Tidal plan changes

Would it keep you from listening if you knew the exact bitrate in advance?
Absolutely not, since generally is the only available...
It could have sense with Bluos and Dirac, they seem to have some rare (but annoying) idiosyncrasies with 88.2KHz in any form.

What... you mean you can't tell just by listening....
This depends on your ears, and indeed your equipment, on some people's speakers you can't hear the difference between Spotify and Hi-res...

What you listen to is also important, some songs are recorded rather badly, as part of the sound desired. I remember one recording where the OG CD sounded worse than an old blank tape.

How does this work with the high res Files..
If it's an older Album and it's high res..
Is this a SACD?
Is it recorded in high res in the first place?
What... you mean you can't tell just by listening....

When i was asking i did listened later on the amp.
I did hear a difference ( my opinion)😀

How does this work with the high res Files..
If it's an older Album and it's high res..
Is this a SACD?
Is it recorded in high res in the first place?

When i was asking i did listened later on the amp.
I did hear a difference ( my opinion)😀
You mean you think they might be misleading you by simply providing an upsampled version? ;)
But the number is bigger, so it has to be better!

I’m not sure if just me or others as well that high resolution sound soft and lack the dynamic in comparison with cd. High resolution did not blow my sock away unlike from vhs to Blu-ray it was significant.

I’m not sure if just me or others as well that high resolution sound soft and lack the dynamic in comparison with cd. High resolution did not blow my sock away unlike from vhs to Blu-ray it was significant.
Can't say I've noticed a softer sound and lack of dynamics with high sample rate music.
Maybe you just need to turn the volume up!

I understand what you mean by your vhs to blu ray and cd to hi res "comparison".
The problem is that many believe this analogy to be true (more pixels => better picture, so more sample points => better sound), and the marketeers, unwittingly or otherwise, perpetuate this.
My normal argument to this is that they can then charge more, but Tidal..... :)

I'm still finding that a very high percentage of the songs I'm listening to that proclaim to be Max are 44.1/24
Really... why bother? ;)

Edit: Wanted to make it clear that I'm referring to the distribution of music, not recording, processing etc.
But at least if you are getting the file in its original format then you know it's not been modified. No harm in that.

Last edited:
Now that I have Tidal 'proper' I had to enable MQA on all my wiims in the app to get the first unfold of MQA tracks.
Well, just because I'm not a believer in high sample rates for high rate sakes, I'm not going to miss out... :ROFLMAO:

Quite sure that is not the first and will not be the last discussion on that field ;-)
My old-fashioned look on Hi-Res when reproducing recordings remains: I can not hear a difference and I don't think anyone can because of limitations by todays hardware and human ears. Nevertheless, I want to have the available limit! (Said for streaming, my other sources deliver the best they can and I can, or will afford.)
According to many Hi-Res critics it continues to serve a purpose where it was originally used: For recording and mixing the music in the studio. Here, Hi-Res audio files are used to avoid artefacts during production and to have a certain scope for processing.
My personal approach is always chosen for what I want at the top of my wishlist: Vinyl. With all its pros and cons. ("Life has surface noise".)
My personal recommendation and experience for people without this lunatic spleen: Take CDs or even streams you love and build your stereo targeted on that. The choice you have is so much bigger than with Hi-Res. And if Hi-Res really is superior it will have benefits from that road too ;-)

I'm still finding that a very high percentage of the songs I'm listening to that proclaim to be Max are 44.1/24
It's the max they can provide ... and technically higher spec than CD, so why not call it HiRes? 😛

WiiM confirmed to me that the app needs adjustment to properly reflect the new Tidal plan. So, for us lowly non-HiFi-Plus crowd, we need to stick to Tidal Connect for now if we want scare off the bats and dogs ...

I understand what you mean by your vhs to blu ray and cd to hi res "comparison".
The problem is that many believe this analogy to be true (more pixels => better picture, so more sample points => better sound), and the marketeers, unwittingly or otherwise, perpetuate this.
My normal argument to this is that they can then charge more, but Tidal.
I mean this is technically true. However in the same way that a 4k copy of a vhs source will look identical to that source. A hi-res copy of something originally on a type 1 tape will still sound like a type 1 tape.

There’s also the question of if your gear and ears can tell the difference, even with a source recorded in hi-res, which is no different from having a non 4k tv or bad eyes limiting the value of 4k pictures

You mean you think they might be misleading you by simply providing an upsampled version? ;)
But the number is bigger, so it has to be better!
😀
It's a difficult discussion I think.
Maybe it's my kind tricking me😀
I heard I difference...

Oh they certainly have, but you do disagree that a 4k image on a non 4k display won't look 4k?
No, of course not!

I disagree that a high res audio source needs great gear and better ears to be able to appreciate it, and that it's not the same as a 4k video on a lower res screen or bad eyesight.

A high res video contains more information than a low res one.
A high sample rate audio file merely contains more data, not more information, if we make the (reasonable) assumption that most only contain information up to 20khz.

But I fear I have dragged this thread off topic.
I can now see the magic numbers that were previously denied to me, by my own choice, and can marvel at the wonders of the first unfold of an MQA file.

It's I difficult discussion isn't it?
Even if there where subtle differences..it would be very important with audio don't you think.?
And what about the dynamics.
The overall listening experience... If there where differences ,even subtle ones _ compared to a cd_it would be important I think.

Think about people saying they can't hear a difference between Spotify and CD quality.
I mean..there are people claiming this.
But if it were subtle changes on hi res.you have to consider all.. including dynamic range and so on.
I'm not an audio expert. But i think any little nuances that can improve sound could be very important.

Last edited:
Why is it DSD never was an succes?
I ask because on could say DSD is high res audio?
It was on SACD wasn't it?

Now thet Tidal has increased streaming resolution to 24/192 if I try to play an album that I known for sure is 24/192 using WiiM home Tidal app I only see 16/44 resolution. If I stream the same album using Tidal Connect I have 24/96 ( this probably because I've set WiiM Mini optical output to 24/96 due my dac limitation)
Could a new API resolve this ?

Now thet Tidal has increased streaming resolution to 24/192 if I try to play an album that I known for sure is 24/192 using WiiM home Tidal app I only see 16/44 resolution. If I stream the same album using Tidal Connect I have 24/96 ( this probably because I've set WiiM Mini optical output to 24/96 due my dac limitation)
Could a new API resolve this ?
There is a new version of the WiiM home app, which resolves this issue.

Back