Spotify "Supremium"

I have been wrestling with this over last couple of days since getting the WiiM Amp and pairing with some second-hand Q Acoustics 2050i'speakers...

I am a long time Spotify subscriber and have a family plan, so I have to keep it for the family whether I choose to use it or not... Yesterday I took out the one-month free trial for Amazon HD and was keen to test it to see the difference in streaming quality. Truth is, I struggled to hear any difference between the Spotify feed and the Amazon HD feed. In addition, I have a good look at both apps and concluded that the Spotify app on iOS, is far superior to the Amazon app and as a premium subscriber, I also get access to a loads of fee audio books on Spotify which I value...

So, my conclusion is that I really want one app for my music, podcasts and audiobooks and as Spotify ticks more boxes than other services, I'll probably stick with it and accept the downside of lower quality streaming through the WiiM Amp. However, i would love it if they introduced a higher quality service - which I'd pay more to subscribe to...
An entirely valid decision. It can't really be denied that Spotify has a good app and if you can't hear the difference between it and hi res on other services which many of us can't irrespective of how "revealing" our kit may or may not be (if only our ears were as good as our kit ;) ), then just enjoy the music which after all is surely the point of this crazy hobby :)

With the 320 Kbps files it also important to look at how good a source is.
If the source is good then offer CD quality i think. I think there is enough music where it would be a improvement to choose for cd quality.
Spotify can make the gap also bigger with youtube. Why not use their influence to make a profit for them and going for subpremium.
Even if there is you tube i think it could be possible..but again what happens on this we cant say anything about this. Just waiting thats all we can do. But i think its important that if they make a choice on this it has to be good in the first place..i think spotify nows this very well.

Again look at Wiim..the app is very good/ its mature..when spotify offers more it has to be good ..they now this. Wiim stands out from the rest..Spotify also( i think) but offering subpremium this is even more important.

Last edited:
I think spotify also has caused the illegal downloads did become much lesser. I dont say it wont happen anymore but because of the convenience,AI features..and so on you are willing to pay.
For me if they offer more..quality,audiobooks im willing to pay more.

With the 320 Kbps files it also important to look at how good a source is.
If the source is good then offer CD quality i think. I think there is enough music where it would be a improvement to choose for cd quality.
Spotify can make the gap also bigger with youtube. Why not use their influence to make a profit for them and going for subpremium.
Even if there is you tube i think it could be possible..but again what happens on this we cant say anything about this. Just waiting thats all we can do. But i think its important that if they make a choice on this it has to be good in the first place..i think spotify nows this very well.

Again look at Wiim..the app is very good/ its mature..when spotify offers more it has to be good ..they now this. Wiim stands out from the rest..Spotify also( i think) but offering subpremium this is even more important.
I can tell a difference between spotify and tital, but only on high end speakers, Most people listen on their tv, or their phone, or as background music while doing something else (eg gaming or working), and as such I doubt that most people even use the 320kb option.

Spotify sounds "good enough" for those sorts of purposes (background music, chilling to a playlist, etc) and there's nothing to stop you buying the cd / vinyl of an album you discover on spotify for a serious music session.

I can tell a difference between spotify and tital, but only on high end speakers, Most people listen on their tv, or their phone, or as background music while doing something else (eg gaming or working), and as such I doubt that most people even use the 320kb option.

Spotify sounds "good enough" for those sorts of purposes (background music, chilling to a playlist, etc) and there's nothing to stop you buying the cd / vinyl of an album you discover on spotify for a serious music session.
I do actually listen mostly to my music through a HiFi setup but as Branthome says maybe my 65 year old ears aren't as sensitive as they once were... And as you say, I have purchased a nice little CD player that I can use for favourites and more concentrated listerning..

Be interesting to see, if it happens, what they charge per month. Especially as others are cutting their subscription costs.

We’ve seen these before from user seeing a code within the app but nothing materialized. Tidal simplified their plan cost that was aligned with Apple and Amazon. If tidal can afford to offer us lower cost, why Spotify can’t without raising its price for loseless?

I would gladly pay extra for Spotify pro. Because there is no Qobuz or Tidal in my country yet.

Just read this and I'm totaly shocked ... nearly double the population of the UK and certainly in your past an unbelievably advanced coutry in terms of technology ... I'm a bit gobsmacked.

Just read this and I'm totaly shocked ... nearly double the population of the UK and certainly in your past an unbelievably advanced coutry in terms of technology ... I'm a bit gobsmacked.
As @Brantome said, I think there are licensing issues and market size. However, it is also true that it is called an IT backward country.
I don't know of any global apps from Japan. Maybe only Pokemon Go. 😂

Back