Spotify "Supremium"

What we all need to know it’s the release date and not vaporware.
Article claims the launch will be in non-U.S. markets first (but no specific date given), then in October in the U.S.

Also no pricing, nor mention of what "high-fidelity" will be, i.e. CD or hi-res bitrates.

Article claims the launch will be in non-U.S. markets first (but no specific date given), then in October in the U.S.

Also no pricing, nor mention of what "high-fidelity" will be, i.e. CD or hi-res bitrates.
Early Q4, their user interface and their connect are among the best. I have feeling this new tier will be 19.99 same as tidal hifi plus.

It seems imminent . When it comes out it will create a lot of damage to the other players . Roon will have to incorporate it .

Sure there is no "need" for Roon! Spotify and Roon are in totally different market segments. What it means for other services like Deezer, Qobuz and Tidal is another issue. Apple and Amazon will survive anyway. Too big and to rich to fail.
But all the industry including Roon will have enough time left to react. I still bet that "Supremium" (if at all) starts earliest late 2024. Hold six bottles of Pommery. 😉

Sure there is no "need" for Roon! Spotify and Roon are in totally different market segments. What it means for other services like Deezer, Qobuz and Tidal is another issue. Apple and Amazon will survive anyway. Too big and to rich to fail.
But all the industry including Roon will have enough time left to react. I still bet that "Supremium" (if at all) starts earliest late 2024. Hold six bottles of Pommery. 😉
I say max until December . Judging by some other features that were leaked and announced soon after , it can even be released this month

Early Q4, their user interface and their connect are among the best. I have feeling this new tier will be 19.99 same as tidal hifi plus.

I think given that pricing I will be more than happy to stay with Qobuz Sublime. I'm not in need of the 20-30 hours/mo. of audiobooks, and all this AI/playlist stuff is not really my thing either, I still listen mostly to albums. Paying $15/mo. and getting big discounts on downloads with Sublime is more valuable to me personally.

It seems imminent . When it comes out it will create a lot of damage to the other players . Roon will have to incorporate it .
The problem with Roon is that it’s niche and as far as I’m aware, it needs the streaming service to provide daily catalogue updates. I suspect Spotify will treat Roon in much the same way as Amazon and Apple appear to do viz. who is Roon anyway and why should we break sweat to give it daily catalogue updates when there’s so little in it for us?

Qobuz, and perhaps to a lesser degree Tidal, needed the exposure and market that Roon could provide: the big guys don’t.

If the rumored pricing from 19.99 for CD quality "only" (for me it is good enough) and more audiobooks (I still can read a real book even as a Grandpa) is near the truth it is simply a chutzpah!
I always preferred niches 😉 life is so noise free in there.
As long as Qobuz exists and Roon is onboard all is fine. If things change there will be other ways. There was a life before streaming and it would be a life without. For sure I would miss the convenience but in extreme living with Amazon or Apple would be no reason for suicide..

The problem with Roon is that it’s niche and as far as I’m aware, it needs the streaming service to provide daily catalogue updates. I suspect Spotify will treat Roon in much the same way as Amazon and Apple appear to do viz. who is Roon anyway and why should we break sweat to give it daily catalogue updates when there’s so little in it for us?

Qobuz, and perhaps to a lesser degree Tidal, needed the exposure and market that Roon could provide: the big guys don’t.
The audiophiles in Tidal and Qobuz could be 15-20% of their total subscribers . If a good chunk of them is to be transferred to Spotify while they pay more than double the price of the average Spotify subscriber ,these guys will bring respectable revenue and if they want roon why not …

@steadyshot
But do you really believe that f.e. the "typical Qobuz" user is willing to change to Spotify? A company that as Tidal pranked the people for so long. Why? My Sublime tier (because I still buy music) is 24,99 € per month and the hi-res tier would be 19.99 € in Qobuz.

@steadyshot
But do you really believe that f.e. the "typical Qobuz" user is willing to change to Spotify? A company that as Tidal pranked the people for so long. Why? My Sublime tier (because I still buy music) is 24,99 € per month and the hi-res tier would be 19.99 € in Qobuz.
If they like to listen to their songs/albums or their playlists that they created by themselves probably not . If they care about AI making relevant playlists and recommendations yes . Assuming that the sound quality is equally great . But if someone finds convenience in AI it will eventually win them over

Also there are many old guard streamers that only supported Spotify connect and the other streaming services only with chrome cast and upnp. These will get a new lease of life ( some of them fairly expensive )

If the rumored pricing from 19.99 for CD quality "only" (for me it is good enough) and more audiobooks (I still can read a real book even as a Grandpa) is near the truth it is simply a chutzpah!
I always preferred niches 😉 life is so noise free in there.
As long as Qobuz exists and Roon is onboard all is fine. If things change there will be other ways. There was a life before streaming and it would be a life without. For sure I would miss the convenience but in extreme living with Amazon or Apple would be no reason for suicide..
Apple, no, but waking up to the prospect of having to deal with Amazon Music's UX every morning would sink me into a daily deep depression at least.

Last edited:
Back