Amp volume level and streaming app volume steps

ihanderson

Family and friends connecting to the Wiim Pro will default to using Spotify or Tidal for volume control convenience, not the Wiim app nor amp volume control. So if using RCA out, the amp volume needs to be fixed. Should amp volume be fixed at 100% or less?
Also, in this set up, the volume steps on Spotify and Tidal apps are wider / less precise when connecting to the Wiim vs those apps connecting to the amp's DAC - ie a single volume step on Spotify to Wiim is say 3dB whereas only 0.5 - 1dB on Spotify to amp DAC. Is there anyway to improve volume precision? Thx

Family and friends connecting to the Wiim Pro will default to using Spotify or Tidal for volume control convenience, not the Wiim app nor amp volume control. So if using RCA out, the amp volume needs to be fixed. Should amp volume be fixed at 100% or less?
Also, in this set up, the volume steps on Spotify and Tidal apps are wider / less precise when connecting to the Wiim vs those apps connecting to the amp's DAC - ie a single volume step on Spotify to Wiim is say 3dB whereas only 0.5 - 1dB on Spotify to amp DAC. Is there anyway to improve volume precision? Thx
As far as I know, there is no way to improve the accuracy of the volume. It depends on the device you connect to and cannot be changed.

You can adjust the volume with the WiiM home app while playing on Spotify connect for a little more fine-grained adjustment.

If so, seems like a flaw or future product request. The Wiim connectivity options imply all household members + guests will utilise its features from their mobile devices, not just a single audiophile. The Wiim app will never replace native Spotify or Tidal app features and convenience for those users.
For me on my Yamaha R-N803 receiver, this means 1) other users will continue to use the Yamaha Spotify Connect (and Airplay, Bluetooth etc) while I alone use the Wiim, and 2) every time I finish using the Wiim, I have to reset the Yamaha volume for other users else when they connect they'll experience 90%+ volume.

If so, seems like a flaw or future product request. The Wiim connectivity options imply all household members + guests will utilise its features from their mobile devices, not just a single audiophile. The Wiim app will never replace native Spotify or Tidal app features and convenience for those users.
For me on my Yamaha R-N803 receiver, this means 1) other users will continue to use the Yamaha Spotify Connect (and Airplay, Bluetooth etc) while I alone use the Wiim, and 2) every time I finish using the Wiim, I have to reset the Yamaha volume for other users else when they connect they'll experience 90%+ volume.
I own a Yamaha AVR. The AVR can set the initial volume when it is on standby. Does your R-N803 have this feature too?

If the initial volume setting is enabled, you don't need to change the volume back to the R-N803.

(Sorry, I may not have understood what you mean.)

I own a Yamaha AVR. The AVR can set the initial volume when it is on standby. Does your R-N803 have this feature too?

If the initial volume setting is enabled, you don't need to change the volume back to the R-N803.

(Sorry, I may not have understood what you mean.)
I leave the receiver on all the time. Otherwise the family will need to turn it on before use, so they'd need Musiccast. Need to check re initial volume.

I leave the receiver on all the time. Otherwise the family will need to turn it on before use, so they'd need Musiccast. Need to check re initial volume.
After checking, the initial volume can be set across all inputs but this requires all Wiim users to then have the Yamaha Musiccast to increase volume past initial setting. Typically those users only use Spotify Connect for full range volume control.

After checking, the initial volume can be set across all inputs but this requires all Wiim users to then have the Yamaha Musiccast to increase volume past initial setting. Typically those users only use Spotify Connect for full range volume control.
Sorry, I can't seem to be of any use to you. Please try submitting a feature request to the support team from the app's feedback.

As an aside,
In the case of Spotify, I noticed that I can't fine-tune the volume with the phone's volume buttons, but I can fine-tune it by moving the slider on the screen.

There is a little trick.
Drag the slider down a bit to move it left or right.

Back