Anybody use Mini for in car audio?

Twonks

Hi everyone.

I'm about to get a new car and maybe re-install my Helix DSP/Amp into it.

One thing this gives me is an optical input, which I have previously used with a USB to optical converter, Apple camera kit and by running cables through the car to my iphone.

Whilst this is relatively easy in the grand scheme, I now have a spare Mini and wondered if I could use that in the rear of the car next to the amp, and play local phone content from my phone wirelessly to the Mini - without using loads of data to play it from Amazon UHD etc.

I've seen something similar about a BT connection in car but also seem to remember seeing something about using a mobile as a wi-fi hub to connect with a Mini without a data (internet) connection - but can't find it again. Also some say it is possible to airplay from phone to Mini but again not sure if this needs a data connection initially to make the sync.

Bit of a long shot but, has anybody done this or heard of the Mini connecting to a phone and playing music without internet?
I've just upgraded the phone to unlimited data, so it may not be a problem anyway, but we have a few data black holes in the UK and I'm intrigued to know what i possible.

Thanks,

I'm about to get a new car ... I now have a spare Mini
:)
I'm guessing this wouldn't be too hard to try out by resetting / connecting the wiim to your hotspot.
I'm too lazy to try it myself, but I'm guesssing you'd need the hotspot on all the time for it to work, but playing local files to the wiim surely can't count towards a data plan.
Famous last words, right...?

Isn’t it normally the case that when you enable a hotspot on your phone it In effect becomes a router so can’t itself then use wifi, which would also disable airplay?

Isn’t it normally the case that when you enable a hotspot on your phone it In effect becomes a router so can’t itself then use wifi, which would also disable airplay?
Maybe, but if the wiim is on the same network as the phone, why wouldn't playing local phone files to it via the wiim home app work?
And that's not meant as a challenge, I'm really asking!
Again, can't be too hard to test it out.

I’m not sure if apps on the phone which is now a hotspot can use the hotspot’s wifi, so unless the Wiim app and files are on another phone connected to that hotspot, you might be stuck. I don’t think all phones stop local wifi when a hotspot is in use, so the op might be lucky

Hi everyone.

I'm about to get a new car and maybe re-install my Helix DSP/Amp into it.

One thing this gives me is an optical input, which I have previously used with a USB to optical converter, Apple camera kit and by running cables through the car to my iphone.

Whilst this is relatively easy in the grand scheme, I now have a spare Mini and wondered if I could use that in the rear of the car next to the amp, and play local phone content from my phone wirelessly to the Mini - without using loads of data to play it from Amazon UHD etc.

I've seen something similar about a BT connection in car but also seem to remember seeing something about using a mobile as a wi-fi hub to connect with a Mini without a data (internet) connection - but can't find it again. Also some say it is possible to airplay from phone to Mini but again not sure if this needs a data connection initially to make the sync.

Bit of a long shot but, has anybody done this or heard of the Mini connecting to a phone and playing music without internet?
I've just upgraded the phone to unlimited data, so it may not be a problem anyway, but we have a few data black holes in the UK and I'm intrigued to know what i possible.

Thanks,
I agree with Brantome, but you may only be able to use Alexacast. Even if i turn off Wi-Fi on my phone, I can still cast it to WiiM via mobile network .

I think they can be tried right away at your home.

However, if you use a hotspot on your phone, you may also worry about frequent music interruptions.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'll have a play before starting the car install and post back my findings.

Back