Anyone have a home music share solution?

@Gazzer, since you're considering the UPNP rabbit hole, you owe it to yourself to consider whether LMS would work better for you, given its other powerful capabilities, and that your WiiM device(s) can serve as Squeezelite endpoints. There are several discussions about this on this site, and lots of other information elsewhere. A lot of NAS devices support LMS OOTB, and it's easy enough to add as a low power front end to your music file repository.
I always seem to find myself down every rabbit hole there is 😊 Sorry but what your suggesting is way over my head.....hence the desire to try and keep things as simple as possible. Right now I'm liking the idea of simple streaming from cloud storage....no bells and whistles.....as long as it plays my flac files at a good standard 👍

Sorry you have total lost me here 😅
I wasn't sure how you identified that a subset of your music was being indexed by the ASUS router, because it could have been a bug in the app (as it is with KODI).
If you get the same result from Bubble then it must be the server, but I've seen ASUS routers serve much more than that before.

I use a Linksys router flashed with OpenWrt and Minidlna installed on it. FLAC files are stored on a external SSD drive connected to a USB port of the router. In my case, the router is also my gateway to internet but you could also use an old dedicated router for the task (this is more or less the equivalent of using a Pi).
Wiim app is working flawlessly.

I use a Linksys router flashed with OpenWrt and Minidlna installed on it. FLAC files are stored on a external SSD drive connected to a USB port of the router. In my case, the router is also my gateway to internet but you could also use an old dedicated router for the task (this is more or less the equivalent of using a Pi).
Same approach, as noted here.

I wasn't sure how you identified that a subset of your music was being indexed by the ASUS router, because it could have been a bug in the app (as it is with KODI).
If you get the same result from Bubble then it must be the server, but I've seen ASUS routers serve much more than that before.
Ah...right. Well the router usb was configured as a media share and left overnight. Next day both WiiM and my smart TV would only browse up to folders starting with M....in my case Mariah Carey ☺️ (I know....I know). In Windows checking how many files in those folders there was exactly 1000 out of a total of approximately 2100.

Thanks....but flashing a brand new router I think is above my pay grade/ability 😅

Now overnight I came across the app Cloudbeats and thought that for a small one off payment would allow me to stream my Flac files from onedrive while keeping/maintaining tags/album art etc. Need to buy premium for Flac support and Chromecast. Now I've set this up I can't see my WiiM as a chromecast device? The function is turned on (seems to have been on as default). Any ideas how to get Chromecast functioning?

Now overnight I came across the app Cloudbeats and thought that for a small one off payment would allow me to stream my Flac files from onedrive while keeping/maintaining tags/album art etc. Need to buy premium for Flac support and Chromecast. Now I've set this up I can't see my WiiM as a chromecast device? The function is turned on (seems to have been on as default). Any ideas how to get Chromecast functioning?
Forget that Chromecast now working 👍

A new user of a Wiim Pro here. Purchased as I read rave reviews about it being the best music centre device for the price. While the streaming side seems to work well I'm less than impressed with the ability to access local music files....something that I would have thought to be a 'bread and butter' function of a music based device!

I now understand the limitations of the Wiim in accessing hard drives directly and that you have to configure a media share.

I have so far tried using some old D-link dns-320 NAS units...was not expecting much and was right....while you could access folders on the drives through Wiim there were no music file info, art work etc and operation through Wiim was extremely clunky....having to stab at the folder icons several times before you gained access.

I thought I had stumbled across an ideal solution when I connected a USB drive to my new Asus router configured as a media share. While all the file tags are read and album art available, I've just realised that only about half of my music collection is presented....presumably Asus have some limitation on the number of files their 'media share' can process. While the response on the Wiim in accessing this media share was better it still seemed a bit clunky and slow at least compared to my smart TV which allowed smooth and quick access to the 'share'

So to my question. Does anyone have a fully working solution for local media files....which does not involve having to leave a computer switched on permanently? Maybe some new media share NAS that plays nice with Wiim? I would also be interested if anyone else has found the access to Wiim Home Music Share to be slow or clunky, I.e you have to hit folders or albums icon several times in different combinations to get the Wiim app to respond?
I successfully use a synolgy NAS as un upnpserver. I tried both the native Synolgy Media Server and the AssetUpnp application. Both work fast and are reliable.

A new user of a Wiim Pro here. Purchased as I read rave reviews about it being the best music centre device for the price. While the streaming side seems to work well I'm less than impressed with the ability to access local music files....something that I would have thought to be a 'bread and butter' function of a music based device!

I now understand the limitations of the Wiim in accessing hard drives directly and that you have to configure a media share.

I have so far tried using some old D-link dns-320 NAS units...was not expecting much and was right....while you could access folders on the drives through Wiim there were no music file info, art work etc and operation through Wiim was extremely clunky....having to stab at the folder icons several times before you gained access.

I thought I had stumbled across an ideal solution when I connected a USB drive to my new Asus router configured as a media share. While all the file tags are read and album art available, I've just realised that only about half of my music collection is presented....presumably Asus have some limitation on the number of files their 'media share' can process. While the response on the Wiim in accessing this media share was better it still seemed a bit clunky and slow at least compared to my smart TV which allowed smooth and quick access to the 'share'

So to my question. Does anyone have a fully working solution for local media files....which does not involve having to leave a computer switched on permanently? Maybe some new media share NAS that plays nice with Wiim? I would also be interested if anyone else has found the access to Wiim Home Music Share to be slow or clunky, I.e you have to hit folders or albums icon several times in different combinations to get the Wiim app to respond?
I just setup windows network media sharing. Seems to be working well with my new mini. It is a built in windows DNLA server.
Google and research how to configure

I just setup windows network media sharing. Seems to be working well with my new mini. It is a built in windows DNLA server.
Google and research how to configure
Do yourself a favour and take a look at MinimServer as Windows Media Sharing has problems with track ordering (for multi-disc albums) and search.

Back