Plex on Amazon Fire HD 8

Rnspears

I have put all of my personal music files on a new Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet, which I can play via bluetooth over by receiver/amp. What I am trying to know is, if I purchase a WiiM Pro Plus and attach to my network and my receiver/amplifier, will the WiiM Pro Plus see and connect to my Amazon Fire HD8 music files (over wifi) if I use Plex Server to share the files? Plex is available via the Amazon Play Store.

Thanks. Rick

Last edited:
The WiiM Pro Plus hardware is purely the player, it needs controlling software to instruct it what to play and from where. In the WiiM world the WiiM Home App is that controller but I don't believe it's available on the Amazon app store (unless you've installed the Google Play Store) so this will need to be installed on another device. There is other controller software out there, but the WiiM Home App will still need to be installed somewhere for the initial setup of the hardware.

If Plex can run on the Fire HD 8 and serve music over UPnP then yes, the WiiM Home App on another device will be able to see the files stored on your tablet and instruct the WiiM Pro Plus to play them from the Fire tablet.
You can test this setup now by installing BubbleUPnP onto your controlling device (or mconnect if on iOS) to see if it can discover and play from Plex on your tablet.

I've never installed Plex on a tablet, but assuming it's not just server software it may also be possible to play from that to the WiiM Pro Plus over Chromecast, although this wouldn't be gapless.

Last edited:
The WiiM Pro Plus hardware is purely the player, it needs controlling software to instruct it what to play and from where. In the WiiM world the WiiM Home App is that controller but I don't believe it's available on the Amazon app store (unless you've installed the Google Play Store) so this will need to be installed on another device. There is other controller software out there, but the WiiM Home App will still need to be installed somewhere for the initial setup of the hardware.

If Plex can run on the Fire HD 8 and serve music over UPnP then yes, the WiiM Home App on another device will be able to see the files stored on your tablet and instruct the WiiM Pro Plus to play them from the Fire tablet.
You can test this setup now by installing BubbleUPnP onto your controlling device (or mconnect if on iOS) to see if it can discover and play from Plex on your tablet.

I've never installed Plex on a tablet, but assuming it's not just server software it may also be possible to play from that to the WiiM Pro Plus over Chromecast, although this wouldn't be gapless.
simbun. Thank you. I will test as suggested with mconnect on my iPhone. I will likely end up with Wiim Home App on my Iphone to control and play my music anyway. I think the Plex is both player and server. I will be setting up today and test. Thanks. Rick

simbun. Thank you. I will test as suggested with mconnect on my iPhone. I will likely end up with Wiim Home App on my Iphone to control and play my music anyway. I think the Plex is both player and server. I will be setting up today and test. Thanks. Rick
Just bear in mind that the WiiM Home app is quite limited when browsing local media so mconnect or PlexAmp (over Chromecast) may be the better option.

There is mention of the WiiM hardware becoming a Plex endpoint at some point. If that were to happen the PlexAmp app would see the WiiM natively and you'll no longer have the limitations of Chromecast.

You will need to explicitly switch on UPnP/DLNA support inside Plex.
I have not been able to find where to switch on UPnP/DLNA in plex on my Amazon Tablet. Can you tell me where to find this setting?

Its under Settings / DLNA
I don't find in my settings. I wonder if the Amazon Tablet version of Plex is a simplified version of Plex without that feature. It does allow "Advertise as Server" checked under Sharing. Says only to share to other Plex apps.. I am trying to find with Mconnect on my iPhone to test if WiiM will see it as suggested above

hate to be a pain and waste your time.. but when I try to open http://localhost:32400/ on my Amazon Tablet I get the message site cannot be reached. I am connected to internet and double checked my spelling etc. carefully..

If there is no response then the version of Plex you have installed does not include any server components (which isn't a great surprise).

If there is no response then the version of Plex you have installed does not include any server components (which isn't a great surprise).
I believe you are probably correct. Thanks a lot for help.

Forget Plex and use the excellent BubbleUPnp app to play your local files to your WiiM device.
BubbleUP works! my Mconnect on iphone sees the bubbleupNP on my Amazon Fire HD! Thank you. So I believe it is now likely that the WiiM Pro Plus will see the files!

BubbleUP works! my Mconnect on iphone sees the bubbleupNP on my Amazon Fire HD! Thank you. So I believe it is now likely that the WiiM Pro Plus will see the files!
Personally I’d just use BubbleUPNP app on the Fire HD and choose local media (i.e. the fire hd) as you music source and the Pro Plus as the player/renderer and not involve your iPhone/mConnect at all, unless you have another reason for doing that.

Personally I’d just use BubbleUPNP app on the Fire HD and choose local media (i.e. the fire hd) as you music source and the Pro Plus as the player/renderer and not involve your iPhone/mConnect at all, unless you have another reason for doing that.
Agree. I don't have a WiiM Pro Plus yet. So I was just using my phone with Mconnect just to test. Now that it works I will purchase the WiiM and not be using my iPhone at all.

BubbleUPnP relies on the Android media scanner which indexes all the files and stores the metadata in a database that the BubbleUPnP app then accesses.
I know there are some limitations to this process related to the Android version and the location of the media, but if you're seeing album art in the app then you should be good to go.
KODI seems to serve over UPnP, I haven't tried Plex yet. KODI would give you artist artwork and a greater selection of indexes including recently added, but if you don't need them then don't complicate things further.

Last edited:
I'm using my NVIDIA Shield Pro as Plex server with UPNP enabled. My Wiim devices (mini, Pro and Amp) see the server. You must browse through folders it's the only thing.

Back