Looking for suggestions: replacing Plex (Linux/Android)

axellieb

My current setup - which I want to replace: Windows 8 PC with the CD collection, all FLAC. Plex Server. Plex player on Android, playing via Chromecast Audio device. Other audio apps used: TuneIn, Amazon Music.

What I want to do: replace Windows 8 with some Linux distro, and Plex with some media server app that works on Linux. If possible, also replace TuneIn.

I know that Plex works on Linux. But both Plex and TuneIn have ballooned into fields I have no interest in. I don't need any video capabilities, this is supposed to be purely for music. At the very least, I'd like to keep all the video stuff out of the home screen. I do want to be able to browse by both artist name and album name.

I have the Wiim Pro in my hands now. This will take the place of the old Chromecast Audio device.

Suggestions? What should I replace Plex with? Any media server that's been noted to work particularly well with the Wiim player?

Last edited:
I do want to be able to browse by both artist name and album name.

I have the Wiim Pro in my hands now. This will take the place of the old Chromecast Audio device.

Suggestions? What should I replace Plex with? Any media server that's been noted to work particularly well with the Wiim player?
A UPnP server (MinimServer free or licensed) with the WiiM Home app may suffice, but it's hard to tell as you haven't touched on your desired functionality e.g. playlist management.

I am also going to say LMS but will add that Plex does work on Linux with no issue - just don't point it at anything except music.

A UPnP server (MinimServer free or licensed) with the WiiM Home app may suffice, but it's hard to tell as you haven't touched on your desired functionality e.g. playlist management.

Thanks. Yes, I do want to be able to define playlists, and to browse by album or artist name. Tagging by genre or such isn't that important. Not sure what else there might be....

I am also going to say LMS but will add that Plex does work on Linux with no issue - just don't point it at anything except music.

I may just not understand how Plex works but the Android player doesn't seem to allow me to move things around. The video stuff and online services come front and center, while my music library can only be found by scrolling down, clicking on "More" and then finding it on the next screen that opens.

I don't know what things would look like if I used the Wiim app instead and accessed the Plex server via DLNA.

I may just not understand how Plex works but the Android player doesn't seem to allow me to move things around. The video stuff and online services come front and center, while my music library can only be found by scrolling down, clicking on "More" and then finding it on the next screen that opens.

I don't know what things would look like if I used the Wiim app instead and accessed the Plex server via DLNA.
I wouldn't bother with DLNA, the WiiM implementation isn't very good.

Thanks. Yes, I do want to be able to define playlists, and to browse by album or artist name. Tagging by genre or such isn't that important. Not sure what else there might be....
The DLNA functionality within the WiiM Home app is very limited making even basic playlist management impossible, but there is further Plex integration planned soon (although no idea what that means at the moment).

Have you tried installing PlexAmp on your phone and casting to the Pro using Chromecast?

I think PlexAmp is ok but it still falls some way short of the experience you get with LMS and Material skin.

I have a Plex server pointed at the same files as an LMS server. I use LMS/Material everywhere except in the car where Plexamp provides CarPlay.

From a UI perspective PlexAmp is a lot more polished, but I don't think it does radio so you'd still need all 3 apps, instead of possibly 2 with LMS.

From a UI perspective PlexAmp is a lot more polished, but I don't think it does radio so you'd still need all 3 apps, instead of possibly 2 with LMS.
Why 2 with LMS? Internet Radio is included with better coverage than TuneIn. Most if not all of what is available in TuneIn is available via LMS. Probably wouldn't need anything else at all.

@axellieb also uses Amazon Music. This is one of the reasons I initially mentioned the WiiM app, because it - to some degree - covers all the bases.
@d6jg @simbun Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

BTW, I'm not fixated on Amazon Music. I just have it because as an Amazon Prime customer, I found it convenient. Is there a good alternative that will work within the LMS/Material package?

Last edited:
Have you tried installing PlexAmp on your phone and casting to the Pro using Chromecast?
That would be my suggestion as well. You will not see any of the video capabilities of Plex. I have actually just moved away from LMS. It is still running in my network, but have not used it since I bought the WiiMs in the last week of December.

Plexamp just has a better interface than LMS and Plex is also beter in organizing content than LMS.

So keep Plex on your server and use Plexamp as the client on your phone or tablet.

That would be my suggestion as well. You will not see any of the video capabilities of Plex. I have actually just moved away from LMS. It is still running in my network, but have not used it since I bought the WiiMs in the last week of December.

Plexamp just has a better interface than LMS and Plex is also beter in organizing content than LMS.

So keep Plex on your server and use Plexamp as the client on your phone or tablet.
Thanks for the additional perspective! I'm moving the machine to Linux so I will need to reinstall Plex for a head-to-head with LMS.

Back