Two times WiiM Pro Plus

Qnots

For almost twenty years I have had several Squeezeboxes in my home network (the first ones branded Slim Devices, the last ones Logitech). The latest setup was a Squeezebox Touch in my living room, connected to a Pioneer receiver, and a Squeezebox Boom in my study. The living room and study are openly connected, so I had both devices synchronized all the time. Also, in my bedroom a Google Home speaker and using a plugin in the Logitech Media Server to be able to use Google devices as LMS endpoints as well.

Even though this setup was working very well and would have continued to keep on working well, I was ready for something new. Main requirements, Spotify Connect, Plex support, scrobbling to Last.FM and the ability to sync both devices. Spotify was of course working with the Spotty plugin and for playing local content I did not need Plex, as LMS could do that as well. Spotify Connect worked also worked in the Spotty plugin, but then I was either getting double scrobbles with Last.FM, or I would have to enable and disable Spotify scrobbling all the time, depening on which device I was playing on. Of course, that was only my rational reasoning that allowed me to buy something new :cool:

So at first I bought one WiiM Pro Plus for my living room. It arrived the day after Christmas. I hooked it up to the Pioneer receiver and before I did any setup it was already found by Logitech Media Server and could play from it. So, after setup I removed the Squeezebox Touch straight away as it had no use anymore. The WiiM is in the same location as the Squeezebox Touch was. The Furby and Rapping Christmas Tree haven been there for ages, to block the view on the gaping hole in the back of the cabinets where the cables go through. Previously there was a Humax PVR in that location.

1704022383359.png

Synced playing worked well with the Squeezebox Boom, but the same day I decided that the Boom needed to be replaced as well. So I ordered a second WiiM Pro Plus, but now had to find a speaker to connect to it. Two stereo speakers would required reconfiguring my whole desk and placement of the speakers would still not be ideal. But while googling I found the Edifier D12. It is a stereo speaker in a single cabinet with Bluetooth, Line-in and AUX inputs. Nothing smart to it, no WiFi, but of course I didn't need that. It is a little bigger than the Squeezebox Boom was. I think that causes it to have a little better sound as well, especially the bass is more pronounced. And the WiiM fits nicely on top of it.

1704023074540.png

So now the Squeezebox Boom is also retired and I can play any way I want. Either cast from the Spotify or Plexamp app, or still use LMS although I have not been using that for the past 5 days.

I will keep on using the Google Home in my bedroom, but now also mainly playing directly from Spotify or Plexamp and not via LMS.

Would be great if WiiM implements direct Plex casting and not via Chromecast, so I can use Plexamp on the desktop as well. But for now, this is great.

Greetings from a happy camper!

Last edited:
Back