Coastal Source + WiiM Pro Plus

MorganWebb

Tried to find a reference in the forums for this particular "feature" and have not yet found it.

Specific feature: Controlling volume for a group of players linked together. Thought I would describe my setup.

I have 16 WiiM Pro Plus

This is actually a mobile demo setup for our amps and speakers from Coastal Source. Our amps have four analog inputs so we can easily arrange two WiiM Pro Plus as sources using stereo RCA.

AMPS
(2) CRS600/4
(1) CRS700/4
(3) CRS1400/4
(2) CRS2800/4

That is 8 amps connected to the 16 WiiM Pro Plus.
The amps also have four speaker outputs. This allows us to connect and sample a large number of our products. My setup currently has the following speakers:
SPEAKERS
(4) Contour
(4) Modulus
(4) 8.0 Mini
(2) 10.0 2 Way
(2) 10.0 3 Way
(2) 12.0 Line Source
(2) RZ110
(2) RZ210
(2) RZ220
(2) RZ310
(2) RZ350
(1) 10.0 Bollard Sub
(1) 14.0 Bollard Sub
(1) 18.0 Bollard Sub

Ideally we can arrange these in any number of ways. For end users we would never setup this many - it's just overwhelming. But for our direct dealers and for training them we likely would setup ALL these speakers to demo. It would then require playing music and changing from one WiiM player to another seamlessly. Also allowing for pairs of WiiM to be playing simultaneously. And doing the switching in a way that allows for a smooth demo.

My first attempt was to just create a linked group of WiiM players and attempt to do the control that way - but the volume control does not allow this to work well.
Anytime the group volume is used it turns on ALL the WiiM players. Not how we want our demo to go. It appears we may need to leave the WiiM unlinked for individual demo then link only when we want to play two together. The bummer is we may want to quickly play one set of speakers with a sub and then another set of speakers with the same sub. If they're all linked this could be easy by just muting the speakers not being tested and switching them that way.

This is a work in progress with these relatively new devices. Thought others might find our use case interesting and I'll watch for any feedback or questions on this thread. Happy listening... and demoing!

Morgan

Back