4 Speaker, 3 Room Setup Advice

maple

I have 4 (8 ohm) ceiling speakers in 3 rooms:
  • 2 in the living room (vaulted ceiling, one on each side)
  • 1 in the kitchen (next to living room, open doorway)
  • 1 in the bathroom
They're all wired to the same access panel. Their primary use will be playing music from Spotify (probably via Airplay 2). They can all share one source.
I know I can power them all with a single WiiM Amp, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to control the rooms (volume, toggle on/off) independently. What is the best way to achieve that? The most logical solution is to run 3 WiiM Amps (1 for living room, 1 for kitchen, 1 for bathroom), but that's way overkill since the house is so small. It's also considerably above my budget.

My current plan is to use 1 WiiM Amp, run through a Monoprice speaker selector, which will enable me to adjust the volume and toggle specific speakers on and off, but it'd be a physical toggle in my bedroom closet.

I think I could almost achieve what I'm looking to do with 2 separate WiiM amps, one for the living room and one for the kitchen/bathroom (one speaker on each channel), but I'm not sure that would allow me the amount of control I'm looking to achieve. Is it possible to control the channels independently via the app? If so, how user friendly is the interface?

Seems like this might be a better speaker selector.

I also found this device, which could get me the functionality I want, but the reviews are mixed and I'd much rather be able to do it all through one app (WiiM).

I have 4 (8 ohm) ceiling speakers in 3 rooms:
  • 2 in the living room (vaulted ceiling, one on each side)
  • 1 in the kitchen (next to living room, open doorway)
  • 1 in the bathroom
They're all wired to the same access panel. Their primary use will be playing music from Spotify (probably via Airplay 2). They can all share one source.
I know I can power them all with a single WiiM Amp, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to control the rooms (volume, toggle on/off) independently. What is the best way to achieve that? The most logical solution is to run 3 WiiM Amps (1 for living room, 1 for kitchen, 1 for bathroom), but that's way overkill since the house is so small. It's also considerably above my budget.

My current plan is to use 1 WiiM Amp, run through a Monoprice speaker selector, which will enable me to adjust the volume and toggle specific speakers on and off, but it'd be a physical toggle in my bedroom closet.

I think I could almost achieve what I'm looking to do with 2 separate WiiM amps, one for the living room and one for the kitchen/bathroom (one speaker on each channel), but I'm not sure that would allow me the amount of control I'm looking to achieve. Is it possible to control the channels independently via the app? If so, how user friendly is the interface?
My suggestion is to install 2-3 WiiMs and 1-2 power amplifiers.

Since the living room and kitchen are connected, one WiiM amp (or WiiM + power amp) outputs to three speakers.

A separate WiiM mini and power amp are installed in the bathroom, and monaural playback is played on WiiM.

I think the power amplifier is good with Fosi V3 or something similar.

Edit;
No speaker selector required. I think that's very troublesome. It's easy to link multiple WiiM devices with the WiiM app and play them in a multi-room.

Also, if you only use Spotify, you can simply select the WiiM you want to cast. If you don't need to play the same music in living room and bathroom at the same time, you can skip the WiiM app.

Last edited:
I think that's a good suggestion, thank you.

Having considered that, I think I want to run 3 WiiM minis paired with AIYIMA A07 MAX 2 amps.

One question I have is about audio syncing. I saw that the mini uses a built-in mic to sync audio when grouped, but I plan to have all 3 of the located in the same closet where the speaker wire terminates. Is that going to cause a problem for synchronization? Is there a way to adjust latency manually? May not even be an issue.

I think that's a good suggestion, thank you.

Having considered that, I think I want to run 3 WiiM minis paired with AIYIMA A07 MAX 2 amps.

One question I have is about audio syncing. I saw that the mini uses a built-in mic to sync audio when grouped, but I plan to have all 3 of the located in the same closet where the speaker wire terminates. Is that going to cause a problem for synchronization? Is there a way to adjust latency manually? May not even be an issue.
Yes, You can sync it manually. However, auto sync should be fine. 🙂

Back