Looking for advice

dmill

Hello, I'm at the beginning of the multiroom music journey and I'd like some advice. Here is what I already have:

1. Kitchen: A set of Edifier bluetooth speakers, with a wired sub (the Edifier has a 3.5mm input - but I usually connect by BT from my phone)
2. Basement: PA system (Soundboard with powered speakers)
3. A small portable bluetooth speaker (has a 3.5mm input)
4. A Mac Mini, iphone, ipad, Android phone, Android tablet, that can be used as a player
5. Everything is on wifi with no ethernet wiring in the house

So you can see I don't have a lot :)

I am looking for a cost effective way to stream the same audio to at least 4 places - the Kitchen, Living room, Basement and a portable speaker.

How many Wiim devices do I need?
Should I consider getting some speakers that are Wiim compatible?

Any advice would be awesome!

That depends on your budget and whether a small lag - Bluetooth - in some locations is acceptable?

The best solution would involve 4 x WiiM all connected to either powered speakers or amp and speakers.

1. Kitchen - WiiM wired to Edifier
2. Basement - WiiM wired to Soundboard (is this possible?)
3. Replace Bluetooth speaker perhaps with AirPlay speaker ?
4. ??

You don't actually say what you currenly use in the Living Room?

Seems like the simplest approach would be to make sure every speaker is an AirPlay 'speaker'. To achieve this either the speaker will have AirPlay built in, or you purchase a WiiM Mini, Pro or Pro Plus and connect it to the input of a powered speaker turning which will turn the speaker into an AirPlay speaker, or you buy a WiiM Amp and connect it to a pair of passive speakers which will power the speakers and turn it into an AirPlay device.

You can mix all three as desired.

Thanks! These are helpful answers.

OK, I think I'm getting close.

Kitchen: Wiim mini, wired to Edifier R1700BT --> Sub
Living room: Wiim mini, wired to Edifier R1700BT --> Sub
Basement: Wiim mini, wired to Soundboard --> Power PA speakers
Portable: BT or Airplay speaker, compatible with Wiim (?) - what is good for under $200?

You might want one of the minis to be at least a Pro. That way the WiiM can also be an AirPlay casting device. The differences between the models can be found on this page: https://wiimhome.com/wiimpro/overview

If you like the Edifier speakers you own, I would check out the Edifier MS50A for an AirPlay speaker under $200. If you want stereo speakers, then your best bet is a WiiM Mini and a pair of Edifier powered speakers, Edifier R1280T perhaps.

If you really want to play all 4 simultaneously then it would be best to have 4 x WiiM. A BT speaker with lag a little.
As someone else said 1 should be a Pro Plus as the master if Airplay is involved

Back