Need TV help.

Ineedhelp!

Hi!
I have 4 ceiling speakers in my kitchen that all run to a rack in my basement. I hooked up my WIIM amp in the basement to the speakers and they work fine. I also have a Samsung TV in the kitchen that I could plug into a Ethernet Cat 6 cable that goes to the basement. I want the TV audio to play on the ceiling speakers. I was told to put a audio extractor behind the TV, plugging it into the Cat 6 cable going down and then to the TV ARC slot using a HDMI cable. I was then suppose to put the other audio extractor in the basement and connect it to the ARC slot in the WIIM amp. I tried this and it does not work. Does anyone know what to do to make this work? Thank you!!!

Hi!
I have 4 ceiling speakers in my kitchen that all run to a rack in my basement. I hooked up my WIIM amp in the basement to the speakers and they work fine. I also have a Samsung TV in the kitchen that I could plug into a Ethernet Cat 6 cable that goes to the basement. I want the TV audio to play on the ceiling speakers. I was told to put a audio extractor behind the TV, plugging it into the Cat 6 cable going down and then to the TV ARC slot using a HDMI cable. I was then suppose to put the other audio extractor in the basement and connect it to the ARC slot in the WIIM amp. I tried this and it does not work. Does anyone know what to do to make this work? Thank you!!!
Can you draw a diagram of what kind of wiring it is?

Perhaps the wiring is wrong, and you need to connect the Optical-out of the audio extractor connected to the TV and the Optical-in of the WiiM amp with an optical cable.

Hi Wiimer..thanks for the quick response! I will try and draw something when I get home. I may have the wrong kind of extractor, the one I have doesnt have Optical out, just HDMI that goes to the TV ARC. Do you know which audio extractor has worked on the WIIM and I will be happy to purchase it?

Hi,
I may be wrong.
Can you connect my TV to a WIIM amp with an optical digital cable (or optical HDMI cable)?
If you can do that, you don't need a voice extractor.

What is the distance from the TV to WiiM amp?

Hi. I cant connect the TV directly to the WIIM amp. The TV is on the first floor of the house and I have to put the WIIM in the basement because that's where all the speaker wires go to.

This is the extractor I am using

I’d imagine you’d need converters that explicitly support ARC and possibly CEC. It could be the case that the WiiM Amp doesn’t get an appropriate response talking to the convertor at its end and therefore would fail. Plus it’s possible that if it’s just a physical convertor that the HDMI signal can’t be propagated over the distance irrespective of theme as without some active components.
Sounds like you need the advice of an AV tech - hopefully there’s one here ;)

Thank you for your help! Hopefully someone will know how. I hooked up the WIIM amp for music and it works great!

Sorry, I mistook it for an HDMI audio separator. I'm not even an AV tech.

In the opinion of an amateur, it may be better to do wiring work. 😅

a lot of houses have coaxial cabling still in situ that isn't being used (because a lot of cable internet has transitioned to fibre and TV has transitioned to streaming). i'm talking about the old RG-6/7 etc cables.

it's not meant to be ideal for audio, but it works. if you can get coax out of your TV using (for example an ifi S/PDIF ipurifier as a toslink>coax adapter + reclocker) you can then use the existing coax cabling to where the amp is.

you'd need another coax>toslink converter though cos the amp only has toslink in. (a BNC adapter is included in the box with each ipurifier, so you wouldn't need to actually add much assuming the cabling already exists)

Back