Audio input issues and amp is warm after being on standby overnight

matd

Hey all, I just received my wiim amp 2 days ago. I have been enjoying it a lot, there are just two things that are concerning to me. I was hoping someone could shed some light on these issues that I'm having.

1. I noticed after it being on standby overnight, it is very noticeably warm in the morning. I am certain I "turned it off" / put it on standby at night, and the light still indicated it was on standby in the morning. It was not hot...just warm. Is anyone else having this with their amp?

2. This issue has been more of a frustration. I have my TV (a 5 year old smart Sony tv) connected via hdmi arc (both TV and amp have a labeled "arc" hdmi port). Everything was working as it should- the TV remote was controlling both TV and amp volume, audio was working, all was good. Then I realized that only some streaming platforms from the TV would send audio signal to the amp. Streaming Thursday night football worked through Amazon, then I tried to watch something else via amazon...and the audio was not working. Then I tried watching cable tv...and the audio was not going through. Then I tried something on netflix...and the audio was not working. Then I tried something on hulu....and the audio worked! I was very confused!

As a quick fix, I unplugged the hdmi and subbed it out with optical. And it worked instantly. Fast forward 10 hours... turned on the TV (still using optical) and all of a sudden none of the streaming platforms were sending signal through. Now I'm really confused. (This was directly after an amp update)

I spent 15 minutes going through all setting on the amp and on my TV, rebooted the amp, restarted the TV, unplugging cables, plugging them back in...and what seemed like out of the blue the audio started working again.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when the audio goes through or not. Im wondering if it is just a compatibility issue between my tv and the amp with the hdmi arc, but the optical should be 100% consistent...and its not. Im really confused on this one. Anyone have any insight for me. I really like thenamp other than this and want to keep it, but if this is an issue everytime i go to watch something with my tv, i definitely will not be keeping it.

(There were many times where it wasn't working and in my tv settings, I confirmed that it was set to external speakers and not tv speakers.

I’m not sure that the WiiM can deal with anything other than 2 channel PCM input. What does the TV send? Some of those services will try to send Dolby Digital

I’m not sure that the WiiM can deal with anything other than 2 channel PCM input. What does the TV send? Some of those services will try to send Dolby Digital
I'm glad you mentioned that. I did some more digging and was able to turn on "always send PCM." That fixed the issue while using the optical cable...BUT im still not getting any audio with the hdmi arc. It helps a lot that I can now rely on optical to work, but it would be nice if I could use the benefits that hdmi arc offers. Thanks for your help!

I'm glad you mentioned that. I did some more digging and was able to turn on "always send PCM." That fixed the issue while using the optical cable...BUT im still not getting any audio with the hdmi arc. It helps a lot that I can now rely on optical to work, but it would be nice if I could use the benefits that hdmi arc offers. Thanks for your help!
Hi Matd,

Could you kindly verify that the HDMI ARC is set as the input source in your WiiM Home App? It's also important to ensure that the port used on your TV is specifically designated for HDMI ARC, as opposed to a standard HDMI Out port. These steps are crucial for getting audio from your TV.

If, after these checks, you're still experiencing issues with the audio, please don't hesitate to submit a feedback ticket directly through the WiiM Home App. We are committed to addressing your concerns promptly and will initiate troubleshooting immediately upon receiving your ticket.

Your satisfaction is our top priority, and we appreciate your cooperation in resolving this matter. Thank you!

Hi. Thanks for your response. Yes, I verified that I am using the correct labeled "hdmi arc" port. In fact, like I said in the initial posts, I was able to control the volume of both the TV and amp woth my tv remote and I was getting some sound. But even now, after I adjusted the TV to "send PCM only" the audio does not work with the hdmi cable. It does however work with the optical cable. And yes, I for sure was on the hdmi input for the amp.

Hi. Thanks for your response. Yes, I verified that I am using the correct labeled "hdmi arc" port. In fact, like I said in the initial posts, I was able to control the volume of both the TV and amp woth my tv remote and I was getting some sound. But even now, after I adjusted the TV to "send PCM only" the audio does not work with the hdmi cable. It does however work with the optical cable. And yes, I for sure was on the hdmi input for the amp.
Hi, any luck in the meantime?

I have the same issue. No sound through ARC. Everything else seems correct: set to PCM, HDMI selected, can control Wiim Amp volume through TV remote, ... now the only thing I'm missing is sound ;) (it's a Sony with Google TV)

Last edited:
Hi, any luck in the meantime?

I have the same issue. No sound through ARC. Everything else seems correct: set to PCM, HDMI selected, can control Wiim Amp volume through TV remote, ... now the only thing I'm missing is sound ;) (it's a Sony with Google TV)
If it is like my Sony then the eARC setting has to be off, and you will need to reboot the TV if you make a change.

1. I noticed after it being on standby overnight, it is very noticeably warm in the morning. I am certain I "turned it off" / put it on standby at night, and the light still indicated it was on standby in the morning. It was not hot...just warm. Is anyone else having this with their amp?

Since you posted, WiiM released firmware for the Amp that reduced standby power consumption down to under 4w which should help with the warmth you’re noticing. I have mine on a smart plug which would help that too.

This is a general troubleshooting for HDMI connections.

Unplug and turn off your TV and WiiM cables. Next, disconnect all HDMI cables. After a few minutes, connect the HDMI cable correctly and turn it on.

I‘m an idiot. I just had to turn up the volume to levels I never had to use before. To then realise that there is a seperate setting for digital audio output level on my TV (which was set really low at the time).

Thanks anyway for all the tips!

people say “their amp is warm overnight” mine is warm and I asked the same question here, but I listed a fact of actual temperature of 20f over air temp by using an IR thermometer. It’s not proper to make a complaint unless you give an actual temperature to prove you really have a complaint ! And what is normal? I don’t know and WiiM never said what’s normal !

people say “their amp is warm overnight” mine is warm and I asked the same question here, but I listed a fact of actual temperature of 20f over air temp by using an IR thermometer. It’s not proper to make a complaint unless you give an actual temperature to prove you really have a complaint ! And what is normal? I don’t know and WiiM never said what’s normal !
Well I can tell you that my Denon N10, which is pretty much the same thing, on network controlled (woken) standby, is completely cool / cold to touch in the morning.

Looking at photos of the WiiM Amp internals, I think the only reason why it feels a bit warm to the touch vs other amps is because the thermal design is so excellent. The entire metal case is a heatsink and thus it's constantly dissipating heat vs insulating an internal heatsink with an air gap.

When my amp is turned on, I meausre about 10K higher temperature vs ambient. Are you sure your amp switched into standby and you have the current firmware installed?
In standby there should be no significant higher temperature.

When my amp is turned on, I meausre about 10K higher temperature vs ambient. Are you sure your amp switched into standby and you have the current firmware installed?
In standby there should be no significant higher temperature.

Mine is barely 4C above the top wooden shelf it's on and isn't warm to the touch, while the Pro Plus on the glass shelf below (with 4" headroom) is actually 2C warmer than the Amp, with my Fire TV Cube 2C warmer again. Nothing that noticeable now tbh...

Back