Problems connecting via HDMI arc

Paddyi

Recently bought a Wiim Amp and just wanted a bit of advice about if I have set it up correctly as I'm having a problem switching audio sources. It's connected to my Samsung TV via the TV's HDMI eARC port. Also connected to another HDMI port on my Samsung TV is an Apple TV.

Initially everything worked fine. Audio was playing from the Apple TV through the Wiim Amp and I could control the amp volume with the Apple TV remote control. Problems arose when I then streamed music via Spotify or Airplay 2 directly to the Wiim Amp. When I then tried to play something on the Apple TV again no audio would play through the amp. Audio Input setting had changed to Wifi but even if I manually selected HDMI (I'd assumed it would automatically know I had stopped Spotify and understand the source was the Apple TV) nothing would play, and if I tapped the volume button on the Apple TV remote it would change the volume on the TV set, not the amp.

I've rebooted the amp a few times and the problem still arises, occasionally if I manually change the audio input setting to HDMI in the Wiim amp app it would recognise this and audio through the Apple TV would play but most of the time it doesn't.

I've tried using an optical cable and the problem doesn't arise and the amp automatically switches input from Wifi to optical when I've been streaming Spotify directly to it and then start watching something on the Apple TV. I could just use optical permanently but I want to be able to use the Apple TV remote to control the Wiim Amp's volume.

On the Apple TV settings I've tried changing the Audio format from Auto to Stereo but I still have the issue. And on the TV settings I've tried change audio output from PCM to passthrough and to auto which doesn't fix things. HDMI-eARC mode is off but I've tried this as Auto and nothing was solved.

Tl,dr: When the Amp is connected via HDMI I'm having to manually change audio input to HDMI to watch something via Apple TV, and half the time no audio will play from the Apple TV. No issue when connected via Optical.

Also a Samsung QLED TV and also the same problem. I worked via HDMI for a couple of days without problems, now there is no sound for a week, although the TV sees the connection. I wrote to support, they asked for the model, they will look for a solution

Just to follow up, when HDMI stops working for me, the TV doesn't even seem to recognise that an amp is connected to it via HDMI - when I go into sound output in my Samsung TV settings, Receiver (HDMI) isn't there as an option anymore, nor can I select HDMI for volume control in Home Cinema settings on the Apple TV.

Once I've streamed music using the Wiim Amp and then attempt to go back to HDMI in Audio Input settings of the Wiim Amp it's almost like the TV or the amp has 'forgotten' they are connected to one another via HDMI.

I've tried a different HDMI cable and the same problem exists. I've found that unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in makes audio work, but obviously it 'forgets' once after streaming music to the amp.

Just to follow up, when HDMI stops working for me, the TV doesn't even seem to recognise that an amp is connected to it via HDMI - when I go into sound output in my Samsung TV settings, Receiver (HDMI) isn't there as an option anymore, nor can I select HDMI for volume control in Home Cinema settings on the Apple TV.

Once I've streamed music using the Wiim Amp and then attempt to go back to HDMI in Audio Input settings of the Wiim Amp it's almost like the TV or the amp has 'forgotten' they are connected to one another via HDMI.

I've tried a different HDMI cable and the same problem exists. I've found that unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in makes audio work, but obviously it 'forgets' once after streaming music to the amp.
I tried three cables, but the problem remained. There is no sound, although the TV sees the connection. And sometimes there is no HDMI in the sound settings, but in the sources there is an amplifier connected

Isn't this (mostly) the same issue as seen in some other thread(s)?
I believe wiim are working on it, and in the meantime the advice is to enable both optical and line in auto sensing.

Try to reboot the amp. If it fail, send message via wiim app.

Isn't this (mostly) the same issue as seen in some other thread(s)?
I believe wiim are working on it, and in the meantime the advice is to enable both optical and line in auto sensing.

As above. it's been discussed before.

Back