Power On/Off Devices without 12V Trigger

WiiMer SJ

Major Contributor
My Wiim Pro is sourcing Edifier active speakers that are not equipped with 12V Trigger functionality. So I went looking for a solution, found and purchased this:

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-Power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or WiFi, Relay Shield https://a.co/d/0FSd1p3

I also purchased these:

Harmony IR Adapters, Ancable 2-Pack 2.5mm Mono Plug to 3.5mm Mono Jack Connector for Logitech Harmony Hub and IR Blaster, IR Emitter Extenders, IR Repeaters, IR Receivers https://a.co/d/4c81sGu

Ancable 2-Pack 3.5mm 1/8" Monaural Mini Mono Plug to Bare Wire 6-Feet - 12V DC Trigger ON/Off Cable https://a.co/d/3vADchk

All of the above should arrive tomorrow. I will update this thread when and if it all comes together. 🤞

For those wanting to add Trigger power on/off functionality to devices not so equipped this is a viable option.
Installation is easy. The device works as advertised and the relay has an audible and satisfying click.
I have the Pro's Standby Mode set at 30 seconds and the new feature set made available in the recent update are as promised.
Very pleased.

Attachments

• KIMG1728~2.JPG
    KIMG1728~2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Glad I found your posting here - maybe you can help?

I want to take advantage of the Wiim’s sleep and wake-up timer functions. Unfortunately my receivers don’t have trigger in.

I looked at this exact same IoT device to make this work.

The trigger input on the relay side has clamps (it’s not 3.5 mm).
I need to understand how the trigger out is wired on the Wiim. I’m assuming it’s standard, as in the tip/center is the signal (+) and the sleeve is 0 (-)? If that’s the case I may just get a 3.5 mm to RCA cable and strip off the two RCA ends - that way I know which is minus and which is plus.
But I’m not sure if that’s correct. And I don’t have a volt meter handy to measure it.

Since you made this work for yourself, would you mind letting me know if my assumptions above are correct? Can you share a bit more how you wired it?

Appreciate it! Thank you!

Oh wait - you list the wires you used, with links. Duh!
That’s what happens - I got too excited to properly read your whole post.
In my case I probably only need one of the two-pack 3.5 mm to bare wires, and since red is plus, and white is minus...

Thanks again for sharing this here!

Oh wait - you list the wires you used, with links. Duh!
That’s what happens - I got too excited to properly read your whole post.
In my case I probably only need one of the two-pack 3.5 mm to bare wires, and since red is plus, and white is minus...

Thanks again for sharing this here!
Your assumptions about the output polarity are correct but you don't need to worry about it. The clamp connector once plugged in is wired to the internal relay coil which is not polarity sensitive.

Also please note that the WiiM has a 2.5mm trigger socket, so you'll need an adapter like the one I specified.

Be careful and good hunting. Don't forget to post the results.

While I’m waiting for all the parts to be shipped, I have a follow-up question.

After I have this all set up, how do I switch between Wiim-timed, Wiim-controlled and regular use of the receiver(s) - like during the day when I just want to play a good old record over the same receiver, which is now plugged into the relay and depends on the Wiim to trigger it for it to power on?

Is there an always-on or a bypass switch on the relay, without the need to plug the devices into the always-on slot or another power strip every time you want to use a non-Wiim source?

Is there an always-on or a bypass switch on the relay, without the need to plug the devices into the always-on slot or another power strip every time you want to use a non-Wiim source?
This is not a scenario I needed to consider as my setup only includes the WiiM Pro and the Edifier speakers.
There are no means on the IOT Relay to "bypass" the trigger function it provides. The simplest and safest option is "plug and play" as you suggested. Otherwise you would need to build and wire a 120vac circuit to accomplish the switching. It could be done, but I don't recommend it, and I suspect your insurance underwriter would not approve.

Last edited:
In the WiiM app, under "Add Alarm" there is an option to adjust the duration or select "No Limit". "Standby Mode" also has an option for "Never". One of these, or some combination of them may get you the result you are looking for.

Last edited:
That will hopefully work. Thank you WiiMer.
If not, worst case, I just leave the Wiim in play/streaming mode in the background after I switched the receiver to another source (CD, TT, radio…).
Since I have you: are you happy with your Edifiers?

Since I have you: are you happy with your Edifiers?
Overall yes. When I bought them they were a TV soundbar replacement. Then stored for awhile. Now they serve in a whole home/secondary listening role. Not the best option available, but for the price no complaints. As I've suggested before, do some research before you buy.

Back