WiiM Pro + Fosi ZA3 Setup using 12v Trigger Issue and Workaround

guysiah

Hello all, first thread here on the forum. Already submitted a support ticket to WiiM, but figured to make this post for everyone to discuss. Forgive my formatting.

I have 2 WiiM Pro's, 2 Fosi ZA3 amplifiers, and 4 different 2.5mm to 3.5mm cables (2 TS cables, and 2 TRS cables^). I have noticed strange behavior when utilizing the 12v trigger feature. The 2.5mm end of the cable is *fully* inserted to the WiiM Pro 12v Trigger Output. The 3.5mm end of the cable is also *fully* inserted to the Fosi ZA3 12v Trigger Input. When in this configuration, the trigger on/off simply does not work.

BUT, what I have discovered is that the intended function works perfectly ONLY when the 3.5mm end is only *PARTIALLY* inserted into the 12v trigger input of the Fosi ZA3 amp^^(picture below). I do not have a device to measure the exact behavior of these devices. But, I tested this with both of my WiiM Pro devices and Fosi ZA3 amps, and the different cables. It SEEMS to me that the WiiM Pro sends the voltage from the TIP of the cable, but the Fosi ZA3 receives the voltage from the SLEEVE. Slightly useless info: The behavior is identical whether using a TRS cable or a TS cable..

What's next? I will try out this polarity reversing cable, seemingly made for photographers to trigger a flash: PocketWizard Polarity Reversing Cable Adapter MMRP ($10 each).

Has anyone else experienced this? I looked through a few forum discussions but did not see any suggestion for a *partially* inserted cable.

(pro tip: the WiiM Voice Remote on/off button will immediately activate the WiiM trigger sequence. I saw a few people complaining about waiting the 2-2.5 minutes for the WiiM to power off their amp connected to the trigger.)
^ Cables used: TS: Ancable 2-Pack 6-Feet Mono Cable 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug - 12V Trigger Cable for Parasound Amp and Logitech Harmony Hub
TRS: 1 Audio Technica HP-LC, 1 Audio Technica HP-SC
^^ (Image attached shows partially inserted 3.5mm end as described when operating properly.)
IMG_2325.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers for that, strange the others above seemed to be having a problem .... have just seen your comment in ASR as well.
Could it be that they are using stereo cables? The fact they have to push the cables just half way in to get it to work suggests they might be.

Last edited:
So this would work?

I've literally ordered that exact cable 10 minutes before you posted direct from the seller as Amazon was saying delivery would be next Tuesday (unless I wanted to pay for express) and hoping they'll get it to me quicker ... I can let you know in a couple of days.

This goes against what's suggested by the pictures sent from Fosi attached in post #11 which infers it needs to be stereo not mono and also against the link to an adapter which mveloman says works in post #14 .... not doubting Petevid for one second (or I wouldn't have ordered the cable I have) but someone's got some wires crossed somewhere.

I've literally ordered that exact cable 10 minutes before you posted direct from the seller as Amazon was saying delivery would be next Tuesday (unless I wanted to pay for express) and hoping they'll get it to me quicker ... I can let you know in a couple of days.

This goes against what's suggested by the pictures sent from Fosi attached in post #11 which infers it needs to be stereo not mono and also against the link to an adapter which mveloman says works in post #14 .... not doubting Petevid for one second (or I wouldn't have ordered the cable I have) but someone's got some wires crossed somewhere.
Haha, great. Please let us know how it works.

Next thing to solve is hove to get it to work with two ZA3 in mono configuration. I guess you could use a splitter 🤔 However if the cable works then we will know what contacts needed.

This is the cable from Amazon that worked for me

Why would a trigger cable require a stereo connection? It connects just a ground and a trigger voltage.

The problem with a stereo cable is that it has a tip and two ring connections which don't align with the ground and signal connection in the 'mono' trigger socket hence the need to plug the stereo connector only half way in to get the connection right. (See the original post on this thread)

Last edited:

Just to follow up. Did it work?

Both types of 3.5 connectors (mono TS and stereo TRS) work great in the ZA3. The problem is not with them. The trigger on Wiim pro only works if the RCA or Coaxial outputs are connected. If an optical output is used, the trigger will not work with any type of cable. I soldered both 3.5 TS and 3.5 TRS stereo to the 2.5 connector, both options work great if the output to the Wiim is set to coaxial.

If you need a Wiim to ZA3 trigger, I don't see the point in buying adapters. Just buy two cables, one 2.5 and the other 3.5, cut them and simply connect wires of the same color. This will be especially useful if you use the ZA3 in mono mode.

Attachments

• photo_2024-03-18_00-00-03.jpg
    photo_2024-03-18_00-00-03.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 5
If you need a Wiim to ZA3 trigger, I don't see the point in buying adapters. Just buy two cables, one 2.5 and the other 3.5, cut them and simply connect wires of the same color. This will be especially useful if you use the ZA3 in mono mode.

Why didn't I think of this .... I've spent years cutting and soldering various wires and having to invent various work rounds for RC things that fly but this didn't enter my mind for a second but is so simple.
You also only need 1 x 3.5mm cable as when you cut it in half you now have a lead for each amp :D(y)

Both types of 3.5 connectors (mono TS and stereo TRS) work great in the ZA3. The problem is not with them. The trigger on Wiim pro only works if the RCA or Coaxial outputs are connected. If an optical output is used, the trigger will not work with any type of cable. I soldered both 3.5 TS and 3.5 TRS stereo to the 2.5 connector, both options work great if the output to the Wiim is set to coaxial.

But you cannot use the optical output of the Pro connected to the ZA3 as the ZA3 does not have an optical input. You will need an external DAC connected between the two. So the Wiim Pro will trigger the powering up and down of the ZA3 but not the DAC.

Also you don’t need to cut cables or buy adapters you can buy off the shelf 3.5mm to 2.5mm mono trigger cables very cheaply as listed in previous posts in this thread.

That was new information. So if you are using optical out to a DAC the trigger want work between Wiim and ZA3?

Back