WiiM Pro + Fosi ZA3 Setup using 12v Trigger Issue and Workaround

guysiah

Hello all, first thread here on the forum. Already submitted a support ticket to WiiM, but figured to make this post for everyone to discuss. Forgive my formatting.

I have 2 WiiM Pro's, 2 Fosi ZA3 amplifiers, and 4 different 2.5mm to 3.5mm cables (2 TS cables, and 2 TRS cables^). I have noticed strange behavior when utilizing the 12v trigger feature. The 2.5mm end of the cable is *fully* inserted to the WiiM Pro 12v Trigger Output. The 3.5mm end of the cable is also *fully* inserted to the Fosi ZA3 12v Trigger Input. When in this configuration, the trigger on/off simply does not work.

BUT, what I have discovered is that the intended function works perfectly ONLY when the 3.5mm end is only *PARTIALLY* inserted into the 12v trigger input of the Fosi ZA3 amp^^(picture below). I do not have a device to measure the exact behavior of these devices. But, I tested this with both of my WiiM Pro devices and Fosi ZA3 amps, and the different cables. It SEEMS to me that the WiiM Pro sends the voltage from the TIP of the cable, but the Fosi ZA3 receives the voltage from the SLEEVE. Slightly useless info: The behavior is identical whether using a TRS cable or a TS cable..

What's next? I will try out this polarity reversing cable, seemingly made for photographers to trigger a flash: PocketWizard Polarity Reversing Cable Adapter MMRP ($10 each).

Has anyone else experienced this? I looked through a few forum discussions but did not see any suggestion for a *partially* inserted cable.

(pro tip: the WiiM Voice Remote on/off button will immediately activate the WiiM trigger sequence. I saw a few people complaining about waiting the 2-2.5 minutes for the WiiM to power off their amp connected to the trigger.)
^ Cables used: TS: Ancable 2-Pack 6-Feet Mono Cable 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug - 12V Trigger Cable for Parasound Amp and Logitech Harmony Hub
TRS: 1 Audio Technica HP-LC, 1 Audio Technica HP-SC
^^ (Image attached shows partially inserted 3.5mm end as described when operating properly.)
IMG_2325.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all, first thread here on the forum. Already submitted a support ticket to WiiM, but figured to make this post for everyone to discuss. Forgive my formatting.

I have 2 WiiM Pro's, 2 Fosi ZA3 amplifiers, and 4 different 2.5mm to 3.5mm cables (2 TS cables, and 2 TRS cables^). I have noticed strange behavior when utilizing the 12v trigger feature. The 2.5mm end of the cable is *fully* inserted to the WiiM Pro 12v Trigger Output. The 3.5mm end of the cable is also *fully* inserted to the Fosi ZA3 12v Trigger Input. When in this configuration, the trigger on/off simply does not work.

BUT, what I have discovered is that the intended function works perfectly ONLY when the 3.5mm end is only *PARTIALLY* inserted into the 12v trigger input of the Fosi ZA3 amp^^(picture below). I do not have a device to measure the exact behavior of these devices. But, I tested this with both of my WiiM Pro devices and Fosi ZA3 amps, and the different cables. It SEEMS to me that the WiiM Pro sends the voltage from the TIP of the cable, but the Fosi ZA3 receives the voltage from the SLEEVE. Slightly useless info: The behavior is identical whether using a TRS cable or a TS cable..

What's next? I will try out this polarity reversing cable, seemingly made for photographers to trigger a flash: PocketWizard Polarity Reversing Cable Adapter MMRP ($10 each).

Has anyone else experienced this? I looked through a few forum discussions but did not see any suggestion for a *partially* inserted cable.

(pro tip: the WiiM Voice Remote on/off button will immediately activate the WiiM trigger sequence. I saw a few people complaining about waiting the 2-2.5 minutes for the WiiM to power off their amp connected to the trigger.)
^ Cables used: TS: Ancable 2-Pack 6-Feet Mono Cable 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug - 12V Trigger Cable for Parasound Amp and Logitech Harmony Hub
TRS: 1 Audio Technica HP-LC, 1 Audio Technica HP-SC
^^ (Image attached shows partially inserted 3.5mm end as described when operating properly.)
View attachment 4280
Thanks for this post. I have a Wiim Pro Plus into a Fosi ZA3 and was having the same problem with the 12v trigger not working (using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm Mono cable) - it has really been bugging me! I can confirm that your workaround has worked perfectly first time for me - played a track through the app and the ZA3 clicked on straight away, pressed the power switch on the Wiim remote to turn off and the ZA3 clicked off perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to post this - hopefully it will help more people than just me. Did you get anything back from your support ticket? it would be interesting to hear what Wiim's official take on this is.

Thanks for this post. I have a Wiim Pro Plus into a Fosi ZA3 and was having the same problem with the 12v trigger not working (using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm Mono cable) - it has really been bugging me! I can confirm that your workaround has worked perfectly first time for me - played a track through the app and the ZA3 clicked on straight away, pressed the power switch on the Wiim remote to turn off and the ZA3 clicked off perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to post this - hopefully it will help more people than just me. Did you get anything back from your support ticket? it would be interesting to hear what Wiim's official take on this is.
Hey, first off I'm glad to hear that it's not just me! Sucks that it's happening at all though. The uncertainty of that loose plug staying put or coming out is not nice to think about. 1) on my support ticket status: still being processed. 2) on finding a solution: stumped. I received the PocketWizard Polarity Reversing cable but it did not change the behavior at all. So save your money for now. and unfortunately I do not have any other Trigger-able amps/receivers, nor any other Trigger-capable source audio components. If you or anyone does, please share your findings!

The next variable to test is.. the amp. *gasp*. Yeah, the WiiM trigger might not be the issue here. Sooo, I am considering picking up an OSD XMP100 as it is another affordable amplifier with a trigger input. It actually has a pretty decent set of features for the price (A/B-channel, auto-switching, and more), although it isn't as compact as the Fosi ZA3. If it works, then I'll likely be parting with the ZA3. Will post an update if/when I pick up the XMP100, and if/when I get a conclusive response to my support ticket.

Hey, first off I'm glad to hear that it's not just me! Sucks that it's happening at all though. The uncertainty of that loose plug staying put or coming out is not nice to think about. 1) on my support ticket status: still being processed. 2) on finding a solution: stumped. I received the PocketWizard Polarity Reversing cable but it did not change the behavior at all. So save your money for now. and unfortunately I do not have any other Trigger-able amps/receivers, nor any other Trigger-capable source audio components. If you or anyone does, please share your findings!

The next variable to test is.. the amp. *gasp*. Yeah, the WiiM trigger might not be the issue here. Sooo, I am considering picking up an OSD XMP100 as it is another affordable amplifier with a trigger input. It actually has a pretty decent set of features for the price (A/B-channel, auto-switching, and more), although it isn't as compact as the Fosi ZA3. If it works, then I'll likely be parting with the ZA3. Will post an update if/when I pick up the XMP100, and if/when I get a conclusive response to my support ticket.
I have the same issue with 12 v trigger but using Marantz cinema 70 pre-amp. So it seems that problem is on the ZA3 side, not Wiim or other pre-amp.

I have the same issue with 12 v trigger but using Marantz cinema 70 pre-amp. So it seems that problem is on the ZA3 side, not Wiim or other pre-amp.
Hi there, so if the Wiim is having the same problem (12v Trigger not working) with the Marantz, then surely that suggests that the Wiim is the problem?:confused: Unfortunately I don't have another Amp other than the ZA3 with a 12v Trigger to test with my Wiim Pro Plus(n)

Hi there, so if the Wiim is having the same problem (12v Trigger not working) with the Marantz, then surely that suggests that the Wiim is the problem?:confused: Unfortunately I don't have another Amp other than the ZA3 with a 12v Trigger to test with my Wiim Pro Plus(n)
Not exactly, I used Marantz receiver as a preamp instead of WiiM to connect to ZA3 with the same effect that trigger only worked when cable halfway inserted into the ZA3. This only proves that ZA3 has similar problem with different source components with 12V trigger, WiiM included.

Not exactly, I used Marantz receiver as a preamp instead of WiiM to connect to ZA3 with the same effect that trigger only worked when cable halfway inserted into the ZA3. This only proves that ZA3 has similar problem with different source components with 12V trigger, WiiM included.
aha - now that makes sense! Thanks for clarifying (y)

Happy New Year to everyone! @guysiah and @stevie.what kind of 3,5 mm jack do you use, is it stereo or mono cable? I've got a reply from Fosi support that the right cable to use is stereo. Unfortunately, couldn't check as I only have mono.
Attaching the picture from them for your reference.

Attachments

• temp4cj.png
    temp4cj.png
    227 KB · Views: 19
@kosa Thanks & Happy New Year! Have tried both. Neither mono or stereo cables work when fully inserted into the 12v trigger input of the ZA3. They BOTH work when partially inserted into the 12v trigger input of the ZA3.

I've just raised a support query with Fosi to see what they say also, but I've not heard back yet.

Happy New Year to everyone! @guysiah and @stevie.what kind of 3,5 mm jack do you use, is it stereo or mono cable? I've got a reply from Fosi support that the right cable to use is stereo. Unfortunately, couldn't check as I only have mono.
Attaching the picture from them for your reference.
Happy New Year! Thanks for contacting Fosi. To be clear, I used both: TRS Stereo cables (for headphones, 1 Audio Technica HP-LC & 1 HP-SC), and the TS Mono cables from Ancable linked above. I could have sworn that I observed identical behavior with both types of cables unfortunately, as @stevie.w reaffirmed.

The problem is that the Fosi Za3 trigger outlet is set up to detect the 12v signal from the right channel of a 3.5mm stereo plug. A mono jack will only supply the voltage to the left channel. The solution is to use a 3.5mm mono to stereo adapter between the trigger cable (mono or stereo) and the Za3 trigger outlet.

Cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HSJNQL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0919C5D93?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
So, as I understand, you need a mono jack of 2,5mm (2 poles) on WIIM side and a stereo jack 3,5mm (3 poles) on FOSI side and cable in between connecting the mono channel with the right and left channel ?

So, as I understand, you need a mono jack of 2,5mm (2 poles) on WIIM side and a stereo jack 3,5mm (3 poles) on FOSI side and cable in between connecting the mono channel with the right and left channel ?
Yes. The mono signal from the WIIM needs to get to the middle pole of the stereo jack on the Fosi side.

Just to say I'm happily using this trigger cable from Amazon with no problems between the my Wiim Pro and ZA3

Ancable 2-Pack 6-Feet Mono Cable 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug - 12V Trigger Cable for Parasound Amp and Logitech Harmony Hub

Sorry ... just to clarify .... you're saying yours works with the cable fully inserted and without the adapter as suggested by @mveloman above?

Also does anyone know, if you set these up as a monoblock pair how the trigger works then as there's only one trigger on the Wiim so can't put on into each ZA3.

Back