Trigger out to Yamaha RX-V800 receiver

rsmiele

I am trying to configure the WiiM trigger out to work with my older Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Here's how I have it configured:
  • Streaming Spotify via wifi to WiiM Pro+
  • WiiM RCA line-out is connected to Yamaha RX-V800 RCA line-in connections.
  • WiiM trigger out (2.5mm) is connected to Yamaha RX-V800 "remote control" jack "in" (3.5mm); using a mono trigger cable.
Is this a valid use case for using the WiiM trigger?
The objective is to have the WiiM wake up the Yamaha receiver when I start streaming Spotify service via wifi to WiiM.

Has anyone successfully connected a WiiM trigger to an older Yamaha receiver?
Older Yamaha receivers have separate "remote control in" and "remote control out" 3.5mm jacks. They have very little documentation on the functionality. It looks like the original intention of the jacks was to control add-on IR transmitters and receivers, but from everything I've read, they operate identically to the current multi-vendor trigger functionality. ie: is a 12v pulse or level.

Thanks

I am trying to configure the WiiM trigger out to work with my older Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Here's how I have it configured:
  • Streaming Spotify via wifi to WiiM Pro+
  • WiiM RCA line-out is connected to Yamaha RX-V800 RCA line-in connections.
  • WiiM trigger out (2.5mm) is connected to Yamaha RX-V800 "remote control" jack "in" (3.5mm); using a mono trigger cable.
Is this a valid use case for using the WiiM trigger?
The objective is to have the WiiM wake up the Yamaha receiver when I start streaming Spotify service via wifi to WiiM.

Has anyone successfully connected a WiiM trigger to an older Yamaha receiver?
Older Yamaha receivers have separate "remote control in" and "remote control out" 3.5mm jacks. They have very little documentation on the functionality. It looks like the original intention of the jacks was to control add-on IR transmitters and receivers, but from everything I've read, they operate identically to the current multi-vendor trigger functionality. ie: is a 12v pulse or level.

Thanks
Hi.

Have you contacted Yamaha?
It might be better to ask Yamaha this question than here.

Only, I have a Yamaha AVR so I can test it, but I don't want to break the amplifier, so I'm reluctant. 😅

I have a very similar setup. Wiim Pro Plus connected to an old Denon receiver (line out/in). The receiver has a dedicated trigger which works fine with my cd-player. However, I cannot get the trigger to work with my Wiim Pro Plus when streaming Spotify. When I turn on my Wiim and start streaming, nothing happens with the receiver. I use a 3.5-2.5 jack converter. Wonder if the issue has something to do with that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

In other news; The sound on the Wiim Pro Plus…WAUW! 🙇‍♂️

NO, that is not correct. The REVEIVER is the trigger for everything else.
My receiver can trigger other devices, it however is turned on by ONLY a remote control or the power button.
When you use the WiiM it is essentially the receiver.

Not sure about older Yamaha gear but I connected my A-S1200 amp to the Pro+ via Main Direct and the trigger works perfectly. I initially tried via 'line in' and 'Tuner' and this turned the amp on from standby ok, but it defaulted to Main Direct source so I just connected the WiiM to that. Works using a stereo cable (couldn't get a mono) and volume is controlled by the remote or the phone (not the amp). I use Tidal, Spotify and Iheart Radio apps and starting 'play' then select source from the app turns on WiiM and amp from standby. Was using an old Chromecast Audio puk before this (which was well ahead of its time) but the Wiim is even simpler to use and much better SQ. It just works.

Last edited:
Back