Wiim Pro output from Line In to both Line Out and AirPlay Receiver

marcreif

I have a recently-purchased Wiim Pro connected to an older Pioneer receiver and I have a Sonos Era 100 connected via wifi in a different room. I can get audio simultaneously from an app on phone to both the speakers connected to the Pioneer receiver and to the Sonos speaker. I can play from CD or vinyl to EITHER speakers attached to Pioneer receiver OR to Sonos Era 100, but not to both simultaneously. Wiim App only lets me select either Line Out or AirPlay receiver, not both at the same time. Is it possible to output from Line In to Line Out and AirPlay receiver at the same time? If so, what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Can you define MRM for me, and what it is about it that may be complicated? Thank you!
Sorry,
MRM = Multi-Room Music.

If you link two WiiM devices to MRM in the WiiM home app, the two WIIMs will be integrated on a single card, as shown in this image.

1000002245.jpg

On the app, you can control the volume of all rooms.

However, with the plan B I proposed, you can't control the volume of room A with the WiiM app when playing CDs and TTs in MRM. However, you said you wanted to control the volume on the receiver, so this might not be a problem.

Maybe I understood, but @Raphaz says that they want to connect the TT to the receiver.

Plan A, which I proposed, is simple.

However, there was his wish, and I proposed Plan B.🙂
I think the problem is that there may not be a one-size-fits-all solution …

I guess I was pretty naive.
What was meant to be less footprint and simplified, now involves 4 Wiim’s and at least the equal amount of wiring to what I currently have. And the price point is getting close to a good, more current receiver with WiFi transmitter and grouping capabilities for rooms B and C.
Sigh!

Last edited:
Somehow I did expect this to be easier.
But I guess my dream system doesn’t match with what the majority of audio enthusiasts currently are looking for - therefore there is no easy solution.

As said above, maybe no one-fits-all version.

Last edited:
I guess I was pretty naive.
What was meant to be less footprint and simplified, now involves 4 Wiim’s and at least the equal amount of wiring to what I currently have. And the price point is getting close to a good, more current receiver with WiFi transmitter and grouping capabilities for rooms B and C.
Sigh!

Do you really need multi-room playback of TT and CD?

In my personal opinion, streaming is more convenient for MRM. You can control your music with your phone wherever you are.

If you choose the simple "Plan A", you can listen to the TT in Room A while others listen to the stream in Room B. 😉

Edit: What I'm trying to say is change the TT in Plan A to the connection to the receiver.

Last edited:
Do you really need multi-room playback of TT and CD?

In my personal opinion, streaming is more convenient for MRM. You can control your music with your phone wherever you are.

If you choose the simple "Plan A", you can listen to the TT in Room A while others listen to the stream in Room B. 😉

Edit: What I'm trying to say is change the TT in Plan A to the connection to the receiver.
Not to confuse things more :) but I’m looking to do same thing w my vintage equipment. How are you getting the TT (no internal preamp) that is connected to integrated amp/receiver to play out to Wii? Isn’t the point to listen to tt in room B when playing vinyl in room A using regular analog setup?

Not to confuse things more :) but I’m looking to do same thing w my vintage equipment. How are you getting the TT (no internal preamp) that is connected to integrated amp/receiver to play out to Wii? Isn’t the point to listen to tt in room B when playing vinyl in room A using regular analog setup?

Please refer to this post. 🙂

You need to put a phono amp between the TT and the WiiM.

Please refer to this post. 🙂

You need to put a phono amp between the TT and the WiiM.
My tt only has one phono out. Are you suggesting I run my tt to the wii and then the receiver?

I would never want my tt to go through the Wii before the receiver and passive speakers, as it would degrade the signal. I want to be able to listen to my analog system and at the same time stream to another room (digital fine in 2nd room). I believe this is what OP wants to do?

I would never want my tt to go through the Wii before the receiver and passive speakers, as it would degrade the signal. I want to be able to listen to my analog system and at the same time stream to another room (digital fine in 2nd room). I believe this is what OP wants to do?
Then maybe plug the tt into the receiver and the receiver line out into the room A wiim which will then digitise the signal and sent it to room B wiim.
But you might have sync issues that way.
Doesn't matter that wiim A is playing the tt music too, as the receiver isn't listening to it.

Degrade a TT signal... :ROFLMAO:
(You know I'm just having a laugh, right?)

If you have a pro plus then maybe try what Wiimer suggested, just to see how bad, or not, it is going via the wiim.

Last edited:
Wiim wrote this about the amp, but I'd expect it to relate to the plus too:
"Thanks to our advanced ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter), which boasts an impressive Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) of approximately 110dB, the quality loss during this conversion process is kept to a bare minimum, ensuring that your audio experience remains rich and undiminished."

Personally, I'd advocate practicality and convenience over idealism. Generally it seems to be a pretty close race anyway!

Last edited:
Putting the blasphemy aside, I’d need a third wiim connected to receiver to play my digital music? Would the room b wiim in Wiimers diagram be able to pick up on either room a wiim?

Putting the blasphemy aside, I’d need a third wiim connected to receiver to play my digital music? Would the room b wiim in Wiimers diagram be able to pick up on either room a wiim?
Just two wiims I reckon.
Wiim A would be connected to the receiver both from the wiim line out to receiver input (say aux 1), and receiver line out to wiim input.
If the TT is direct to the receiver then when wiim A's input is line in then it'll "hear" whatever the receiver is playing, such as the TT, which it will digitise and can send to wiim B in the other room, if grouped.
When you want to stream something, say spotify, then wiim A will switch the ethernet/wifi input, and you'd switch the receiver to aux 1 to hear it.
If wiim B is still in the group then that'll play spotify too.

Getting the two wiims to play in sync is trivial; but it's quite likely that if playing the TT directly into the receiver then the music in room A will be reasonably ahead of the music in room B, which will have to go via wiim A and wiim grouping, which will cause a delay.
If you put the TT into wiim A then room A and B can be in sync, but you might find that when you 'Put The Needle On It' (Dannii Minogue anyone?) that there'll be a noticeable delay before you hear anything.

Have fun experimenting!

As a matter of interest, as I have an SX750 how is playing the amp out to the Sonos 100 on its own? I have an Era 300 and also Arc with two play 3s connected as rear speakers
Using the SX750 to drive the Sonos 100 on its own can be a great option, especially if you're looking for a simplified setup or want to enjoy the sound of your amplifier with the Sonos speaker.

Back