Analog Line-In Sound Clipping

VinceVega

I have a Pyle PP999 phono preamp connected to the WiiM Pro Analog Line-In. The sound clips out intermittently for a second or two. WiiM support states the Line-In only supports up to 1Vrms line signal while the Pyle's output is 2V. I did some digging into specs but many products either don't list this value or are also 2V output.

Any recommendations on a phono preamp that would work better with the WiiM Pro?

I'm price/value conscious but don't mind investing more when it makes sense. I bought the PP999 as a budget option to try out before I had the WiiM. Now, I love streaming vinyl to the garage.

Need to stop the "pops" so I can enjoy the rock!

I have a Pyle PP999 phono preamp connected to the WiiM Pro Analog Line-In. The sound clips out intermittently for a second or two. WiiM support states the Line-In only supports up to 1Vrms line signal while the Pyle's output is 2V. I did some digging into specs but many products either don't list this value or are also 2V output.

I'm price/value conscious but don't mind investing more when it makes sense. I bought the PP999 as a budget option to try out before I had the WiiM. Now, I love streaming vinyl to the garage.

Please submit a ticket via the WiiM Home App so we can get the diagnostics log. I hope to resolve this for you as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, please reduce the volume from your phono preamp and see if it helps.

Unfortunately, the technical data they provide for the PP999 us a joke.

No mention of available gain. IInput Sensitivity / Impedance is given as 3 mV / 50K Ohms. The former is a tad on the insensitive side, the latter is a deviation from the 47 kOhms MM standard. Output Level: 2V, Reference Voltage: 1V? 2 V for what input voltage? They wont tell. What's the meaning of their "reference voltage"? There's no way to tell why the input may be clipping, but I'd suspect just bad spikes in output voltage.

As an alternative to the Project Audio lineup, the ART DJ Pre II had a couple of good reviews (and some bad, as always).

I don't have personal experience with this device, but it has three extremely useful features:
  • Switchable input capacitance (100 pF or 220 pF)
  • Switchable low cut filter (in case of subsonic rumble)
  • Adjustable gain (35 dB +/- 10 dB)

The Schiit Mani is almost universally praised as a value pick.

Schiit recently started shipping the Skoll phono preamp, which is functionally a quantum leap over the Mani. Haven't seen anything but pretty gaga reviews. It's a balanced preamp so may or may not fit your current and future use case(s), but there's a good overview of all it can do at that link.

The Schiit Mani is almost universally praised as a value pick.

Schiit recently started shipping the Skoll phono preamp, which is functionally a quantum leap over the Mani. Haven't seen anything but pretty gaga reviews. It's a balanced preamp so may or may not fit your current and future use case(s), but there's a good overview of all it can do at that link.
The Pyle is a $35 device, so I wasn't sure just how much more money @VinceVega is willing to shelv out.

If the Shiit Mani 2 is in budget I would give it the nod in this comparison, even if it was just for flexibility. And if you think about how many (or how few) records the absolute price difference would buy you, it becomes even more of a bargain.

There is btw. a neat little trick to judge the quality of an op-amp design: Simply compare the external supply voltage, the higher, the better. Operational amplifiers almost universally work best at DC voltages close to the specified maximum. Shiit uses an off-board AC power supply and claims to run the Texas Instruments OPA1612 from +/- 16 V Power rails. That's a good thing compared to many competitors.

Back