Fire tablet Won't Run Wiim

CraigT

I just bought 2 Wiim Mini's for my home. I wanted to use my Fire tablet to run it but can't. This is odd because the Wiim works great with Amazon Music but will not work with the Amazon Fire Tablet. I do not like running my stereo system from my phone. Please make the app available on Fire Tablets.

I run the Wiim Home app on a fire tablet and it works fine. However, I have the Google play store installed on my fire tablet and that is where I downloaded the app from.

I think I just downloaded the WiiM Home app apk file and got it running that way. However I appreciate not everyone is comfortable or able to do that.

I tried several ways of installing the Wiim app and could not get it to install. I even called Amazon and they logged into my Fire Tablet and could not get it loaded. I have a Fire 8.

I tried several ways of installing the Wiim app and could not get it to install. I even called Amazon and they logged into my Fire Tablet and could not get it loaded. I have a Fire 8.
It’s not in Amazon’s AppStore so I’m not surprised they couldn’t. As I say, I think I just installed the apk via the Silk browser (there are some permissions to grant there) and it ran ok on my HD 10 and HD 11. Can’t recall if I tried it on my HD8 that I traded in.

You can watch the beginning of this video which explains how to install the Google Play Store on your Fire tablet. Once you do that, you can download the WiiM app. This is from another thread on this forum.

But why?

Kindles are popular tablets. Their OS is android-based (AOSP).

How difficult can it be, without jumping through hoops to sideload it?

But why?

But why what?
I would think that most Kindles aren't color, so that's a disadvantage of looking at album art.
Regarless, I think the WiiM app is now available in the Amazon app store? I can't check 'cause I don't have a kindle or fire, but here is a link

But why?

That's not unusual - there are a lot of apps that aren't in the Amazon Appstore. I don't know if that's because FireOs isn't Android per se but just based on it, so there may be libraries that are incompatible. Or it may be a licensing thing with Google. Then again, WiiM may have to modify their app in some way to get it certified for the Amazon Appstore and they haven't got round to that yet.

But why what?
I would think that most Kindles aren't color, so that's a disadvantage of looking at album art.
Regarless, I think the WiiM app is now available in the Amazon app store? I can't check 'cause I don't have a kindle or fire, but here is a link

While Fire HD tablets were once referred to as Kindle Fire tablets, I think that name is now reserved for Amazon's e-readers. I don't think Kindle tablets were ever just mono. Plus, as I say elsewhere, that looks like an old non-functioning link

But why what?

Erm…all Kindle Fire tablets are colour. I suspect you’re mixing them up with Kindle e-readers?

That app isn’t available on the Amazon UK store.

Erm…all Kindle Fire tablets are colour. I suspect you’re mixing them up with Kindle e-readers?

That app isn’t available on the Amazon UK store.
They've not been called Kindle Fire officially for almost ten years after the fourth generation tablet, probably in an attempt to remove the confusion with the e-readers

That's not unusual - there are a lot of apps that aren't in the Amazon Appstore. I don't know if that's because FireOs isn't Android per se but just based on it, so there may be libraries that are incompatible. Or it may be a licensing thing with Google. Then again, WiiM may have to modify their app in some way to get it certified for the Amazon Appstore and they haven't got round to that yet.
Remember, Amazon and Google don't really like each other.

Back