Maxium 24bit/192khz or 24bit/96khz

Ptk9

Hi guys,
I'm new here on this forum.

2 questions:
1. If I stream 24bit/192khz music files that are stored locally on my mobile to the Wiim Pro, will they also be played in 24bit/192khz?
(I do use the internal DAC from my receiver)
Is this via Chromecast audio protocol?

2. Can the built-in "chromecast audio" handle 24bit/192khz files?
I ask this because the original "chromecast audio" can only stream to maximum 24bit/96khz music files.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,
T.

If it's from WiiM home app then it will play the max quality whatever the file is and your settings in the app.

Afaik all Chromecast streaming regardless of device/manufacturer is limited to 24/96
It is possible to get 192 over chromecast, e.g. Roon.
But for all intents and purposes, expect 96 to be the max.

re. 1) "Is this via Chromecast audio protocol?" That would all depend on what app you use / target renderer type you choose.
For example, using bubbleupnp on android you can cast to a wiim as either upnp or chromecast target.

If I recall when I first got my Pro, I could ChromeCast 24/196 files no problem - it was only when I tried Qobuz that its app capped it at 24/96. I think the presumption that CC is capped at 24/96 comes from the limitation of the ChromeCast audio devices themselves whose hardware limited anything higher. Try it :)

but when you play a 24bit/192khz music file in the Wiim app, the music file is always played in 24bit/192khz?

but when you play a 24bit/192khz music file in the Wiim app, the music file is always played in 24bit/192khz?
Yes.
Unless you use digital outputs and cap them.
The 'now playing' screen shows you the source details.

Sorry, but what do you mean with "Unless you use digital outputs and cap them"?

Sorry, but what do you mean with "Unless you use digital outputs and cap them"?
You can set the max sample rate / bit depth that the wiim will output, per digital output.
e.g. if your external dac supports up to 96 khz you can set this so that a 192 file played to the wiim will be downsampled to 96 so your dac can play it.

Last edited:
Okay,
You can set the max sample rate / bit depth that the wiim will output, per digital output.
e.g. if your external dac supports up to 96 khz you can set this so that a 192 file played to the wiim will be downsampled to 96 so your dac can play it.
Thank you Mr. Ee

Okay,

Thank you Mr. Ee
No worries.
A number of dacs (and amps/receivers etc.) don't support 192 over optical.
Some say they don't, oficially, but actually can - 192 over optical can be troublesome at times!

I really only mentioned all of this 'cos you wrote 'I do use the internal DAC from my receiver', but didn't specify optical or coax.
Wasn't sure if you were asking (in a roundabout way!) 'cos you were having issues at 192!

No worries.
A number of dacs (and amps/receivers etc.) don't support 192 over optical.
Some say they don't, oficially, but actually can - 192 over optical can be troublesome at times!

I really only mentioned all of this 'cos you wrote 'I do use the internal DAC from my receiver', but didn't specify optical or coax.
Wasn't sure if you were asking (in a roundabout way!) 'cos you were having issues at 192!
I use a coax cable, so no problems with 24bit/192khz music files?

I use a coax cable, so no problems with 24bit/192khz music files?
Should be absolutely fine.
Only time I ever had issues with my coax (occassional dropouts) was when it wasn't plugged in fully.

Enjoy!

See these for refs of ChromeCast hitting 24/192

Thread 'WiiM Pro just arrived'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-pro-just-arrived.75/

Thread 'Qobuz and Chromecast'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/qobuz-and-chromecast.119/

A different Qobuz article which claims some devices do support it up to 24/192 even though their app caps it at 24/192

Later on if I get a chance I’ll post some screenshots of Chromecasting a local 24/192 track to my WiiM pro/Plus

Of course, ymmv ;)

Here is a screenshot of a local 24/192 file being ChromeCasted (not upnp) to My Pro Plus using BubbleUPNP on my android phone. My amp/DAC showed it was indeed receiving 24/192.

Screenshot_20240402-083820_Original.jpg

Last edited:
Back