Doubts about WiiM Amp

My case is slightly different and it is with the WiiM Pro Plus but the behavior is similar. And yes if I use the play button on the WiiM Remote to power on the WiiM Pro Plus instead of the on/off button the music plays.

Details of my situation are here:

I experience the very same case even if the WiiM Amp is already on when I select it as audio destination

Dear all,
this is my very first thread so let me say hi to everybody and congrats to the WiiM team who are making quite a good job with their devices.
I purchased a WiiM Amp a few days ago and there is a mix of doubts and questions I'd like to share.

1. Connecting this little amp to a pair of Dynaudio Compound 2 is sort of disappointing. The WiiM Amp is almost unable to drive them, the maximum volume is definitely low and the overall musical scene is a bit flat. I understand that these loudspeakers are quite difficult to manage but I was expecting a little more.
  2. Function-wise the WiiM Amp is very nice and definitely versatile. Minor issue is the lack of a coaxial digital input
  3. There is a little trouble with Airplay. Each time I try to forward the sound from my Mac mini M1 to the WiiM Amp I select the Amp from the sound output menu but no sound can be heard. If I go back to the internal speakers and then again to the WiiM Amp it works fine.
  4. When using an external streamer connected via Optical-In port, the Status LED color is sort of Orange. I can't find this color in the manual, what does it mean?
  5. In the "Audio Input" menu of the WiiM app I see "Line-in Input Resolution" setting, what is it for? Is Line-In input sampled?

Thank you in advance for any support any of you will provide
Best regards
Gaetano
I use Wiim with a pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.4 , previously I had Polk Audio ES55, and this amp drive them pretty loud( 75% volume is my max, and it's very loud) 89db/sensitivity both, 8ohm.

I use Wiim with a pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.4 , previously I had Polk Audio ES55, and this amp drive them pretty loud( 75% volume is my max, and it's very loud) 89db/sensitivity both, 8ohm.
I think that starting from 88-89 db is a good value to be driven properly by this amp, my speakers are below that value

My case is slightly different and it is with the WiiM Pro Plus but the behavior is similar. And yes if I use the play button on the WiiM Remote to power on the WiiM Pro Plus instead of the on/off button the music plays.

Details of my situation are here:

Hi, just an update on this point. Since the last available update (5.0.606744) this issue is not happening anymore, I will keep on checking

I'm experiencing the same issue; I can't mirror sound from YouTube or Facetime/Teams calls. It's quite frustrating, especially since I purchased the device specifically for that purpose.

Firmware v. 4.8.606452 here (edit update)

Hi, just an update on this point. Since the last available update (5.0.606744) this issue is not happening anymore, I will keep on checking
Unfortunately I must correct myself, it is still happening

I'm experiencing the same issue; I can't mirror sound from YouTube or Facetime/Teams calls. It's quite frustrating, especially since I purchased the device specifically for that purpose.

Firmware v. 4.8.606452 here (edit update)
Your issue is exactly the same as what? Optical in stops working?

4.8.606452 is not the latest WiiM Amp firmware. What is your device?

I think that starting from 88-89 db is a good value to be driven properly by this amp, my speakers are below that value
Your speakers are exactly 89db , I think your unit has problems , it should drive them with no problem. That flat scene ...I don't know...if you compare Wiim with an higher class amp ...this should be the difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-224600.png
    Screenshot_20240216-224600.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 10
Your speakers are exactly 89db , I think your unit has problems , it should drive them with no problem. That flat scene ...I don't know...if you compare Wiim with an higher class amp ...this should be the difference.
Hi,
I know about the nominal efficiency, it was 89 dB but the pair I have were not used for several years and stored not properly. After more than 40 years of this life I wouldn't be surprised to be a bit far from that efficiency. My comparison amplifier was a Mission Cyrus 2, a good guy from the same era.

Dynaudio speakers of that era have been known for being very precise and neutral (as their followers put it) or boring and lifeless (as those who didn't like that sound called it). Age and neglect probably didn't help, indeed.

The Cyrus 2 OTOH was known for being extremely lively and playful. Maybe really just a perfect match for the Compound 2?

Dynaudio speakers of that era have been known for being very precise and neutral (as their followers put it) or boring and lifeless (as those who didn't like that sound called it). Age and neglect probably didn't help, indeed.

The Cyrus 2 OTOH was known for being extremely lively and playful. Maybe really just a perfect match for the Compound 2?
Before xmas I've had the opportunity to listen to a wide range of Dynaudios. Belong to the camp precise and neutral ;-) The modern Contours and Confidence are damned good speakers. As soon as it was to decide I was again weak and bound to my traditional BBC monitors. Narrow decision. Worked as a taxi driver beside my studies to get my first Contours 1.3.

Acoustic characteristics surely play an important role, as well as age and care. Probably also the sensitivity of the analog line input enters the game because Mission Cyrus 2 has 0.650V and, unofficially, WiiM Amp something around 2V

Back