Sound level on Line input extremely low

VladaJ

Hello,

I am using line out from my TV (a 2006 Sony LCD) to connect it to Line In on my WiiM Amp, using 3,5mm to Cinch cable. Sound level I'm getting from the Line In is really low, no matter at what level the Amp is set. Even at 100% power, sound is barely audible from the speakers when listening to the Line In. When I'm listening to Tidal, sound levels are normal at any amp setting.

Before the WiiM Amp, I used a Denon DRA-F102 mini-receiver with the same cable from the TV and didn't experience this issue, sound level was normal.

Does anyone else experience the same issue? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Vlada

Hello,

I am using line out from my TV (a 2006 Sony LCD) to connect it to Line In on my WiiM Amp, using 3,5mm to Cinch cable. Sound level I'm getting from the Line In is really low, no matter at what level the Amp is set. Even at 100% power, sound is barely audible from the speakers when listening to the Line In. When I'm listening to Tidal, sound levels are normal at any amp setting.

Before the WiiM Amp, I used a Denon DRA-F102 mini-receiver with the same cable from the TV and didn't experience this issue, sound level was normal.

Thanks
Vlada
Sounds like (or doesn't sound like!) the gain on the wiim amp is lower than that on the Denon.
Can you use hdmi or optical out of the tv into the wiim?
If not you will probably need a line level booster audio preamp - I need one between my Marantz AVR and my integrated amp when I want to send tv audio to the main speakers.
Very simply, analog in, boosted analog out.
Sound quality? Well, it's tv audio...
tbh, even for dvds, netflix etc. it still sounds perfectly acceptable.

Sounds like (or doesn't sound like!) the gain on the wiim amp is lower than that on the Denon.
Can you use hdmi or optical out of the tv into the wiim?
If not you will probably need a line level booster audio preamp - I need one between my Marantz AVR and my integrated amp when I want to send tv audio to the main speakers.
Very simply, analog in, boosted analog out.
Sound quality? Well, it's tv audio...
tbh, even for dvds, netflix etc. it still sounds perfectly acceptable.
Thank you.
Unfortunately, line out is the only option I've got with my old tv set.
This line level booster preamp you suggested is a good idea. Can you recommend any specific model?

Thank you.
Unfortunately, line out is the only option I've got with my old tv set.
This line level booster preamp you suggested is a good idea. Can you recommend any specific model?
I bought one of these off Amazon.
It was cheap, and it was just to try it out. Turned out to be acceptable enough for me, but I'm sure you could spend much more if you wanted to!

If you don't like clicking links, search for douk audio line level booster, or similar.

Hello,

Thanks
Vlada
Did you turn the TV volume way up?

Yes I did. Volume on TV is at 100/100, but still unsatisfactory sound level from WiiM Amp (under 50 dB), everything is whisper-quiet.

The line input on the WiiM is known to be very insensitive. It seems very much designed for "modern" line level devices, with put out voltages in excess of 2 V (full signal). But I wouldn't have it expected to be whisper silent when everything worked fine with your Denon.

I suppose you haven't changed any settings on the TV when swapping out the amplifiers?

If you didn't, maybe you should now. Many TVs do have an option to switch the 3,5 mm output between headphones out and line-out. If the volume setting of the TV has an influence on loudness right now (and everything below 100% is even lower in level) then your TV might be set to headphones out mode. Take a look at your TV's audio settings if there is an option to switch to line-out mode instead.

Even if this setting is available there is no guarantee that it will improve on the situation, but there is a certain chance and changing that setting is for free. :)

My WiiM Amp Line In signal is a little lower (but ok) compared to ethernet/WiFi sources. I blame the phono pre-amp Line Out connected to the Amp Line In here.

Can you compare the TV line level to other audio sources (phone headphone jack maybe)? If it is comparable low as the TV, it might be a defective WiiM Amp… Amp Line In Level might be lower compared to other sources - but certainly not whisper silent.

The line input on the WiiM is known to be very insensitive. It seems very much designed for "modern" line level devices, with put out voltages in excess of 2 V (full signal). But I wouldn't have it expected to be whisper silent when everything worked fine with your Denon.

I suppose you haven't changed any settings on the TV when swapping out the amplifiers?

If you didn't, maybe you should now. Many TVs do have an option to switch the 3,5 mm output between headphones out and line-out. If the volume setting of the TV has an influence on loudness right now (and everything below 100% is even lower in level) then your TV might be set to headphones out mode. Take a look at your TV's audio settings if there is an option to switch to line-out mode instead.

Even if this setting is available there is no guarantee that it will improve on the situation, but there is a certain chance and changing that setting is for free. :)
Thanks for your suggestion!
As I wrote, my TV is very old (18 years old in fact). I didn't change any settings on it from the time I used the old Denon. I will try to find any sound output settings on the TV and will try to adjust them according to the new situation.
If that doesn't solve the situation, I will try to find a line preamp like @Mr Ee suggested above.

Just ensure it's an active / booster preamp, as passive ones can only reduce the volume!

Good luck.

Thanks for your suggestion!
As I wrote, my TV is very old (18 years old in fact). I didn't change any settings on it from the time I used the old Denon. I will try to find any sound output settings on the TV and will try to adjust them according to the new situation.
If that doesn't solve the situation, I will try to find a line preamp like @Mr Ee suggested above.
My TV is 11 years old (and it's a cheap one) and does have this setting. I can't remember if there really was a difference in max. level, but as I said, it costs you nothing to try.

Checking out a different source with the WiiM Amp, as suggested by @jxrxme,.is also a good idea. If.you happen to have a smartphone with a 3,5 mm socket, you could even use the very same cable.

Good luck.

Back