Doubts about WiiM Amp

musig

Dear all,
this is my very first thread so let me say hi to everybody and congrats to the WiiM team who are making quite a good job with their devices.
I purchased a WiiM Amp a few days ago and there is a mix of doubts and questions I'd like to share.

1. Connecting this little amp to a pair of Dynaudio Compound 2 is sort of disappointing. The WiiM Amp is almost unable to drive them, the maximum volume is definitely low and the overall musical scene is a bit flat. I understand that these loudspeakers are quite difficult to manage but I was expecting a little more.
  2. Function-wise the WiiM Amp is very nice and definitely versatile. Minor issue is the lack of a coaxial digital input
  3. There is a little trouble with Airplay. Each time I try to forward the sound from my Mac mini M1 to the WiiM Amp I select the Amp from the sound output menu but no sound can be heard. If I go back to the internal speakers and then again to the WiiM Amp it works fine.
  4. When using an external streamer connected via Optical-In port, the Status LED color is sort of Orange. I can't find this color in the manual, what does it mean?
  5. In the "Audio Input" menu of the WiiM app I see "Line-in Input Resolution" setting, what is it for? Is Line-In input sampled?

Thank you in advance for any support any of you will provide
Best regards
Gaetano

Dear all,
this is my very first thread so let me say hi to everybody and congrats to the WiiM team who are making quite a good job with their devices.
I purchased a WiiM Amp a few days ago and there is a mix of doubts and questions I'd like to share.

1. Connecting this little amp to a pair of Dynaudio Compound 2 is sort of disappointing. The WiiM Amp is almost unable to drive them, the maximum volume is definitely low and the overall musical scene is a bit flat. I understand that these loudspeakers are quite difficult to manage but I was expecting a little more.
  2. Function-wise the WiiM Amp is very nice and definitely versatile. Minor issue is the lack of a coaxial digital input
  3. There is a little trouble with Airplay. Each time I try to forward the sound from my Mac mini M1 to the WiiM Amp I select the Amp from the sound output menu but no sound can be heard. If I go back to the internal speakers and then again to the WiiM Amp it works fine.
  4. When using an external streamer connected via Optical-In port, the Status LED color is sort of Orange. I can't find this color in the manual, what does it mean?
  5. In the "Audio Input" menu of the WiiM app I see "Line-in Input Resolution" setting, what is it for? Is Line-In input sampled?

Thank you in advance for any support any of you will provide
Best regards
Gaetano
Hi Gaetano,

Welcome to our forum! We're delighted to have you here and hope you'll find it both informative and enjoyable. Here are my responses to your queries:

1. Regarding the specifications of the Dynaudio Compound 2, we'll review them and get back to you shortly.

3. For further assistance with your issue, please submit a feedback ticket through the WiiM Home App. This will enable us to provide more detailed troubleshooting support.

4. The LED status light on your device represents different input modes as follows:
  • Network: White
  • Line-In: Light Green
  • Bluetooth: Green
  • Optical In, HDMI In: Orange
5. The Line-In feature includes sampling, allowing digital processing to be applied to the input before it's outputted.

Hi, thank you so much for such a fast and effective answer.

1. Thank you
3. I will surely do that, thank you
4. This helps a lot, I couldn't find it in the manual
5. If I use the Line-In with an external CD player, does any sampling occurs here?

Thank you
Gaetano

1. Thank you
5. If I use the Line-In with an external CD player, does any sampling occurs here?

Thank you
Gaetano
No, not with analogue input.

No, not with analogue input.
Thank you for your answer. Not sure I understand, if no sampling occurs with analogue input why do I have "Line-in Input Resolution" setting in the "Audio Input" Menu?

I don’t think it’s been confirmed that line input is passed straight to the amp and doesn’t go through digital conversion even if EQ/PEQ etc isn’t invoked.
Thank you @Brantome . Honestly I think this is an important point, I have a quite good CD player on the Line-In input and would definitely like to keep its DA conversion rather than converting it to digital and then to analog again. This would be a three conversions chain.

1. Thank you

Thank you
Gaetano
Hi Gaetano,

4 - We appreciate your reminder and will make sure to update our manual accordingly to reflect this.

5 - Regarding the analog line input, it is now converted to digital prior to being relayed to the amplifier. Thanks to our advanced ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter), which boasts an impressive Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) of approximately 110dB, the quality loss during this conversion process is kept to a bare minimum, ensuring that your audio experience remains rich and undiminished.

Could be the something as basic as volume is dealt with in the digital domain as it is for my Linn MDSM/4 amp
Sure, there are several reasons for a choice like that. Still IMHO when I see an analog input and an analog output I just hope that there is as less electronic as possible in between, to preserve the input signal.

@musig re this issue:

There is a little trouble with Airplay. Each time I try to forward the sound from my Mac mini M1 to the WiiM Amp I select the Amp from the sound output menu but no sound can be heard. If I go back to the internal speakers and then again to the WiiM Amp it works fine.

I have this exact issue. Even when I do get it connected, if I swap between watching a video or even changing the video I'm watching, I will lose the sound. I can get it back by switching between my Mac speakers and back to WiiM. It is like this consistently for me. I have a support ticket going which I've just followed up on, but I'm very interested in this thread and how you get on. It happens from my Mac and from my phone, app or browser, so is not device or source specific.

I was using my WiiM faultlessly for weeks and then this started. I actually wonder if it was following the last major iOS update, certainly feels like something that started due to a change on the WiiM or Apple end of things. Really wanting a fix as it makes the box pretty unusable :(

@musig re this issue:

There is a little trouble with Airplay. Each time I try to forward the sound from my Mac mini M1 to the WiiM Amp I select the Amp from the sound output menu but no sound can be heard. If I go back to the internal speakers and then again to the WiiM Amp it works fine.

I have this exact issue. Even when I do get it connected, if I swap between watching a video or even changing the video I'm watching, I will lose the sound. I can get it back by switching between my Mac speakers and back to WiiM. It is like this consistently for me. I have a support ticket going which I've just followed up on, but I'm very interested in this thread and how you get on. It happens from my Mac and from my phone, app or browser, so is not device or source specific.

I was using my WiiM faultlessly for weeks and then this started. I actually wonder if it was following the last major iOS update, certainly feels like something that started due to a change on the WiiM or Apple end of things. Really wanting a fix as it makes the box pretty unusable :(
In my case it is systematic from the M1 Mac, not sure about the iPhone, I will double check it.

It's a long shot but if you have a WiiM remote, trying pressing the play button when you forward the sound from the Mac and don't get any output.

Additionally I would send a log file to WiiM and see if they find anything odd in the state of the WiiM when this happens.

It's a long shot but if you have a WiiM remote, trying pressing the play button when you forward the sound from the Mac and don't get any output.

Additionally I would send a log file to WiiM and see if they find anything odd in the state of the WiiM when this happens.
This is interesting, what does it happen to you in this case? Does sound start?

This is interesting, what does it happen to you in this case? Does sound start?
My case is slightly different and it is with the WiiM Pro Plus but the behavior is similar. And yes if I use the play button on the WiiM Remote to power on the WiiM Pro Plus instead of the on/off button the music plays.

Details of my situation are here:

Back