Wiim Pro vs iFi Zen Stream

Vangelo51

Major Contributor
I have owned a Zen Stream for over a year. From Day 1, set up was problematical. I control this from an dedicated Android Tablet.
It would not connect consistently via WiFi even though the router with fibre feed is positioned within line of sight 8 feet away. My workaround was to use ethernet.

It would not reliably play my Music files which I stored on a 1TB SSD. This was plugged into a dedicated USB port on the back. Would load files depending on what mood it was in.....sometimes all, sometimes none, sometimes some.
I bought the unit partly because it was supposed to eventually have Chromecast......but this never materialised. Ifi blamed Google.
The thing ran red hot...so much so I put a PC fan on top of it.

The Zen has a rotary switch on the back which gives 5 modes:
1. All In On (everything active)
2. Roon
3. Tidal
4. NAA
5. DNLA

I ran it on DNLA via Bubble for a while as this allowed me to play my files stored on my tablet, but i was never happy with the interface. Not into Roon or NAA.....whatever that is :unsure:. Eventually I settled on Mode 3 and listened to Tidal Connect exclusively. This sounded best and worked reliably. It would connect every time I switched the unit on.......good enough to keep. I stopped listening to my album files, and duplicated them on Tidal where I could.
The major plus with this unit was it sounded great, had heavy all metal construction and was a bargain for the cost, some people even comparing it to a 2K Lumin.

Anyway, I was still interested in Chromecast, mainly because I was an Amazon Prime member and they seemed to have a more comprehensive library than Tidal. Also, they had UHD and were cheaper in cost.
When Wiim came out with the Pro, the Coax output would easily fit into my system. I was running everything through an Audio-GD DDC and the Coax input was spare. These type of units are getting more popular as they reprocess the source signal digitally and clean everything up so the DAC receives as pure a signal as possible.

I purchased my first Pro in January. I was amazed as I was able to set it up in a few minutes. Everything worked as expected. However, within a few hours of testing I could notice it was sonically inferior to the Zen. It was notably 2D in comparison. This was running through the Audio-GD and with a dedicated Supercaps power supply and BlueJeans cable. This sonic discrepancy was confirmed by my wife who has been on my HiFi journey and has keen ears that are 20 years younger than mine.

I was stuck with the Zen.......

Come July and Amazon doing their sale with a 20% reduction on the Wiim Pro so I figured I would buy one and keep it so I could at least access my music files.
This time, when I set it up, I was blown away. I spent the next few days critically listening to find a sonic difference between The Zen (Exclusive Tidal Connect mode) and the Pro Tidal connect (Hifi only, I dont have MQA). Going through the Audio-GD the switch over was fast and easy.....I just needed to toggle between USB & Coax input. If I got the wife to do it I didnt even have to move from my listening position ;).

I dont know what happened between January & July, but I have now permanently disconnected the Zen from my system. I cant tell you what a relief it is to be able to switch on my HiFi and not have to worry whether my streamer will connect or not.

A few people on this forum helped me access Amazon UHD via AlexaCast which I didnt know was possible after reading the small print on Amazon saying UHD can only be accessed via PC. Thanks to you guys for taking the time for showing me it was accessible through the Wiim. This is an added bonus. I am now testing between Tidal & Amazon (free 4 month trial at moment) to see which I prefer.

If I was to be picky, I would say I prefer the Native Tidal & Amazon apps to the on board Wiim app, but I think most people feel that way. Also, I have to play my files via HiFi Cast as the Wiim on board app is slow having to go through about 6 keystrokes to reach my Music folder and then everything is alphabetically reversed. I have raised a support ticket but not heard back from Tech yet.
Other than that, I am 100% on board with Wiim!

PS. I would like to add a disclaimer to say that my findings are based on both units, the Zen Streamer & Wiim Pro, not being connected directly to my DAC, but are going through a Digital to Digital Converter which is cleaning the signal. It could be after going through this device, the digital streams are both equalised and cannot be sonically distinguished. I have not tested both units directly to the DAC, so YMMV. I have also used quality external power supplies on both units. In mitigation though, back in January when I tested my first Pro, it sounded sonically inferior to the Zen, and that was still going through the DDC.

Last edited:
So was it the unit, a software update or ? What changed from January, if all else remained the same?

I used Temple Audio Supercaps power supply....5V for the Wiim & 12V for the Zen Stream.
Could not tell and difference between Tidal & Amazon.

Can you test without the ddc in the chain? If you have not already … I am not gonna tell you to level match since if you try with the volume you are used to listen for both and the difference is big enough it will show …

I used Temple Audio Supercaps power supply....5V for the Wiim & 12V for the Zen Stream.
Could not tell and difference between Tidal & Amazon.
Have you used the power supply that WiiM provide? I think tests have been done and there’s nothing wrong wit it.

I know you said the second Pro was a big improvement, but maybe you should test the first one again to see if it was the software update or a defective unit.

I have owned a Zen Stream for over a year. From Day 1, set up was problematical. I control this from an dedicated Android Tablet.
It would not connect consistently via WiFi even though the router with fibre feed is positioned within line of sight 8 feet away. My workaround was to use ethernet.

It would not reliably play my Music files which I stored on a 1TB SSD. This was plugged into a dedicated USB port on the back. Would load files depending on what mood it was in.....sometimes all, sometimes none, sometimes some.
I bought the unit partly because it was supposed to eventually have Chromecast......but this never materialised. Ifi blamed Google.
The thing ran red hot...so much so I put a PC fan on top of it.

The Zen has a rotary switch on the back which gives 5 modes:
1. All In On (everything active)
2. Roon
3. Tidal
4. NAA
5. DNLA

I ran it on DNLA via Bubble for a while as this allowed me to play my files stored on my tablet, but i was never happy with the interface. Not into Roon or NAA.....whatever that is :unsure:. Eventually I settled on Mode 3 and listened to Tidal Connect exclusively. This sounded best and worked reliably. It would connect every time I switched the unit on.......good enough to keep. I stopped listening to my album files, and duplicated them on Tidal where I could.
The major plus with this unit was it sounded great, had heavy all metal construction and was a bargain for the cost, some people even comparing it to a 2K Lumin.

Anyway, I was still interested in Chromecast, mainly because I was an Amazon Prime member and they seemed to have a more comprehensive library than Tidal. Also, they had UHD and were cheaper in cost.
When Wiim came out with the Pro, the Coax output would easily fit into my system. I was running everything through an Audio-GD DDC and the Coax input was spare. These type of units are getting more popular as they reprocess the source signal digitally and clean everything up so the DAC receives as pure a signal as possible.

I purchased my first Pro in January. I was amazed as I was able to set it up in a few minutes. Everything worked as expected. However, within a few hours of testing I could notice it was sonically inferior to the Zen. It was notably 2D in comparison. This was running through the Audio-GD and with a dedicated Supercaps power supply and BlueJeans cable. This sonic discrepancy was confirmed by my wife who has been on my HiFi journey and has keen ears that are 20 years younger than mine.

I was stuck with the Zen.......

Come July and Amazon doing their sale with a 20% reduction on the Wiim Pro so I figured I would buy one and keep it so I could at least access my music files.
This time, when I set it up, I was blown away. I spent the next few days critically listening to find a sonic difference between The Zen (Exclusive Tidal Connect mode) and the Pro Tidal connect (Hifi only, I dont have MQA). Going through the Audio-GD the switch over was fast and easy.....I just needed to toggle between USB & Coax input. If I got the wife to do it I didnt even have to move from my listening position ;).

I dont know what happened between January & July, but I have now permanently disconnected the Zen from my system. I cant tell you what a relief it is to be able to switch on my HiFi and not have to worry whether my streamer will connect or not.

A few people on this forum helped me access Amazon UHD via AlexaCast which I didnt know was possible after reading the small print on Amazon saying UHD can only be accessed via PC. Thanks to you guys for taking the time for showing me it was accessible through the Wiim. This is an added bonus. I am now testing between Tidal & Amazon (free 4 month trial at moment) to see which I prefer.

If I was to be picky, I would say I prefer the Native Tidal & Amazon apps to the on board Wiim app, but I think most people feel that way. Also, I have to play my files via HiFi Cast as the Wiim on board app is slow having to go through about 6 keystrokes to reach my Music folder and then everything is alphabetically reversed. I have raised a support ticket but not heard back from Tech yet.
Other than that, I am 100% on board with Wiim!

PS. I would like to add a disclaimer to say that my findings are based on both units, the Zen Streamer & Wiim Pro, not being connected directly to my DAC, but are going through a Digital to Digital Converter which is cleaning the signal. It could be after going through this device, the digital streams are both equalised and cannot be sonically distinguished. I have not tested both units directly to the DAC, so YMMV. I have also used quality external power supplies on both units. In mitigation though, back in January when I tested my first Pro, it sounded sonically inferior to the Zen, and that was still going through the DDC.
They promised a chromecast update but never materialized. It’s expensive and used volumio software. I had that unit and gave up.

Huh. So what, exactly, is it about the WiiM’s digital output, which has been proven many times to be bit-perfect, that needs to be “cleaned”?

I know you said the second Pro was a big improvement, but maybe you should test the first one again to see if it was the software update or a defective unit.
Sent it back....but now I have familiarised myself with the unit, thinking back it probably wasn't fully optimised.

Huh. So what, exactly, is it about the WiiM’s digital output, which has been proven many times to be bit-perfect, that needs to be “cleaned”?
I already had the Audio-GD Di-20 ......It wasnt like I went out and bought it just to use with the Wiim Pro.
The purpose of that last paragraph was to point out that the Wiim & Zen were compared going through the device. If I didn't establish that proviso, some one would come on here and say.....'oh, your comparison is pointless because you are not going direct to the DAC...blah blah blah'.

Anyway, are you saying that because the Wiim is 'bit perfect' it means the SQ cannot be improved??? Going through the Audio-GD both the Wiim & Zen were sonically boosted to another level. Also, changing the power supply significantly helped ....

Last edited:
Anyway, are you saying that because the Wiim is 'bit perfect' it means the SQ cannot be improved??? Going through the Audio-GD both the Wiim & Zen were sonically boosted to another level. Also, changing the power supply significantly helped ....
Please explain, in technical terms, EXACTLY how this is remotely possible.

Back