My recommendations for using a WiiM Pro

Melomane

Battery power supply:

This is not intended as an advert, but as a recommendation ;)

Test: rpi4 + ifi Zen DAC headphone amplifier.
The LHY immediately made a positive impact compared to a power bank: More clarity in the presentation, more cleanliness, more composure without becoming boring. It was simply more enjoyable to listen to the music, there was no longer any feeling of strain in playback. Then the WiiM. The same tendency, but not as pronounced as with the rpi.

Connection to DAC: I prefer the optical connection. This is because coaxial does not provide interference-free playback in my setup. I use an optical cable from Mutec. To my ears, the playback sounds cleaner and clearer than with other cables.

All impressions exclusively with playback via headphones. ;)

Edit: Room correction: minim/DLNAserver + convoproxy.

Last edited:
I have my Wiim Pro connected to Audio-GD R7 mk2 DAC via optical and find it better than coax. I"m using the stock optical cable and it's smoother and removes some of the edginess I hear when using coax connection.

I'm using a 5v LPS to feed my Wiim and also find it improves the sound over stock power supply.

From the DAC I'm feeding a Audio-GD HE-9 HP/Preamp that I use to power my Meze Elites.

For 2 channel I have the HE-9 feeding (2) Audio-GD Master 2a amps then feed a pair of Martin Logan ESL-X speakers.

I have EQ settings for both my Headphones and Speaker setup through the Wiim app. I used REW for speaker setup and found some recommended settings for the Meze.

The system sounds great with either option.

I agree with Melomane's approach.

Some of configuration changes made for my wiim pro. It's connected to 5V 2.5A Lps ( Jay's Audio ) via chakra power filter bought from AliExpress. The chakra filter also power up my ifi ispdif purifier ( reclocker) via optical out from Wiim Pro.Noise floor certainly lowered.

Some of configuration changes made for my wiim pro. It's connected to 5V 2.5A Lps ( Jay's Audio ) via chakra power filter bought from AliExpress. The chakra filter also power up my ifi ispdif purifier ( reclocker) via optical out from Wiim Pro.Noise floor certainly lowered.
wow, i just switched to a topping p50 LPS for my WiiM and Wi-Fi repeater (to isolate the WiiM from ethernet noise - as an alternative to expensive switches). and i have a S/PDIF ipurifier on the way as well. (i connect via optical to my active speaker + sub setup)

i'm curious - what improvements did you notice after each upgrade? 🤔

so far for me the biggest upgrade was turning off Wi-Fi in the pro and connecting via ethernet to the Wi-Fi repeater... it widened the soundstage, improved off-axis performance, and the bass seemed to have better timing. :)

i've only had the topping p50 LPS for a couple of hours now, so i'm going to wait to see if i notice any major changes in my system.

Must be the effect of wider angles of WiFi transmission via the repeater. BTW, it's a bridge if it connects wired device to the access point via WiFi, not the repeater.
Anyway, these "repeater" things are usually the worst and least stable network devices, to be used as a last resort.

Last edited:
Yeh sorry it's in bridge (/client) mode, thanks. But it is labelled as a repeater in case people are looking to replicate it...

Also, if your Wi-Fi signal is poor then they can be unreliable, I agree. and obviously they introduce latency into the whole chain. But overall - it's probably the cheapest/easiest way to achieve full isolation from common mode interference especially (but also differential mode) being introduced into the digital audio data chain from the LAN...

Sometimes statements remind me of unarmed gladiators who singing and voluntarily go to an arena occupied by hungry lions.
wow did the almighty @Fender refer to me as a gladiator! i'm humbled and honoured! :)

but yeah, it seems like we might not the only ones who talk like that. see this talk by Rob Watt (Chord Electronics) from just a few days ago at CanJam.

yes. i believe it's the best for my combination of equipment
So why are you thinking about how "to achieve full isolation from common mode interference especially (but also differential mode) being introduced into the digital audio data chain from the LAN"?

So why are you thinking about how "to achieve full isolation from common mode interference especially (but also differential mode) being introduced into the digital audio data chain from the LAN"?
well, because we believe that these can pollute the digital signal (in the case of optical in the form of jitter). which not all DACs adequately correct for...

so the idea is to reduce the noise in the entire chain. the easiest/cheapest of which is to reduce this in the ethernet feeding the source.

well, because we believe that these can pollute the digital signal (in the case of optical in the form of jitter). which not all DACs adequately correct for...
Jitter itself is inevitable, so DACs are designed to handle it correctly. Most of them, excluding very old ones, very unusual ones or weird ones. I guess that "believe" word wasn't used by accident :)

so the idea is to reduce the noise in the entire chain. the easiest/cheapest of which is to reduce this in the ethernet feeding the source.
So pulse transformers mounted in switches or routers for ethernet ports are not good enough?

Jitter itself is inevitable, so DACs are designed to handle it correctly. Most of them, excluding very old ones, very unusual ones or weird ones. I guess that "believe" word wasn't used by accident :)

So pulse transformers mounted in switches or routers for ethernet ports are not good enough?
yes of course. i try to convey the uncertainty i have in my mind about these concepts by using words like that.

pulse transformers u mean the ones used for isolation in medical/industrial networking equipment? yeh those should work. but the issue is the cost of these commercially available switches with well implemented isolation systems... (compared to DIY)

yes of course. i try to convey the uncertainty i have in my mind about these concepts by using words like that.

pulse transformers u mean the ones used for isolation in medical/industrial networking equipment? yeh those should work. but the issue is the cost of these commercially available switches with well implemented isolation systems... (compared to DIY)
No, I mean transformers which can be seen in (almost?) every ethernet switch, like this one

where http://www.bi-tek.com.tw/en/product...E-T-DUAL-PORT-LAN-TRANSFORMER-FM-3178LLF.html are mounted.

The LHY and Jay's audio are the same units. At least the lone Jay unit I have, internally it is identical to my LHY units.

It's connected to 5V 2.5A Lps ( Jay's Audio ) via chakra power filter bought from AliExpress.
Please clarify: If your power supply is identical to the LHY, what can a filter do? Because with the battery power supply from the LHY, you are independent of the power grid. I hope deepl has translated sensibly ;)

Please clarify: If your power supply is identical to the LHY, what can a filter do? Because with the battery power supply from the LHY, you are independent of the power grid. I hope deepl has translated sensibly ;)
They are the same rating and looks identical I think. Btw, forgot to mention that I have Plixir Balanced AC conditioner supplying power to the Jay's LPS. Ifi Ethernet ipurifier inserted to the dedicated switch ( 2KV protection) that supply Ethernet data to wiim. Another cheap ethernet isolator ( OVP RJ45 100)inserted into wiim amp's side.

I'm happy with this configuration thus far. Waiting for another chakra filter to supply the switch.

Back