AV set-up using a Pro and Pro plus and separate active speakers

opusover21

Hello,
I want to play TV audio via my Beolab 800 and an LG Dolby atoms soundbar....in sync and the same volume!

This maybe useful for other people as I've spent hours faffing about with this....

Both Wiim Pro and Pro plus have to be selected as 'Wi-fi'
Wiim Pro plus output via variable line out, second Wiim Pro variable out via Optical
Apple TV out via the Apple TV sound out settings to connect both Wiim boxes and not internal TV but obviously a HDMI connected to the TV for picture

Findings here:

Group play conflicts
I assumed you needed to group the play on the app to synchronise playback.....this actually causes issues and ends up dropping one device or both....I have no rationale for this but grouping via AirPlay and the App seems to have some conflicts...the remote on the Apple TV actually groups and when adjusting volume moves both together anyway so do not group these via the App it will drive you mad

Synronsing sound for both devices
There is a natural delay between the soundbar and the Beolab 8000's...the App calibration using auto calibrate needs to be performed on each Wiim box...it plays a sound and suggests a delay...the Beolab 8000 via the Pro was -4ms and the LG soundbar -42ms
Without this sync calibration you get a weird echo effect so it is a crucial step

Synchronising output volume
This is more tricky as do you actually want the soundbar + Sub to be identical volume to the stereo speakers?
The soundbar I set to 2v out but have the volume on the soundbar set to max, I have no idea of the input sensitivity as its a variable digital signal..
The Beolab 8000 I have set to 2volts also but again to ensure they are roughly the same volume when using the Apple TV volume I had to reduce the volume limit to 73%

This is key are the 73% in not a volume ceiling as such but provides 73% of 2volts output across the range! massively useful! without this I would have to contantly control both volumes independently which would have been a pain..

Setting volume using test signals
I landed on the 73% by running youTube test signals at 200hz, 600hz at and muting the signal from the soundbar....observing the DB output using a DB sound App and noting the reading at typical listening volumes i.e. 50db....then play the same test tone but mute the soundbar and play through the Beolab 8000...adjusting t he 73% to the same 50db output

Overall result
Overall the result is outstanding...the sum of the parts much greater than the soundbar alone or BeoLab 8000 alone....you get a much bigger soundstage and sounds much better than various high end speakers I've had...

The volume matching I'm not 100% on as the dynamic range and frequencies result in differing volume so I've tweaked the 73% a bit to focus the sound a bit more centrally so voices off the TV is more centred as that's my preference as opposed to identical output from all speakers doesn't sound quite right...
You can set preference by playing various voice tracks and youTube music and turn on and off the Beoland speakers or soundbar to hear the impact of the volume and speakers on and off

This is the only area which I'm still not settled on....

Issues which could be better
- Group play on the App doesn't work with Apple Airplay...theres a conflict somewhere
- Not allowing multiple outputs on the Wiim...you can only select one output! ideally I don't see why both line out and optical out can't be used at the same time
- Grouping Wiim boxes. I assumed one Wiim box would be paired to another....this isn't correct in my use case and actually the Apple TV groups the devices, then a case of tweaking them to get the settings synchronised....

Hope that's useful!

From your description of using the Apple TV as the source of the audio to be sent to two end devices using the Wiims in effect as airplay bridges, then using the native Airplay 2 group feature would have been my first thought. I wouldn’t have thought that using the WiiM app to group the devices into a “Linkplay“ group would have been visible as an Airplay target entity to the Apple TV.

Back