Google Cast (Chromecast casting) to Google Nest / Google Home speaker groups and Chromecast Audio enabled speakers from WiiM Pro?

Hedda

Will you please consider adding support for Google Cast (Chromecast casting) to Google Nest / Google Home speaker groups and Chromecast Audio enabled speakers from WiiM Pro?

That is, for the WiiM Pro to be able to act as a Chromecast audio casting source device (audio output/transmitter) instead of a Chromecast audio receiver target device (audio input). I know that WiiM Pro can today only act as a Chromecast audio receiver and cannot transmit/cast from physical audio input (via Line-In or Optical-In) to Google Nest / Google Home speaker groups and Chromecast Audio enabled speakers.

The reason for requesting this feature is that I am thinking about buying a vinyl record player (a phonograph/turntable/gramophone with analogue audio output) to play LP records / vinyl records and want an easy way to use it as a Google Cast (Chromecast casting) streaming source using some kind of network streamer to digitize and cast the audio stream to Chromecast Audio devices and Google Home / Google Nest speakers that we have, including Google Home speaker groups for multi-room audio.

* Record player (with preamp built-in) analogue output -> analogue input on WiiM Pro to Chromecast casting -> Google Home speakers

Others might want the same feature for other reasons, whether that be streaming audio discs from their Audio CD players, Super Audio CD (SACD) players, DVD-Audio/DVD-A, or other physical music collections.

The problem with this is that I can not seem to find any commercial network streamers that are sold today that natively support streaming audio to receivers using Chromecast (Google Cast protocol) such as Chromecast Audio and Google Home / Google Nest speaker.

FYI, there are several non-professional DIY workarounds out there, like using the "Vinyl Cast" (VinylCast) app by Allen Schober in combination with a USB audio card on an Android device, or a Raspberry Pi with applications/scripts like Darkice or Icecast, but such solutions are either inconvenient or relatively complex to setup and maintained, so I would prefer to just buy a network music streamer that supported this feature out of the box.

Tip to WiiM developers;, you should be aware that a few of the DIY solutions out there depend on "AirConnect" project by philippe44 as it is an open-source library to achieve this indirectly by presenting Chromecast receivers (as well as UPnP/DNLA players) as virtual AirPlay receivers, so perhaps WiiM could do look at it too as a workaround if you can not find a way to implement native Google Cast (Chromecast casting) support? Anyway, audio to Chromecast receivers can still be streamed in plain FLAC (or re-encoded as FLAC) to get the highest audio quality that Chromecast audio receivers support. Suggest that WiiM developers at least check it out here -> https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

PS: I already read that the WiiM Pro newer firmware now supports AirPlay Cast to support casting from WiiM Pro to Apple HomePod and other AirPlay / AirPlay 2 enabled speakers, however, that does not help me personally (as we do not have any AirPlay speakers or AirPlay enabled receivers). I also know that we could just record and fully digitize all our vinyl records as lossless FLAC files and then stream those FLAC files over the network, but that would completely defeat the nostalgic feeling of playing physical vinyl records on a vinyl record player, (and yes I am aware that streaming LP records / vinyl records kind of partially negate the nostalgic feeling of playing physical vinyl records but as we already have a Chromecast audio based speakers for multi-room the convenience wins for that, but we still want to be able to use physical media for the music records in out existing setup without replacing all our Google Home / Google Nest speakers).

Last edited:
Not sure hardware can do that via the Chromecast api it’s an app thing to cast not instigated by the hardware. Is there any other device that can do this ? Other than perhaps Googles own devices. Airplay casting is a bit of a hack and not using official Airplay to my knowledge.

PS: I already read that the WiiM Pro newer firmware now supports AirPlay Cast to support casting from WiiM Pro to Apple HomePod and other AirPlay / AirPlay 2 enabled speakers, however, that does not help me personally (as we do not have any AirPlay speakers or AirPlay enabled receivers). I also know that we could just record and fully digitize all our vinyl records as lossless FLAC files and then stream those FLAC files over the network, but that would completely defeat the nostalgic feeling of playing physical vinyl records on a vinyl record player, (and yes I am aware that streaming LP records / vinyl records kind of partially negate the nostalgic feeling of playing physical vinyl records but as we already have a Chromecast audio based speakers for multi-room the convenience wins for that, but we still want to be able to use physical media for the music records in out existing setup without replacing all our Google Home / Google Nest speakers).

The AirPlay cast part is working great - of my 4 remote speakers, I was surprised to find 2 of them do support AirPlay which is handy. Would def love chromecast for the other 2 over time. Still think the WiiM Pro is a great little device for the price.

Absolutely second this. I bought the WiM Pro expecting this to be a functionally as have been looking for a device that does what you have described for years. Unfortunately misunderstood it's current line in and streaming functionality so sadly will be selling unless this becomes a feature. I have enough Chromecast enabled devices and Chromecast Audio pucks that this WiiM device doesn't bring anything new for me unless I can stream my records on my Chromecast device ecosystem throughout the house. The hunt for an out the box solution to this issue goes on.

Absolutely second this. I bought the WiM Pro expecting this to be a functionally as have been looking for a device that does what you have described for years. Unfortunately misunderstood it's current line in and streaming functionality so sadly will be selling unless this becomes a feature. I have enough Chromecast enabled devices and Chromecast Audio pucks that this WiiM device doesn't bring anything new for me unless I can stream my records on my Chromecast device ecosystem throughout the house. The hunt for an out the box solution to this issue goes on.
I'd hold on for the WiiM guys to get this going - pretty sure they will. Based on my research, I could not find any other out of box solution that even gets close. Sounds like this will come.

I'd hold on for the WiiM guys to get this going - pretty sure they will. Based on my research, I could not find any other out of box solution that even gets close. Sounds like this will come.
Really hope so, seen a lot of people looking for solutions to this on Reddit/forums for years and having to resort to high latency/low quality apps or complicated Raspberry PI workarounds so I'm sure there's a demand. Fingers crossed.

Really hope so, seen a lot of people looking for solutions to this on Reddit/forums for years and having to resort to high latency/low quality apps or complicated Raspberry PI workarounds so I'm sure there's a demand. Fingers crossed.
Ditto. Gotta say how well the streaming to the 2 of my speakers which happened to support AirPlay works - very little detectable latency, and the sounds seems to sync up well. Had both of them a couple of years and didn't buy either because of AirPlay (I have 0 apple devices). Just lucky they happened to support it.

Another observation - I'm using Bluetooth to stream the turntable to my living room soundbar too (a sony ht-zf9). I previously connected the turntable directly via analog since they are in the same unit, but the sound has always lacked punch and bass. It's stunning how much better it is streamed digitally over BT from the WiiM Pro+. I suspect the ADC is way better quality than what was in the ZF9, plus the equalizer lets me tweak it (although there is plenty of punchy bass even without). Honestly - I'd have kept the WiiM just for that!

Edit: Only problem I am having now is not spending money on a Naim Mu-So Qb or a pair of KEFs for my other room now I know how good the t/table can sound streamed.

I would love this as well. Being able to cast vinyl to Nest speakers around my home would be lovely. I am considering buying a Wiim Mini to add to my Wiim Pro so that I can have this functionality between two amps/sets of speakers.

Edit: I just realized that the Wiim Mini doesn't support Chromecast, so I won't be going in that direction.

Last edited:
Back