Wiim Pro vs iFi Zen Stream

@Vangelo51

Is your DAC so poor at proper handling of spdif stream that it needs a special "cleaning" routines?
Are you being serious? Have you never heard of DDC devices such as the Gustard U18, Audio-GD DI-20, Denafrips IRIS? These devices de-jitter and re-clock the digital presented to the DAC. The DI-20 also allows the SPDIF output of the Wiim Pro to be converted to i2s into my DAC.
Now you may believe such a device is not necessary, and i2s makes no difference, but I happen to believe in my system they make a huge difference.

Are you being serious? Have you never heard of DDC devices such as the Gustard U18, Audio-GD DI-20, Denafrips IRIS? These devices de-jitter and re-clock the digital presented to the DAC. The DI-20 also allows the SPDIF output of the Wiim Pro to be converted to i2s into my DAC.
Now you may believe such a device is not necessary, and i2s makes no difference, but I happen to believe in my system they make a huge difference.
...and in a properly conducted DBT, I guarantee the "huge difference" would go away, unless the DDC is adding distortions.

I'm very serious but you didn't answer to me. I'm aware of reclockers like the ones offered by Mutec, and that is why I've asked my question.

...and in a properly conducted DBT, I guarantee the "huge difference" would go away, unless the DDC is adding distortions.
Not sure why you feel the need to troll me, like you are a superior being. Let me enjoy what I enjoy in my ignorance. I dont need to be educated by you.........

"Studies by the AES (analysis, not human testing) conclude that these are the thresholds of audibility:

[1] 120psec P-P jitter audibility threshold for 16-bit DAC and 8psec P-P jitter audibility threshold for 20-bit DAC

[2] 20psec P-P of data-correlated jitter audibility threshold at certain frequencies and "A simple model of jitter error audibility has shown that white jitter noise of up to 180psec P-P can be tolerated in a DAC, but that even lower levels of sinusoidal jitter may be audible"

Since many measurements (that don't specify any particular frequency content) performed by Stereophile in

[3] are above 150psec or close to this, I do not believe that we have reached the limits of jitter audibility yet. I suspect that P-P jitter needs to be almost an order of magnitude smaller, or around 15psec to be inaudible in all systems."

For the sake of discussion taken out of stereophile review wiim mini averages around 1ns of jitter during music playback.

Maybe. And, maybe, based on Julian Dunn paper, http://www.nanophon.com/audio/1394_sampling_jitter.pdf
"A recent paper [8] describes practical research that found the lowest jitter level at which the jitter made a noticeable difference to be about 10ns rms. This was with a high level test sine tone at 17kHz. With music none of their subjects found jitter below 20ns rms to be audible."
where
[8] is Eric Benjamin and Benjamin Gannon, ‘Theoretical and Audible Effects ofJitter on Digital Audio Quality’, Pre-print 4826 of the 105th AES Convention, SanFrancisco, September 1998

Back