Beta Test: TIDAL Hi-Res (i.e. Max)

Just back from a trip and was excited to upgrade. Now my Pro is running version 4.8.534064 - I see release notes saying latest is ending 065 (maybe that's for Pro Plus).

I understand I need to use Tidal Connect, but should MQA toggle be on or off in the Wiim app?

Just back from a trip and was excited to upgrade. Now my Pro is running version 4.8.534064 - I see release notes saying latest is ending 065 (maybe that's for Pro Plus).

I understand I need to use Tidal Connect, but should MQA toggle be on or off in the Wiim app?
Since not all hi-res has been set available in Flac and even some new releases are posted in MQA only, you should keep it on, at least until further developments.

I think tidal must provide a flac only option . If selected the user will receive hi res flac (assuming subscribed in the highest tier ) and if high res flac is not available , he should get cd quality flac

I think tidal must provide a flac only option . If selected the user will receive hi res flac (assuming subscribed in the highest tier ) and if high res flac is not available , he should get cd quality flac
You could leave off the MQA switch on WiiM preferences and the system will delivers as you stated.
Don't know if really all MQA will be replaced, in the near future.
I would even say that MQA is not evil as stated. In order to save band with selective compression, it was effective and first unfolding is not that bad. If only they didn't ask for so expensive royalties and they didn't try to slide to mystical and quite religious side it had reason to be...

Last edited:
Actually, if you leave it off, and you have a DAC that knows how to deal with MQA via Toslink, you will get the MQA format when you will play a Master quality in the WiiM Home, and in case that the specific song that you playing has two tracks which one of them is MQA and the other is FLAC, you will see the HiRes FLAC only if you play it via Tidal Connect.
probably as said, in November they should release a WiiM Home app that knows how to deal with playing HiRes FLAC using the WiiM Home interface. I hope they also update their applications on iOS, Android and also their client for Mac :)

Actually, if you leave it off, and you have a DAC that knows how to deal with MQA via Toslink, you will get the MQA format when you will play a Master quality in the WiiM Home, and in case that the specific song that you playing has two tracks which one of them is MQA and the other is FLAC, you will see the HiRes FLAC only if you play it via Tidal Connect.
probably as said, in November they should release a WiiM Home app that knows how to deal with playing HiRes FLAC using the WiiM Home interface. I hope they also update their applications on iOS, Android and also their client for Mac :)
Yes, is true, I have a non MQA dac so I didn't post myself this question.
Consider also, that CD version of majority of MQA tracks, are derived from it. At the moment maybe is better to let the first unfold happens.

Anyone have some information regarding the WiiM Home application that will support the playing of HiRes Flac from tidal? Because currently it supports only using tidal connect from the Tidal Application to the WiiM …
Not yet, but it will come - not confirmed, but my personal opinion. I also reached out to BubbleUpnp and Heos on this.. Answers below.

BubbleUpnp:

Thank you for your interest in BubbleUPnP.

Yes, it will be supported in an update towards the end of November

heos:

Thank you for your request.

Due to frequent requests for Tidal HiRes formats in the HEOS app, we have forwarded the request to our development department.
If and when Tidal HiRes FLAC will be available in HEOS is not foreseeable at the moment.

So i am sure it will be supported in WHA in due course. Just be patient ;-)

Due to frequent requests for Tidal HiRes formats in the HEOS app, we have forwarded the request to our development department.
If and when Tidal HiRes FLAC will be available in HEOS is not foreseeable at the moment.
Heos seems always to be very slow in catching up with new features, I wouldn’t hold my breath…

Why? what advantage there is in MQA over HiRes Flac? Mqa is lossy format and Flac is lossless
Given today's available bandwidth, I don't see reason why to go with MQA but to be precise, it would not be a lossy format in the same meaning of Mp3 or AAC and although it's not "bit perfect", compared to master it comes from, it saves space selectively in bit range and sampling space not meaningful. It's still much better than a total lossy format and objectively not so far from original hi-res flac. Sure, they had to declare from the beginning what it was and not follow mystic and mystery path...

That what's all about for me, latest with the starting "info" war from Golden Sound. Who (or whom) is just another "audiophile" influencing windbag and no authority for me, but in this special case it was pointed out that MQA is a foggy, tricky and solely money creating hoax. For example "as intended by the artist" for long before MQA dead people...
Again, this format is closer to "the truth" than AAC, Ogg and MP3 (and I personally can not hear any difference to FLAC, may be others can) but for me Tidal remains the label "not serious".

Last edited:
I know that a new fw will be released for wiim mini for tidal connect . But again connect is unplayable . With upnp and mconnect it is rock solid . Ticket number :

492469​

After playing some songs it started disconnecting(pausing and resuming ) also on upnp .

Qobuz is solid.

JPLAY on tidal stable ( and very very clean sounding!)

Last edited:
I know that a new fw will be released for wiim mini for tidal connect . But again connect is unplayable . With upnp and mconnect it is rock solid . Ticket number :

492469​

After playing some songs it started disconnecting(pausing and resuming ) also on upnp .

Qobuz is solid.

JPLAY on tidal stable ( and very very clean sounding!)
but is this ticket number used to access the fw beta?

Back