Connecting Laptop to Wiim Pro Via WIFI

pauly123

I want to play WAV and FLAC files that I have on my laptop over my stereo. I want to use the Wiim Pro WIFI connection. I have figured out how to connect my Spotify app on my laptop through the WIFI connection on the Wiim and I have figured out how to connect the laptop via Bluetooth, but I can't figure out how to play audio from laptop over the WIFI connection to the Wiim. Help?

I'm also assuming that you want / need to use your laptop as the controller, seeing as you mentioned using spotify from your laptop and connecting your laptop via bluetooth.
i.e. you're not using the wiim home app (or any other app) to play music via an android/apple device.

Okay thank you, Mr Ee. I downloaded the home app for windows and it works as I hoped. Do you know if there is a way that I can play audio from the internet (youtube, netflix, etc) through my Wiim Pro's Wifi (not Bluetooth)? EDIT: disregard. Yes, I can play all the youtube, netflix, siriusXM, and cast it with the Chromecast to my Wiim Pro. Thank you.

Last edited:
You should be able to cast to the pro via chromecast, assuming you've enabled that in the wiim app.

Edit - scratch that...
I read youtube, and assumed youtube music.
The pro won't show up in youtube / netflix as it's only audio.

You should be able to cast to the pro via chromecast, assuming you've enabled that in the wiim app.

Edit - scratch that...
I read youtube, and assumed youtube music.
The pro won't show up in youtube / netflix as it's only audio.
If you watch content within the chrome browser, can’t you ChromeCast from that?

Yes, I discovered that I can listen to Youtube and Netflix's audio portion using Chromecast and Wiim Pro. Thanks. As far as "enabling media sharing" I am still trying to figure that out. Thank you.

would anyone know what the sound quality difference would be if I cast my music using the Wiim Pro app versus using the Google Home app (chromecast)? I assume its identical being that they are both using WIFI to send the data?

would anyone know what the sound quality difference would be if I cast my music using the Wiim Pro app versus using the Google Home app (chromecast)? I assume it’s identical being that they are both using WIFI to send the data?
It’s not using wifi that determines the quality, but the protocol. Using the WiiM home app uses upnp/DLNA and will deliver whatever quality the file has up to 24/192 from the WiiM’s digital outputs into your dac/amp.

Using Chromecast from your pc is theoretically limited to 24/96 (many will say that the protocol only supports that) but the WiiM Pro can support up to 24/192 over ChromeCast as well (although apps like qobuz do limit it to 24/96).

So in your instance, each method should deliver the same quality.

The WIIM app on android can see my windows mediaplayer share, but it doesn't work. What happens is. I go to Home Music Share, it sees the share on my pc. I can choose playlists or music. At that point I have to double tap ore nothing happens (like I am using my mouse in windows). I double tap music. Get a list of options like artist/album, artists, all music. I have to double tap there too. Then it times out and/ or crashes.

What you can also do is install BubbleUpnP server on your computer to create a network share. You can then use the BubbleUpnP Android client to send music that is on your PC to the WIIM. I was hoping the app would see the UPNP share, but it didn't. I see it flashing by quickly, so maybe if I disable the WMP network share.

I want to play WAV and FLAC files that I have on my laptop over my stereo. I want to use the Wiim Pro WIFI connection. I have figured out how to connect my Spotify app on my laptop through the WIFI connection on the Wiim and I have figured out how to connect the laptop via Bluetooth, but I can't figure out how to play audio from laptop over the WIFI connection to the Wiim. Help?
Open home music share on the wiim, any music on a phone iPad or laptop will show up on the wiim

Back