Controlling a Pro with a keyboard

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
Okay, I’m about to get a Pro for my office. It’ll drive my set up, which starts with a DAC (I won’t go into the rest), currently controlled by my laptop (more in a moment). I usually use the Amazon Music desktop app, but will use the WiiM app with the Pro.

Here’s the thing, the app is on the phone. But a phone is (a) touchscreen and (b) small, whilst I want to use (a) a traditional full size keyboard and mouse, and (b) a monitor.

My laptop set-up, I use it less as a laptop and more in place of a PC tower - I have an external Dell monitor (I use HDMI out from the laptop to display port in on the monitor), and a separate wired traditional keyboard and mouse.

In addition (if it helps) I have an Amazon Kindle Fire.m, on which I understand the app works.

I understand that WiiM app on PC is poor, so that’s out.

I could get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the Kindle. Any way to connect it to the monitor? Or the iPhone?

Anyway, over to you. How can I control the Pro using a traditional keyboard and mouse, and displayed on a monitor.

Surely I can’t be the only one who’d like to do this.

Anyone?

If you normally use amazon music app on pc, can you continue to do that?
i.e. can you alexacast from the pc amazon app like you can from the android / apple app?

i.e. can you alexacast from the pc amazon app like you can from the android / apple app?
No, you can’t cast from the pc app strangely, although you can from the android app under the Windows Subsystem for Android…

I did have the WiiM Home android app briefly working in the Windows Subsystem For Android, but now it can’t see my devices and just complains about not being able to initiate a BLE connection…

I don’t think so.

Even if you could, I’m not sure if you can do that in conjunction with the PEQ.

I do find it strange.

Is there really no clamour at all for this?

Are people really happier typing in searches (as an example) on their tiny phone touchscreens than a proper keyboard?

You can now install Logitech Media Server and stream to your Wiim with a beta firmware with squeezelite functionality
It's expected to be included in the 8/31 update (see Wiim team for more)
Then you will have your windows box and your tablet or phone able to control the LMS server
Probably a good solution to your requirements

Of course you can do it with Roon also. But I never have such excessive or time intensive searching where the tablet or the phone are not competitive to a keyboard 😉

I do find it strange.

Are people really happier typing in searches (as an example) on their tiny phone touchscreens than a proper keyboard?
Given that most people are happy using their phone for texting and messaging, the lack of a large physical keyboard wouldn’t seem to be a barrier…

You can now install Logitech Media Server and stream to your Wiim with a beta firmware with squeezelite functionality
It's expected to be included in the 8/31 update (see Wiim team for more)
Then you will have your windows box and your tablet or phone able to control the LMS server
Probably a good solution to your requirements
Unfortunately not with Amazon Music

I do find it strange.

At least I have a phone keyboard faster than a PC keyboard. 😁

And with a wireless keyboard like the Logitech K780, you can type on both your PC and phone.

Given that most people are happy using their phone for texting and messaging, the lack of a large physical keyboard wouldn’t seem to be a barrier…

I know what you mean. But surely that’s because phones are ultra-portable.

Would anyone, sat at a desk, prefer to type in a phone than a keyboard?

And even if they would, are there not enough who’d prefer a traditional keyboard to make the difference?

Amazon Music is the issue. If you ditched that and went with say Qobuz then either LMS or Roon would give you exactly what you are looking for. A nice GUI that works the same across PC, phone and tablet with a proper search facility.

I will repeat what I truly believe.

The advantage ‘analogue/vinyl’ enthusiasts often cite, which isn’t b*ll*cks, is the large format of LP/gatefold covers, booklets, and the physical dimension.

The physical but is tough, but you can out-do 12” sleeve art on a 65” TV screen.

Someone in digital/streaming land needs to start to think how to make hi-fi in the living room as good as it could be.

Access to a large display and not having to use a tiny touchscreen to navigate would be a great start.

@Steve Woodhouse
Quite sure "someone" did it already. Take Roon (or LMS, which I do not really know) and your wishes are fulfilled! The display as big as your tv is.
Ah, ok. Amazon as a must. Do not understand, in my opinion the recent app is pain in the a.. But my understanding is surely the last you will need. So you have to wait or you can immediately have a running solution. Up to you. You may have noticed the need for a keyboard is not very popular...at least what I have read in response to your suggestion.
Tablet or phone in the living room? Nothing new. A keyboard in the living room? No way! And a big screen with a moving arrow on it? Really?

Back