Digital volume control question - which is better?

No , but I have used a similar approach using a 10K stereo pot of good quality between my Dac and my Hypex . The WiiMs digital volume control sounds better. I had to try it though, because I wanted to know the quality of the digital volume regulation in the WiiM and I wanted to test a passive pot to see If it could be any better. I also had bad memories from my former Yamaha wxc50 that didnt sound really good when using the digital preamp.

All my doubts dissapeared when I later compared the WiiM pro/Rega dac R with a Linn klimax DS/0, using digital volume control on both players directly into my Hypex power amp. The digital volume control in the WiiM is very good sounding .

No , but I have used a similar approach using a 10K stereo pot of good quality between my Dac and my Hypex . The WiiMs digital volume control sounds better. I had to try it though, because I wanted to know the quality of the digital volume regulation in the WiiM and I wanted to test a passive pot to see If it could be any better. I also had bad memories from my former Yamaha wxc50 that didnt sound really good when using the digital preamp.

All my doubts dissapeared when I later compared the WiiM pro/Rega dac R with a Linn klimax DS/0, using digital volume control on both players directly into my Hypex power amp. The digital volume control in the WiiM is very good sounding .
Thanks for relating yr testing, I've tried controlling volume at diff points along the chain and cannot discern any diff, using the WiiM remote is def the most convenient ftw!

You made me think about it, coz I just fell into it that way and when I did think about it, it's from using Bubble all this time, I've mentally parked the Tidal app as non-functional, just tried it this way (via Tidal) and everything works as I want, the flat fact is I got the WiiM entirely to have one remote and to cut the tablet chains!
So, after using Bubble (free) for some time, WiiM Home (free) for a short time and now Tidal (not free) for a few days, the Tidal app by far and away is the worst, what a pos, it's play queue functionality and listening history is abysmal and/or non-existent.

Back