Dirac live room correction support

Dileepa

Please add Dirac live room correction to wiim mini - this would be an amazing way to bring room correction to the masses and dramatically would enhance music quality 😍

Goals - effective room correction for the masses
1. Easy to use and setup for people who aren’t technically minded, might get daunted with PEQ and other tools.
2. Effective room correction like with Dirac
3. Doesn’t require extra hardware to setup (bar maybe a high quality measurement mic)
4. Has headroom for pro’s to configure.
5. Costs less than available alternatives.

Last edited:
Dirac doesn't do magic. It's simple. That's it. With a parametric EQ/ convolver you can do the same basically for free. I've used Dirac before and was never happy because it's not without bugs.
Challenges is I’d be too scared to use Peq - every time I try I screw up the sound and convolver looks really complex (for me). However I recognise that both these tools might be more accessible to people more technically minded 😊

An alternative to your suggestions is compatibility with Room EQ Wizard. REW has a huge following already and is commonly used as an alternative to DIRAC. It's painfully easy to use as well and would probably not have any associated costs with being able to leverage direct output from the software.
To be honest - I had a look at REW first and found it very confusing 🙁

How do you learn REW / use it in your system? Are there any beginner / non-technical friendly resources you’d recommend I can check out to learn? 🙂

DIRAC ready with buying the licences at my expense is NO BRAINER! Definitly my wish for the Wiim Ultra

Diracs overpriced and not that great from my experience. Had far better results with HouseCurve app from my phone with my UMiK 1 or filters custom made by Home Audio Fidelity. Never got one satisfactory result in the 3 months I had a NAD with it built in. Always had off centre image as well after running it. Now i am stuck with a licence I can’t use as I got rid of the NAD as it was so unreliable had 3 replacements and all got different faults.

This question has been asked before and WiiM Support did not answer.
WiiM is very transparent so I don't think they are the issue.

It's very likely that Dirac would like WiiM to maintain the secrecy even though the collaboration may already be in progress, which means WiiM may not be in the position to even comment if they are working on it or not.

Based on the release history of Dirac on other equipment, this scenario seems likely. Annoying though.

Diracs overpriced and not that great from my experience. Had far better results with HouseCurve app from my phone with my UMiK 1 or filters custom made by Home Audio Fidelity. Never got one satisfactory result in the 3 months I had a NAD with it built in. Always had off centre image as well after running it. Now i am stuck with a licence I can’t use as I got rid of the NAD as it was so unreliable had 3 replacements and all got different faults.
@CrystalGipsy which NAD model are you experiencing Dirac issues with?

@CrystalGipsy which NAD model are you experiencing Dirac issues with?
I had a T778 no longer own it as it was to unreliable in other areas. I spoke to Dirac support and they were useless. The software was buggy on both Mac and windows and the app on iPhone even worse as well as the constant imbalance. They blamed NAD, NAD blamed Dirac. I could do readings using same mic via other means and no imbalance. It’s quite a common issue with Dirac if you google about it. I also didn’t like their approach to how you can manipulate the curve and the overall results where just not as good as using HAF filters via Roon or Even basic peq generated from House curve. On the NAD could not even do any speaker level adjustments after to compensate for the imbalance. Amps long gone as is Dirac don’t really miss it was more hassle than it was worth. Wish I had just stuck with the free version rather than waster the £100 on the upgrade.

I have a T758 v3 and using DIRAC for 5 years.
The real things you need to care is the measurements and measurements. 13 to 17 and well spaced between each point towards your "hot spot".
Mic & orientation / Calibration is also important.
If you do it properly (bunch of tutorial are available), the result is there and its works great.
If you do not follow a proper way, right it is unbalanced and the best is to redo the measurement again & again to get your expected result (sometime it took me 3 attempts).

Yes, but having to calibrate a couple of times until you get the desired result means the system is crap. I want consistent results with every calibration that is reasonably and carefully done. But that's exactly my experience too with Dirac: You can't trust it's results.

I went through it all still didn’t work. I am no novice to room correction been using it and measuring for it for years using REW and HAF. It’s just not good enough in Dirac from my experience and their support is useless. HAF I can work with Thierry to get something really special and he goes the extra mile.

If Dirac is not good as other say I’m pretty sure individual reviewer will give them negative feedback.

Personally I never understood the hype related to Dirac. My son is just the opposite, he loves it and spent hell of a lot money to get it running for a 5.1 system.
But he has the nerves and the willingness to learn and to dig deeper.
For our living room we did all with Roon, ARC and Muse which is not really self-explaining but made it much easier even for simple and lazy users like me, and I got help from a guy with the necessary equipment and knowledge.
What I very often notice is people mentioning all the different systems without having tried it. Often! Of course not always. All this solutions and tools are not trivial. All this solutions and tools have a good chance to make things even worse. So, if for example WiiM will get Dirac options it is not the end. It would be the start of a journey. And I bet this journey will be not as easy, cheap and successful as many think.
In case of my son I see the "normal" audio user development. Never satisfied, always fiddling to make it better. When he is on 8/10 and tries something new he does mostly not get to 9, but back to 6.

Last edited:
I think its effectiveness must be different for each room, for myself it works great, with very little knowledge.

Back