Double CD not playing in correct order

UweM

Hello,
I noticed that any albums which consist of more than one CD are not playing in the correct order. First is played the first track from the first CD and than the first track from the second CD (followed by the first track from the third CD ... ). After that the second tracks are played. It worked before, I think.
Does anyone else have this problem? I'm playing my music from a Volumio DNLA server. The files are in the correct order on the disk.

Best regards,
Uwe

One hand giveth, the other taketh away :)

I had noticed that when scrolling large lists of albums it seems to deliver ~200 at a time, at which point you need to swipe up from the bottom to load the next ~200. Did the track listing used to work the same way?

I admire your perseverance with the app.

You had to joke!

I've just updated the WiiM app to 2.4.5.230406 and whilst it looks like you can now list ALL your tracks, they've broken track ordering, and albums with DiscSubtitles now crash the app!

Looking at the MinimServer trace they're no longer requesting 200 items at a time so you don't need to swipe down to get the next set, which might be good, might be bad depending on how many tracks they need to display (thinking of JRiver poster who had ~4500 albums).

It seems like they've backed out the track order fix though because it's now no longer in the order the server sent it.
TrackOrder.jpg
The order should be that of the last number in the track title.

So this time it's literally one step forward two steps back (that I'm aware of)!

You had to joke!

I've just updated the WiiM app to 2.4.5.230406 and whilst it looks like you can now list ALL your tracks, they've broken track ordering, and albums with DiscSubtitles now crash the app!

Looking at the MinimServer trace they're no longer requesting 200 items at a time so you don't need to swipe down to get the next set, which might be good, might be bad depending on how many tracks they need to display (thinking of JRiver poster who had ~4500 albums).

It seems like they've backed out the track order fix though because it's now no longer in the order the server sent it.
View attachment 715
The order should be that of the last number in the track title.

So this time it's literally one step forward two steps back (that I'm aware of)!
Strange, because for me everything looks good now. I just checked again. Everything gets loaded at one go and the order of tracks is correct too.

Strange, because for me everything looks good now. I just checked again. Everything gets loaded at one go and the order of tracks is correct too.
What server are you using, because if the server sends originaltracknumber through, and they number it 1-X across the whole album then WiiM are respecting that, but that's not necessarily the order the server sent it (or at least it isn't for MinimServer because you can override it to whatever you want).

What server are you using, because if the server sends originaltracknumber through, and they number it 1-X across the whole album then WiiM are respecting that, but that's not necessarily the order the server sent it (or at least it isn't for MinimServer because you can override it to whatever you want).
Foobar2000 with UPnP plugin.

Wait. Are your files tagged correctly? Why does it show disc number and track number in your listed track names? Do you even have those tags?
In MinimServer you can customise the tags. In this case I've configured %Title% to be %TrackNumber% - %Title% - %TrackIndex% (the control point has no idea any of this has happended and just sees the value), and I've configured the sort order of tracks to be TrackNumber then TrackIndex, but it's actually being sorted by TrackNumber (which I set to 01 for everything to test this scenario) and Title.
If I open this album in BubbleUPnP/Hi-Fi Cast/mconnect it displays as it should.
They've defintely changed something around this area as my albums with disc subtitles now crash the app, but it's quite difficult to work out exactly what if you're saying your albums are now working.

I tried Mimim (again) just recently, but honestly, I'm too stupid for it and never could get my browsing tree and stuff the way I want it. But actually I was just looking for an alternative to foobar2000 because the server sometimes crashed when I accessed it from my Denon network streamer. With the Wiim it works perfect now. The server never crashed again and everything is super fast.
Sorry, can't help you with your issue. Maybe try again with a more basic setup of Minim. Or try foobar2000. I could give you a portable setup and all you'd have to do is link your libraries. Any specific reason why you use Minim?

Struggling to get the XML out of the foobar plugin, I'm not sure it logs it, but I saw Volumio mentioned earlier so might try that later.
I did notice though that there is still a paging limit though it now seems to be set at 5000.

I mainly use Minim because it gives me so much control over how things are displayed, but it's also very lighweight and fast. It's probably the closest thing to the foobar UPnP implementation there is in terms of customisation, without the need for Windows, or Wine I guess.

I had a quick look at the UPnP plugin last week (to help someone out) and unless you do some crazy title formatting I think the main thing Minim won't do is have defined drill hierarchies e.g. allow you first to choose Genre then immediately display the list of Artists, instead you'd need to choose the Genre index, pick a genre, then pick the Artist index and pick an artist.

If you can define what you're trying to achieve with MinimServer I can probably tell you how to configure it. Remember that these customisations require the licensed version though.

I'm happy with foobar and I've been using it for almost 10 years now. Especially because it's so lightweight and still highly customable. I tried Plex, JRiver, Musicbee, Minim, Asset and other music servers, but never could get things the way I'm used to with foobar. The upnp plugin is old but still excellent.

What version of the app do you have? I ask because I'm seeing the incorrect track order for multidisc albums for foobar too!
It sorts by tracknumber and then within that track title.

I'm happy with foobar and I've been using it for almost 10 years now.
And why wouldn't you be, it's from the author of BubbleUPnP!

Just in case you don't know you can force foo_upnp to display tracknumber next to title by changing:
Code:
Preferences > Tools > UPnP > Server > Content: Format track title using: %tracknumber% - %title%

Last edited:
I've tried AssetUPnP, LMS and Serviio and they're all incorrectly ordered, but it seems to be only albums with more than 2 discs for foobar (at least with my limited testing)!
Maybe after the last change - when they fixed it - someone raised a ticket because the tracks from their poorly implemented music server were now shown incorrectly, and someone at WiiM (without looking at the version control) just changed the code so it would fix the new ticket!

Tomorrow is the last day of my return window. Whilst it's fun testing this stuff out, they haven't actually achieved anything with the few changes they have made recently, and now my server of choice doesn't fully work whether I use a third-party or the WiiM app itself!

I've just had a quick look and it must have gone back to using <upnp : originalTrackNumber> then Title, like it did originally, except now - I'm assuming that - they're expecting originalTrackNumber to exist, because if it's missing (like with Disc Subtitles) it crashes.

foo_upnp is behaving strangely which is why it works for albums with 2 discs but not greater. If you made the change I suggested here and browse to a 2 disc album you'll see the track numbers are 101-115, 201-216 e.t.c., and because they're in order WiiM shows it "correctly", but if you browse a 3 disc album you'll see 1-15, 1-16, 1-X, which when ordered becomes 1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4.
I've had a quick look at foo_upnp and I can't see any way to change that, and because this plugin was abandoned back in 2016 it's not going to get fixed.

I guess someone should raise a ticket about this - again - explaining that the correct way is to use the incoming order of the xml, and if they want to add a fix for server X because it doesn't sort properly then they'll have to hardcode that exception in; don't break every other server because of one faulty implementation!

Back