Galaxy Tab, etc, for dedicated display recommendations please:)

RAAM

Major Contributor
I love the Wiim Pro Plus so far and started a thread about using an Android device without any WiFi turned on and received a great suggestion of using a Ethernet to USB adapter and plugging it into the Ethernet switch, which I plan to do unless something else turns out better.

I want to spend $100+- to get a used Tab, probably 6" so it can sit on top and look right together but will consider a bit bigger. Galaxy tabs come in A and S versions, some very low cost, I just want a nice clean display and ability to load all my CDs a SSD, micro SD(s), etc(mostly I stream on Qobuz) and operate the WiiM with the Tab. Since I have had Galaxy phones and my wife has used Tabs for many years I want to stick with one but just do not need a new one.

If there is something truly better and I am not into anything Apple, do let me know but the minimal version of a 6, 7 or possibly 8" tab, 6" would look best horizontally on top of the WiiM, 8" would look best vertically, your recommendation would really help.
Rick

Last edited:
Check that whichever app(s) you intend to use support both landscape and portrait mode.
For example, the wiim home app doesn't... not yet, anyway.

I use Qobuz so will have to check it out, thanks, I completely overlooked that issue!

I am leaning towards 8" and found the Qobuz android app on my wifes 10 Android Tab does work in landscape mode so will have to try it out though not sure whole well it might work yet as reading the thread on Qobuz Connect it is not out yet or at least a new version of it.

I use a Galaxy Tab S2 8" as my controller/display for WiiM Home. It has a far better display than the current generation of Samsung 8" Tabs and is the perfect size for the purpose. Live in hope that WiiM will eventually implement the long promised landscape mode for Android (how hard can it be?)

1701711685531.jpg

Thanks, very helpful info:)
Have you tried something like the Qobuz app? It is great for Android and does landscape mode.
Wow, can get a great used one for cheap, my favorite way to buy things!

As noted I want a wired connection so looking into the USB to ethernet cable option, I just need a new switch, going for the very good and reasonable cost, clean operating, Cisco, used well under $100 for 8 ports.

Have you tried something like the Qobuz app? It is great for Android and does landscape mode.

As noted I want a wired connection so looking into the USB to ethernet cable option, I just need a new switch, going for the very good and reasonable cost, clean operating, Cisco, used well under $100 for 8 ports.
Not a Qobuz user, but Amazon Music HD works in landscape and of course WiiM supports Alexa cast to play direct from Amazon Music app.

IMG_20231204_192537.jpg

I use a Galaxy Tab S2 8" as my controller/display for WiiM Home. It has a far better display than the current generation of Samsung 8" Tabs and is the perfect size for the purpose. Live in hope that WiiM will eventually implement the long promised landscape mode for Android (how hard can it be?)

View attachment 3794
See this comment for a workaround for landscape mode on Android which seems to work well for the WiiM app

Post in thread 'Android WiiM home app landscape mode support for tablets'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/...cape-mode-support-for-tablets.1796/post-26903

I'm sure I bought a brand new, fanless (quiet) netgear 8 port gigabit switch for around A$50 from Amazon.
$100 (US I assume) for a 2nd hand switch seems a lot! But maybe not for a cisco one?

I did a serious search a couple of years ago and it seemed the Cisco was the best for the money at the time, supposed to be very clean. I am not one to go nuts and spend thousands on a switch, just find the best I can for the money.

That Netgear is probably just fine and if you are happy with it that is all that matters anyway:)

I made an offer of $59 shipped on Ebay and just bought the Cisco switch, two years ago the best deal I found was $119 and with inflation, I got a good deal

And a Tab S2 8" 32gb, A plus screen condition, made offer, $75 shipped:)

I got the WiiM Pro Plus black Friday deal for $175 and an open box Topping E70 Velvet open box for $300.

WiiM Pro Plus $175
iFi ipower PS 59
Tab S2 75
Cisco router 59
Micro USB to Ethernet 8
Topping E70 Velvet 300 open box

Total $676

Anything beyond this starts jumping off a cliff in the law of diminishing returns which is fine for those so inclined but I just want really good music at a great price point and I am sure I will have it.

Last edited:
Thanks ccs-digital! I just got the Galaxy S2 today, mint condition, screen looks very good indeed, been outdoors for hours in 35 degree weather so a bit burned out right now, waiting on cable as well but I plan to put this into use Very Soon:)

The micro USB to ethernet adapter is due to arrive in a few hours, getting excited to get this all hooked up!

ccs-digital: I noticed another thread where it showed a bit of program editing to make this work, deffinately not my best area to work in, have not done anything in that realm since Win 95 came out and I stopped building computers. I will send a PM in case you do not see this.

I have compared the Tab S2 to my wife's pretty new 10" Tab, her old but still used Kindle Fire HD and to my less than a year old Fire tablet and the S2 is thinner, lighter and has a better display than all of them, heck of a deal for a really nice streamer controller!!!

The micro USB to ethernet adapter is due to arrive in a few hours, getting excited to get this all hooked up!

ccs-digital: I noticed another thread where it showed a bit of program editing to make this work, deffinately not my best area to work in, have not done anything in that realm since Win 95 came out and I stopped building computers. I will send a PM in case you do not see this.

I have compared the Tab S2 to my wife's pretty new 10" Tab, her old but still used Kindle Fire HD and to my less than a year old Fire tablet and the S2 is thinner, lighter and has a better display than all of them, heck of a deal for a really nice streamer controller!!!
Yes the S2 series were Samsung's premium tablets in their day and far nicer in terms of form factor and display quality than the current A series.

Other than installing the WiiM Home app from the Play Store there is no 'program editing' required - Home works fine under Android 7 which is the latest (official) version for the Tab S2.

You don't need to connect the Tab with Ethernet provided all devices are on the same network. I use wifi on the S2 to control my WiiM Pro's (both connected to my network by ethernet) and WiiM Mini (wifi connected to network obviously).

Thanks for the quick response!

I want to do this without wifi, just a wired connection and from what I believe I understand is it can be done using the USB to Ethernet for the S2 and of course Ethernet to the WiiM.

That is where I need some help, I saw a thread yesterday but cannot find it today that might have the answer I need but it does take some coding though there might be a way without it

Finally getting all the parts together to get back onto this little project, had to finish the front extension on the RV, roof insulation and new metal roof, fix a plumbing leak, plumb in an overhead shower into the ceiling, etc.......

I was attempting to update the tab to Android 7 last night but to tired to figure it out, seems there may be more than one way.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to do it?

Rick

View attachment 3794
hello. How about the performance of the wiim Home application on that tablet? Is it very slow or can it be used without despair? thank you

hello. How about the performance of the wiim Home application on that tablet? Is it very slow or can it be used without despair? thank you
I'd expect it to be fine. I use a very slightly newer Galaxy Tab A6, from 2016, and it runs fine, along with everything else on it such as bubble, spotify, netflix et al.

It's fine. The only issue is if WiiM stop supporting older Android versions in the future and the app ceases to work (although you could always install a custom ROM with a later Android version).

Back