How to access my Music library (which lives on an Ubuntu server) from Wiim app.

M1ke2345

Hey all,

I’ve got an Ubuntu server, that runs Emby for my TV & Movies (all works well).

I’d like to rip our CD collection to a share on the server, so that we can play it via any of our 3 Wiim Minis.

I can access what appears to be the Music share on the server using VLC (so I know DLNA is working), but when I select Browse>Home Music Share in the WiiM app, it finds the server (I can see the name), but then doesn’t find the folder(s) that VLC does.

All help welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1047.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
The WiiM app doesn't browse network shares it relies on DLNA/UPnP Servers. Do you have your music indexed by Emby? It sounds like it's found the server but there's nothing for the WiiM to play (only video)....maybe.

Last edited:
The WiiM app doesn't browse network shares it relies on DLNA/UPnP Servers. Do you have your music indexed by Emby? It sounds like it's found the server but there's nothing for the WiiM to play (only video)....maybe.
I can see the CDs that I have ripped so far in the Emby apps.

Thanks Everyone.

Something weird is going on.

Using VLC on my iPhone, I can see a load of albums, but only from George Michael, but using Emby shows the full amount of CDs that I have ripped. 😐

In your first post you said that the WiiM app "finds the server" but at that point DLNA wasn't even enabled, so can you describe (or post a screenshot) of what you see on the first screen after you Browse 'Home Music Share'.
As @Brantome suggests try another app, but the only server I've seen the WiiM app struggle to find is BubbleUPnP Server, which is surprising.
Do you have a firewall configured on Ubuntu?

EDIT: I just performed a vanilla install in a Windows sandbox, pointed it to a subset of my music library, enabled DLNA and it was discoverable from the WiiM app, so assuming you have enabled DLNA I'd imagine something is blocking the traffic.

Last edited:
is that because Bubble UPNP server is Openhome, not vanilla UPNP?
I think the server needs to implement the OpenHome protocol in order to operate with an OpenHome renderer but I'm not actually sure, but that's not the problem.
If you're on the Home Music Share screen and then go to BubbleUPnP Server and proxy MinimServer (or any music server) then it's immediately displayed in the WiiM app, otherwise it doesn't find it. It's very odd!

I have this problem. I have shared a folder with Ubuntu's media sharing. Two Windows machines can see it. VLC on my phone can see it (and to do that, you have to go to the UPnP option, so the DLNA server that Ubuntu uses, rygel, is turning that on) . A linux laptop can see it. But the Wiim Home app does not see it.

You could use minidlna as a server : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MiniDLNA
Thank you. This worked. It was easy to set up.
I followed this guide, the first one I found:
I changed only two lines:

• the friendly name for the server
  • the directory for my music

Back