Incorrect reported bitrate

adias

Major Contributor
I have noticed that when a stream is cast from a stream app the reported bitrate is not accurate.

Just try a known stream app, say from KUSC or BBC, etc. cast that to WiiM and check the reported bitrate.

I have noticed that when a stream is cast from a stream app the reported bitrate is not accurate.

Just try a known stream app, say from KUSC or BBC, etc. cast that to WiiM and check the reported bitrate.
Thanks very much for your feedback and we will check this issue immediately.

What casting method are you using?

It occurs both with Chromecast or Airplay. Probably too with Alexacast.

Examples:

Chromecast from BBC Sounds (320kb/s) it shows on WiiM 24 bit 48kHz.

Airplay from KUSC AAC 96 kbps, WiiM reports 900kb/s, 16 bits, 44.1kHz

Both wrong and inconsistent display of stream parameters.

I sent a feedback message to WiiM and it appears that they are looking into it.

Thanks - I think we’ve seen that 900 kbps figure mentioned before, either here or on ASR, maybe even around UPNP and LMS if memory serves me well. Hopefully WiiM can nail it down and fix it

Chromecast from BBC Sounds (320kb/s) it shows on WiiM 24 bit 48kHz.

Airplay from KUSC AAC 96 kbps, WiiM reports 900kb/s, 16 bits, 44.1kHz
Both are in fact plausible.

The BBC Sounds content has to originate from / decode to something, and one would imagine it probably started out at 24/48. I don't know whether the BBC Sounds app casts off to WiiM or proxies through the app. If the latter then WiiM could simply be seeing PCM.

If the KUSC AIrPlay is being sent from the iDevice as ALAC then the bitrate and format sound about right.

Both are in fact plausible.

The BBC Sounds content has to originate from / decode to something, and one would imagine it probably started out at 24/48. I don't know whether the BBC Sounds app casts off to WiiM or proxies through the app. If the latter then WiiM could simply be seeing PCM.

If the KUSC AIrPlay is being sent from the iDevice as ALAC then the bitrate and format sound about right.
The KUSC stream is 96kbps…

The KUSC stream is 96kbps…
Yes but as a general rule the receiving iDevice will send the decoded stream over AirPlay in ALAC 16/44.1, for which a data rate of 900kbps would not be unreasonable.

The Pro used to show sample frequency/bit depth of chromecasted streams. I no longer see them.

IMG_9111.png

Funny! The Chromecast UI was ‘enhanced’… by removing its characteristics.

Also… that firmware rev 2.7.5 was made a long time ago. With much more recent updates, even up to a week or so ago, I could see the sample frequency and bit depth…

Also… that firmware rev 2.7.5 was made a long time ago. With much more recent updates, even up to a week or so ago, I could see the sample frequency and bit depth…
It's the app, not the firmware. Was included in the latest update, at least on Android.

As per my screenshot, that app (not firmware) update was only two days ago on iOS. The android app update is similarly dated 22Dec.

It's the app, not the firmware. Was included in the latest update, at least on Android.
Thanks for the clarification.

I hope they reconsider, decode the metadata and display it. I opened a ticket. Let’s see what the reaction will be.

I hope they reconsider, decode the metadata and display it.
I‘d take from what they say is that the information isn’t reliable so it’s better not showing it than having people dispute it. In my case, I’d probably see the info on the amp my WiiM is connected to if I wanted - these days I tend to look at the numbers less and less and trust my ears.

I hope they reconsider, decodethe metadata and display it.
I‘d take from what they say is that the information isn’t reliable so it’s better not showing it than having people dispute it. In my case, I’d probably see the info on the amp my WiiM is connected to if I wanted - these days I tend to look at the numbers less and less and trust my ears.
Sure, but trust and verify. :)

Back