Bitrate not showing

corya86

Hi, I have a Wiim Pro that was showing the bitrate near the album title within the Wiim Home App. I am using YT music and was seeing 24 bit audio. Now after a couple firmware updates, it is missing. What gives? I'm really bothered by this and want to see the bitrate.

Yeah they should decode the sample frequency and bit depth and display that. I understand bitrate can vary; perhaps they could display its average or maximum.

The release notes from about 3 weeks ago for v2.7.5 of the iOS WiiM Home app (and I’d guess the same for Android version but I can’t see old release notes on the Google play store) stated under “Enhanced UI for ChromeCast” that the “display of sample rate and bit depth has been disabled to ensure accuracy” which is probably a roundabout way of saying they couldn’t be sure of the accuracy of info they could extract from the ChromeCast stream. It was discussed at the time on the forum.

It’s probably a bit moot for YouTube Music as even its premium quality is only 256kbps AAC so the display would likely not change.

Edit: I see elsewhere that you said you saw 24/96 Chromecasting YouTube Music. As I say above, YT Music is lossy 256kbps AAC not lossless hi res 24/96, so that underlines how unreliable that information was.

Last edited:
It costs 320 kbit/s somewhere, although I know for sure that it is FLAC or Hi-res.What does it mean?
Not sure if I understand your question, but this link shows that at its highest quality over wifi, that Youtube Music only delivers up to 256kbps AAC which is often compared to lossy 320kbls MP3, so it is neither lossless hires nor FLAC

320KB/S is supposed to be capable of CD quality, but it seems dependant on if the compression has kept the dynamics properly.
I have heard some 320kb/s that sound great, and some lossless that sound dreadful.
It's more about mastering than anything else I feel.

320KB/S is supposed to be capable of CD quality, but it seems dependant on if the compression has kept the dynamics properly.
I have heard some 320kb/s that sound great, and some lossless that sound dreadful.
It's more about mastering than anything else I feel.
Lossless CD is 1411kbps (2*44.1*16) so, not while not denying that mastering is extremely important, I feel it’s stretching it to say that 320Kbps at a quarter of the bitrate is CD quality. It might well be derived from an excellent master, but it still doesn’t make it CD quality.

Back