No sound, regardless of output or bitrate settings

warland

Hi all.

Today I stopped hearing sound from my Wiim Pro after installing a new DAC in my system. I have tried both optical and coax outputs, making sure that the proper output was selected in the app. No combination of bitrate and bit depth settings will produce a test tone. I tested all cables and sources. The new DAC works using other both coax and optical from other sources, and I tried reinstalling my old DAC, which has worked fine with the Wiim Pro for the last year--still no sound. So, pretty sure the issue is with the Wiim. The Wiim is connected to the network and looks like it's playing on the app, but no sound.

Thanks for any advice for what to try next!

Chris

Thanks for the replies! I have rebooted as well as restored factory settings. And I have tried two different DACs through both optical and coax, set to their respective correct settings. I also reset my router.

Chris

Hi all, this has resolved for now, but not in a satisfying way. At one point I returned to my living room to find the test tone playing. However it stopped again when I moved the device back into its position on the shelf. I was able to get it to play again after repeatedly jiggling the coax cable at the output jack and it works as long as I position the cable just right. Probably an issue with that output, or maybe the cable, but that doesn't explain why I couldn't get it to work through optical output either. Anyway, it works now as long as I don't touch or move it.

Thanks
Chris

I wonder how your WiFi is at that spot, and whether the signal is getting interference from some other component nearby. Moving your coax cable around may be having some weird antenna effect

Or there could be a single connection along the SPDIF pathway on the PCB that has a cold solder joint or somesuch.

Hi all, this has happened to me twice now, but only after I had switched on the Anthem Receiver and WiiM Pro. I did provide the WiiM Pro with a wall socket with a switch, so that I can always turn it off completely when I am not using it. The first time I had sound again by turning the receiver off and on again and the second time I got sound again by changing the output in the WiiM app from Coax out to Optical out and back to Coax out. Could this possibly be because I completely disconnect the WiiM Pro from the power when I don't use the WiiM Pro?
Or is it better not to completely disconnect the Wiim Pro from power when you are not using it?

Last edited:
The first time I had sound again by turning the receiver off and on again
I can't see how this could affect the pro's output at all.
Does the avr have any auto Input switching?

If you think it migbt be related to turning it off then, as @BucYouUp68 says, just leave it on.
If it happens again then at least you know that's not the cause.
fwiw, I have a 2nd mini in a headpone only setup that only gets turned on when i use it, and have never had this issue.
All my other wiims are just left on, but even after a power outage (planned or otherwise), I've never had this.

Back