low volume when using optical input from Samsung TV

poltroon

I have tried connecting my TV (Samsung JU6400) to both line-in and optical-in on my WiiM Pro. Both work, but the optical signal results in much lower volume. I need to turn the volume up high which is painful when I forget to turn it down again later The line-in signal results in roughly the same volume as streaming from the various services, or ChromeCast, or playing local media. But optical input is much lower.

Maybe this is just how it is, but hopefully I've missed a setting somewhere in the TV . There are not many audio related settings to play with and I've tried most of them. There are similar forum entries for other models of TV, but no real fixes except to ensure the TV is set for PCM output.

I can't see a way in the WiiM to influence the volume for this one input. The volume control and EQ apply to all inputs equally as far as I can tell. I have another device with both aux and optical outputs, so I'll try that and see if it shows the same behaviour (need to find some new cables first).

Any other suggestions?

I have tried connecting my TV (Samsung JU6400) to both line-in and optical-in on my WiiM Pro. Both work, but the optical signal results in much lower volume. I need to turn the volume up high which is painful when I forget to turn it down again later The line-in signal results in roughly the same volume as streaming from the various services, or ChromeCast, or playing local media. But optical input is much lower.

Maybe this is just how it is, but hopefully I've missed a setting somewhere in the TV . There are not many audio related settings to play with and I've tried most of them. There are similar forum entries for other models of TV, but no real fixes except to ensure the TV is set for PCM output.

I can't see a way in the WiiM to influence the volume for this one input. The volume control and EQ apply to all inputs equally as far as I can tell. I have another device with both aux and optical outputs, so I'll try that and see if it shows the same behaviour (need to find some new cables first).

Any other suggestions?
Wait for the per-input settings, due soon-ish.

Wait for the per-input settings, due soon-ish.
That sounds perfect. Thanks. Don't know how I didn't find that whilst browsing around the forum.

Just testing the new pre-source volume feature on my WiiM Pro. Really wish for one more improvement to this new feature.

If the source specific volume could be fixed.

Optical 100% fixed volume
WiFi source 60% fixed volume
Analog in 80% fixed volume

This would be the best possible solution for my use case as am using my amp for volume control but the optical out from my TV is also very quiet so need to keep adjusting amp volume when changing sources.

Great software in any case 😀

Reactions: aux
Just testing the new pre-source volume feature on my WiiM Pro. Really wish for one more improvement to this new feature.

If the source specific volume could be fixed.

Optical 100% fixed volume
WiFi source 60% fixed volume
Analog in 80% fixed volume

This would be the best possible solution for my use case as am using my amp for volume control but the optical out from my TV is also very quiet so need to keep adjusting amp volume when changing sources.

Great software in any case 😀
Yes that would be ideal in my case too. For now I just allow volume control, but preferably I’d like fixed volumes to prevent extremely loud sounds on accident.

Back