Using a Wiim mini to increase optical input from my TV.

audiobliss

Major Contributor
I have been trying to solve the problem of my TV optical output being much lower than other sources going into my dac/preamp. I have tried all the little converters with supposedly volume adjustment that Amazon sells.
None increased volume, just attenuate it.

So after reading a tread pertaining to Wiim as a volume control for analog output of a turntable, I started thinking. I know my Wiim Pro has volume capability, but I never moved it from max as it's main use is for bit perfect highest resolution.
So now I am thinking, and I hope someone can confirm this, if I bought a mini and dedicated it just for TV duties, would it actually be able to solve this issue.
Would it be able to take the optical input and output it as a increased analog output into my preamp? Sound quality won't really matter, it's just TV.
I know I could just buy one and try it, and I will also need a aux to rca cable, but if it could actually help to match the tv volume, with the volume the Pro puts out from its maxed output when streaming, or even closer, it would save me lots volume aggravation.

On second thought, maybe I could just try the tv optical going into my Pro, which I have never done, just to see how the volume is coming out the RCAs. If it's a improvement, I would think the mini would be also.
Any thoughts welcome.

Back