just getting started - how long to pre-cache artwork LMS?

mgh24

Trying to get some sort of decent UI running on Wiim Home app. Have added some recommended plugins, and rescanning LMS library. It appears I am stuck on pre-caching art work, been at the task for going on 3 hours so far.
Is this normal?
Also, when using my Squeezebox, I am able to sort by album-artist. Wiim Home only shows album, or artist. Combining the two as Squeezebox does is much better for me. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to sort this way?

Many thanks.

IMG_1622.JPG

+1
Use Material

The pre caching of artwork depends upon how many albums you have and the size of your cover art files. We can’t see how many albums you are scanning from that screenshot. However I have known that process hang on first run. You may have to reboot the device.

Why not just use the Material skin on your mobile device?
Did not know that was possible, had only read of it in regards to LMS.

There is a way to install it in Wiim Home app?

At present, accessing LMS through Wiim Home is not what I would call attractive, would love to find out what options are available!

Thanks for all the help.

The scan progress shows 0 of 509, so I thought that meant it was working on that many files.

Don't use the wiim app, just run Material directly to your lms instance, and cast to the wiim from there.

Don't use the wiim app, just run Material directly to your lms instance, and cast to the wiim from there.
Still couldn't figure out how to run it in/from LMS (I do have the Material plugin active). Did find instructions how to open Material with LMS IP address in browser in my iOS device, and share to my desktop. It was funky getting it to play properly, (or get it setup correctly), but it did work!

Hopefully no more issues with it.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Well crap. It works, but a few to several second delay between touching play and the song playing. Wiim Home plays pretty much instantly.

Well crap. It works, but a few to several second delay between touching play and the song playing. Wiim Home plays pretty much instantly.
That doesn't sound correct. Where is LMS installed? What are you playing - local files or streaming service.?
More info needed.

LMS installed on Windows10 PC. Streaming local files over wifi. Spotify works fine connected to the Wiim.

It started working reliably, then I took a break

Now, later, the Material shortcut opens the UI, but it skips through songs, like it can't read the files. Occasionally stopping on one and begins to play - not always the same song even.

I do not have my Squeezebox connected to receiver, but plugged it into the wall to check it out. No issues playing music. Wiim Home has no issues playing music.

I guess I can't complain, the Wiim plays reliably with their software, but I would really like to be able to sort music differently. And a search function that works out of the box. Wiim Home will not search my local files, which is unfortunate.

Nice device, but does not appear to be nearly as polished as LMS was/is. I'm hoping it is just settings buried somewhere, but I have not been able to find them.

I'll work on it some more tomorrow, pretty discouraged tonight.

Are your local files flac or alac? Or something else? I believe there have been issues with Alac when using LMS reported before not necessarily related to the Wiim

Are your local files flac or alac? Or something else? I believe there have been issues with Alac when using LMS reported before not necessarily related to the Wiim
WiiM doesn't play ALAC through the squeezelite interface. It's been reported but I'm not aware of any intention to change/fix that.

I guess I can't complain, the Wiim plays reliably with their software, but I would really like to be able to sort music differently. And a search function that works out of the box. Wiim Home will not search my local files, which is unfortunate.
If you want to use the WiiM Home App to play your local music then you really need a UPnP server.
I assume you're using the LMS UPnP media interface plugin that really isn't up to the job, isn't recommended and hasn't been updated in years.
As @Mr Ee says, if you want to use LMS then you need to use Material skin not the WiiM Home App.

Given you're on Windows you could install a UPnP server and have them running alongside each other and access that through the WiiM Home App.
MinimServer is probably the best free option, but the WiiM Home App itself is quite limited so it may not give you all you need (although that combination will give you an AlbumArtist index).

If you want to use the WiiM Home App to play your local music then you really need a UPnP server.
I assume you're using the LMS UPnP media interface plugin that really isn't up to the job, isn't recommended and hasn't been updated in years.
As @Mr Ee says, if you want to use LMS then you need to use Material skin not the WiiM Home App.

Given you're on Windows you could install a UPnP server and have them running alongside each other and access that through the WiiM Home App.
MinimServer is probably the best free option, but the WiiM Home App itself is quite limited so it may not give you all you need (although that combination will give you an AlbumArtist index).
Well, or @mgh24 could bulk-transcode everything to FLAC, which is always going to be the more portable and universally-supported file format. DBPowerAmp would be an excellent tool for this regardless of platform. And IMHO, it's a tool that everyone with a large digital library should have.

Well, or @mgh24 could bulk-transcode everything to FLAC, which is always going to be the more portable and universally-supported file format. DBPowerAmp would be an excellent tool for this regardless of platform. And IMHO, it's a tool that everyone with a large digital library should have.
I don’t think he has said they are ALAC files. It sounds like a networking issue to me.

It is happening with both FLAC and ALAC files. Again, all files play using Wiim Home, so wouldn't that confirm that server is running?
Material Skin is the piece that is not working for me. It plays files occasionally, but randomly.

@simbun - I am about ready to try a different server software. What app would I use on iOS to access files running on new server software?
I'm hoping something like MinimServer would walk through setting up upnp during installation?
And yes, I have been using the LMS upnp plugin.

Appreciate all the help!

It is happening with both FLAC and ALAC files. Again, all files play using Wiim Home, so wouldn't that confirm that server is running?
Material Skin is the piece that is not working for me. It plays files occasionally, but randomly.

@simbun - I am about ready to try a different server software. What app would I use on iOS to access files running on new server software?
I'm hoping something like MinimServer would walk through setting up upnp during installation?
And yes, I have been using the LMS upnp plugin.

Appreciate all the help!
So, when you say you are using the LMS UPnP plugin, is that the UPnPbridge plugin by Philippe? Or is it the upnp media interface plugin?

I have to use the media interface. Using the bridge plugin will not display my server in WHA.

Now, the media plugin is not even showing up on the list of 3rd party plugins.

The media interface plugin is old and not really recommended. Trying to integrate two separate software systems (WHA and LMS) the way you are trying to do is going to be hit and miss. Material is really just a different way to view the LMS system.

Looks like I need to try a different server software.

What do I use as a "player" for something like MinimServer? Using iOS.

Thanks

Back