Logitech Media Server

To what end? The WiiM devices and app are media players and control points respectively, why would WiiM need to be a media server too?

To what end? The WiiM devices and app are media players and control points respectively, why would WiiM need to be a media server too?
There was (briefly) a fully prebuilt LMS server but such a thing doesn’t exist at present. The need to build your own server is still a block to some. Roon will sell you a vastly overpriced server - Nucleus.

Picoreplayer (runs on pi only) offers both a player (squeezelite) and LMS - a one box solution, assuming you've bought and built the hardware. A similar option for Wiim could be a selling point for logitech fans.

Picoreplayer (runs on pi only) offers both a player (squeezelite) and LMS - a one box solution, assuming you've bought and built the hardware. A similar option for Wiim could be a selling point for logitech fans.
I’m sure Philippe would love to make his upnp plugins compatible with a native WiiM LMS server 😂😂

There was (briefly) a fully prebuilt LMS server but such a thing doesn’t exist at present. The need to build your own server is still a block to some. Roon will sell you a vastly overpriced server - Nucleus.
I think it’s one thing implementing the squeezelite client as a feature on WiiM, but wouldn’t you run the risk of clashes with different libraries and versions if you implemented LMS? Say one LMS plugin required a particular version of a library that differed from the one the Wiim firmware already had, might that not have repercussions for other features on the platform unless LMS ran in a sandboxed container?

I think it’s one thing implementing the squeezelite client as a feature on WiiM, but wouldn’t you run the risk of clashes with different libraries and versions if you implemented LMS? Say one LMS plugin required a particular version of a library that differed from the one the Wiim firmware already had, might that not have repercussions for other features on the platform unless LMS ran in a sandboxed container?
I don’t think so as LMS and all it’s plugins are written in Perl but I wasn’t advocating that WiiM do it. Just explaining why the subject has come up.

What would be a winner is LMS onboard!

Time to revisit an onboard LMS (now known as as the Lyrion Music Server) perhaps, as an option to replace the Amp's & the imminent Pro Plus's stock (ReadyMedia/miniDLNA based) onboard media server?

Last edited:
Sorry, yes the upcoming WiiM Ultra.

Silly really, as reading the Ultra's proposed spec a few minutes ago is what prompted me to search the forums!

Last edited:
And so you’d just use a browser etc to access it as if it were an LMS instance on an external Pi, for example? And have it play locally to itself and/or other LMS players? Mmm, wonder if the current non-Mini models have the CPU/RAM to support that, it would certainly save having to host it on another device…

Edit: thinking further, adding plugins etc and the resultant device storage management might be an issue. As it stands, you could see the current WiiM firmware as being “read-only”, with no feature to allow users to add their own plugins

And so you’d just use a browser etc to access it as if it were an LMS instance on an external Pi, for example? And have it play locally to itself and/or other LMS players? Mmm, wonder if the current non-Mini models have the CPU/RAM to support that, it would certainly save having to host it on another device…
Indeed - the latest development LMS runs very well on my old RPi2, but that's all it's doing.

Edit: thinking further, adding plugins etc and the resultant device storage management might be an issue. As it stands, you could see the current WiiM firmware as being “read-only”, with no feature to allow users to add their own plugins
WiiM could police the plugin adding process, but that might lead them open to a whole load of unwanted LMS support issues.

Back