WiiM Home App see files on Logitech Media Server?

Hollywood

Major Contributor
Recently WiiM upgraded their Pro firmware so that Logitech Media Server (LMS) player software sees a WiiM Pro as a Squeezelite player. I hope I described that correctly. It eliminated a buggy LMS plugin. This works GREAT!!!!!!!

Is it also possible to upgrade the WiiM device or app so that the WiiM Home App can see and play files (to a Wiim player) that are on a LMS? There is also an LMS plugin for this but it displays all Artists rather the Album Artists and is no longer supported.

Thanks!

So you're asking WiiM to spend development effort to implement an interface using the LMS API so that you don't have to install a UPnP server? This would be a huge undertaking (with little reward) when compared to the squeezelite implementation.

Given that there are UPnP servers that far exceed the indexing capabilities (tag support and presentation) of LMS, and that you're the only person asking for this, it's never going to happen.

If you want this, as I've said before, install LMS in docker and a UPnP server alongside.

It would be really good to get an official WiiM response on this so that @Hollywood can move on with his life ;)

So you're asking WiiM to spend development effort to implement an interface using the LMS API so that you don't have to install a UPnP server? This would be a huge undertaking;)
I didn't ask anyone to do anything. I noted that LMS player software can now see WiiM players.

As it is WiiM software plays music from a Music Server, be it a Streaming Service or a data drive on your local network containing your own library. Both that hard drive connected to a router or PC (or whatever) AND LMS are MUSIC SERVERS. I asked IF it is possible for the WiiM app and players to be able to access files on a LMS too.

I do not know what is involved, but there are reasons to sometimes use the WiiM Home App, like for the Amazon Music support. If it is too much work, perhaps the answer will be no. WiiM made the firmware change to let LMS see WiiM devices. This was one of the incompatibilities that was addressed. I pointed out this other incompatibility is WiiM seeing an LMS library. As a WiiM user, I am not a programmer, but WiiM did show interest in LMS compatibility so I asked about the support for the above.

My life is just fine, thank you. The WiiM system is great. The LMS system is great. I'm not sure what server/software system you are suggesting, but I went with LMS and it was fairly simple and I am very happy with the results. At first there were 2 plugins that made it possible to use WiiM with LMS. WiiM added firmware to eliminate the need for one of the plugins. I simply asked IF it was possible to eliminate the need for the other plugin so the WiiM sees what is also on a music server. Not everything is compatible with everything else, but I just asked the question.

You sound upset that I might or would ask WiiM to divert resources to this. Like I said, I don't know what is involved and I apologize for asking the question because I misunderstood what the purpose of a user forum is. Again, sorry @simbun.

Let’s cool our jets please on this as the subject has been gone over several times already in previous conversations.

Personally, I don’t see WiiM expending any effort on this since, as has been said, there are readily available solutions such as MinimServer and AssetUPnP (and others) which will allow the WiiM Home app to access a library of music, arguably with better tagging and control than what that unsupported LMS plugin offered.

The existence of a deprecated LMS plugin in an otherwise lively user development environment which presents an LMS library to a upnp control point also suggests that few have an appetite or need for what that plugin did. Also, just because the Squeezelite client exists and has been implemented by WiiM, it does not necessarily suggest that the converse is easily possible or even desirable.

Can we leave it at that please?

Last edited:
just because the Squeezelite client exists and has been implemented by WiiM, it does not necessarily suggest that the converse is easily possible or even desirable.
It was a question. Thank you for your thoughts and explanations.

I didn't ask anyone to do anything.
What did you mean by this then?
Is it also possible to upgrade the WiiM device or app so that the WiiM Home App can see and play files (to a Wiim player) that are on a LMS?
How are they going to upgrade the WiiM device or app without doing any work?

My life is just fine, thank you. The WiiM system is great. The LMS system is great. I'm not sure what server/software system you are suggesting
I would suggest you run MinimServer alongside LMS, which I explained some aspects of in great detail to you in this post recently.

You sound upset that I might or would ask WiiM to divert resources to this. Like I said, I don't know what is involved and I apologize for asking the question because I misunderstood what the purpose of a user forum is. Again, sorry @simbun.
I'm not upset, but this is just one of many, many instances where you've asked exactly the same question (the most recent being this post), and had the same replies. This is why I asked for a response from @WiiM Support as you're clearly not going to accept one from anyone else.

As I said in the post I just referenced, I'll/we'll be more than happy to help you install a UPnP server alongside LMS if you really want access through the WHA, but if you don't want to do that then realistically your only hope is that WiiM build usable indexing from a fileshare at some point.

My last 2p on this.

WiiM Pro as Squeezelite player works perfectly.

If I want to use WHA to play Amazon or anything else then all I do is open the app and hit play. If I want to play something from LMS I open Material and hit play. Amazon etc stops, LMS starts.

The only reason I can see of exposing my LMS files via UPnP would be to allow the Mini to work without using the UPnP Bridge plugin which some people report is still a little flaky although that isn't my experience at all - but I don't fast forward, hit next or seek inside tracks.

Some keep suggesting that @Hollywood should install a separate UPnP server and point it at the same files which is on the face of it the sensible approach however they may have missed that he has a pCP/LMS install on a Raspberry Pi. You cannot install a separate UPnP server on this OS.

Some keep suggesting that @Hollywood should install a separate UPnP server and point it at the same files which is on the face of it the sensible approach however they may have missed that he has a pCP/LMS install on a Raspberry Pi. You cannot install a separate UPnP server on this OS.
I know you can't do it with piCorePlayer, that's why I said you'd need to install LMS in Docker.

Out of interest, if you're not using it as a player what does piCorePlayer give you over a standard LMS install? I assume it's just a simpler install.

Last edited:
I know you can't do it with piCorePlayer, that's why I said you'd need to install LMS in Docker.

Out of interest, if you're not using it as a player what does piCorePlayer give you over a standard LMS install? I assume it's just a simpler install.

Has he even got a NAS? I thought his files were on an SSD attached to his Pi.

It is probably a simpler install for a newcomer.
I run both a pCP/LMS and a LInux/LMS both connected, one via NFS and one via SMB, to files on my NAS - the NAS is too old to run Docker but still perfectly capable of fulfilling its primary function - serving files.
I do have a Plex server on other hardware that connects to the same NAS and I could have a music library and switch on Plex's UPnP/DLNA support but actually I only use it for Video.

I suspect its the Mini and other devices that makes @Hollywood want to have a UPnP server somewhere.

Has he even got a NAS? I thought his files were on an SSD attached to his Pi.
I think he bought the 8GB Pi so he could install Linux and run it from that.
As I mentioned on one of the previous posts, this does increase the maintenance/complexity somewhat, but it's the best way to do it, but you could equally just stick a UPnP server on another Pi and point it to the fileshare that LMS exposes.

I suspect its the Mini and other devices that makes @Hollywood want to have a UPnP server somewhere.
I didn't mean to sound aggresive or angry, I just want him to be happy, and there are solutions for what he wants, but hoping the WHA will communicate with LMS is not one of them.

I didn't mean to sound aggresive or angry, I just want him to be happy, and there are solutions for what he wants, but hoping the WHA will communicate with LMS is not one of them.
Agree. LMS just isn't a UPnP server.

Back