Metadata

jeremyrose

Not sure if 'metadata' is the correct title for this thread... :unsure:
I set up my new WiiM Pro Plus a few days ago and I'm loving it but I'm still finding my way around...
When I listen to UK BBC Radio 3 via the BBC website on my MacBook, details of the music being played are displayed. Is there any way that this option is possible when I play Radio 3 via the WiiM Home app..?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

You could use the BBC Sounds app and cast to the Wiim Pro Plus.

Brilliant - thank you..!
One further question... Is it therefore possible to add Radio 3 as a preset on WiiM via BBC Sounds rather than via the drop-down list on the WiiM app home screen, or will I have to access 'manually' via BBC Sounds. Thanks again...

Casting to your WiiM Pro Plus from the BBC Sounds app doesn’t mean that the WiiM app will show what’s playing other than the station logo, you’d need to just use the BBC Sounds app instead and read programme/track info there instead.

And yes, you can set a BBC Radio station as a preset from the list in the BBC section in the WiiM Home app, that again will only show the station icon, not what’s playing, and may only deliver a lower quality stream.

Thanks very much indeed for all this...

Up until now I've been streaming radio and Qobuz content to my home hi-fi via my MacBook Air and a years-old Apple AirPort Express. Suddenly controlling everything from my 'phone takes a bit of getting used to! I bought the WiiM Pro Plus in order to get improved sound quality and although I'm very pleased with the quality I'm getting from Qobuz, it's very interesting to learn that listening to Radio 3 via the list in the WiiM Home app might actually deliver a lower quality stream. The BBC Sounds app seems to give me exactly what I need, though...

The WiiM app is probably using the international URLs for its BBC stations and those are capped at a lower resolution than UK users - using the BBC Sounds app or specific UK URLs in the Open Network Stream section in the WiiM Home app will get the higher quality streams but again in the latter case without metadata

What's the big obstacle with metadata? The digital audio world seems to be stuck in the 80s and cannot manage even the audio equivalent of teletext.

Well, if there was a standard for transmitting the metadata that all internet radio stations adopted then maybe that’d happen. Plus I’d guess that fact that radio stations are transmitted as a continuous stream and not individual tracks might have something to do with it too.

Back