multi room listening with Wiim amp to active speakers

JayRP

Just got my Wiim Amp up and running over the weekend and I am loving it so far!! I have my Wiim amp connected to my main listening area, currently using it to stream via airplay and Spotify, connected to my TV by HDMI Arc and connected to my turntable via line in. I have a few active speakers throughout the house, is the best (only?) way to implement multi room listening to buy a Wiim Mini and connect it to those speakers? If I do that would I be able to say play something on my turntable via the line in to the amp and broadcast it to multiple speakers?

Is the best (only?) way to implement multi room listening to buy a Wiim Mini and connect it to those speakers?
The best way would be to use a WiiM Pro Plus, but the mini would do the job albeit with a worse DAC, assuming that you will be using line input to the speakers, and some other missing features.

What other features would I need besides the Wiim amp, Wiim Pro Plus (or mini) and the active Bluetooth speaker? My current speakers I was hoping to group with this are the Kanto Syd speakers which do have a line in.

Pro and pro plus support wired ethernet, mini is Wi-Fi only. Pro and pro plus have a more powerful SOC to support additional features such as Chromecast, LMS and whatever else is in development. Pro plus has a better DAC, otherwise you can add a cheap DAC such as the SMSL SU-1 to the mini or pro.

you actually have quite a few options for multi room. The Amp supports AirPlay so you can combine it with any other AirPlay speaker from your phone. It also supports AirPlay broadcasting so it can initiate then stream for its own RCA/HDMI/optical inputs. It also supports the squeezelite protocol so can be combined with other Logitech squeezeboxes or devices that emulate them. Presumably it will be Roon Ready like the Pro and Pro Plus so can you can use Roon for multi room too. If you want to use your current active speakers then you could use Wiim minis or Pro/Plus. Or you could get a second hand squeezeboxes too.

Back