My new Wiim Pro

• Thread starter Deleted member 2191
  • Start date
I’d say a lot of people connect their WiiM Pro over optical or coax to an external DAC - that way the WiiM device is acting as a streaming transport and will deliver a bit prefect stream to your DAC of preference, perhaps exploiting the strengths of each device.
Just to be clear (to me), is the digital stream that is outputted to the coax or spdif is the same from a WiiM Pro (or Pro+) as the most expensive streamer? As long as you don't alter it (EQ or pEQ), the data stream is bit for bit in to out?

Assuming the above is correct, what are the qualifications to get an exact output? Any WiiM settings? No EQ? What about variable vs fixed volume?

Again assuming the above is correct, would that mean the only "x-factor" in subjective listening or measurable tests would be from the DAC and amp choice?

If what I wrote is incorrect, can anyone please explain in not too technical terms?

Thanks!

Just to be clear (to me), is the digital stream that is outputted to the coax or spdif is the same from a WiiM Pro (or Pro+) as the most expensive streamer? As long as you don't alter it (EQ or pEQ), the data stream is bit for bit in to out?

Assuming the above is correct, what are the qualifications to get an exact output? Any WiiM settings? No EQ? What about variable vs fixed volume?

Again assuming the above is correct, would that mean the only "x-factor" in subjective listening or measurable tests would be from the DAC and amp choice?

If what I wrote is incorrect, can anyone please explain in not too technical terms?

Thanks!
Digital output from WiiM devices is bit perfect if fixed volume is set and EQ is off, so yes the “x-factor” would then be from the connected external DAC or amp.

Thanks!
I’d say yes you are correct.
Some people will claim that the power supply to the digital steamer and/or the cable to the DAC influences the audio. I can’t see how.

Just to be clear (to me), is the digital stream that is outputted to the coax or spdif is the same from a WiiM Pro (or Pro+) as the most expensive streamer?
No, it is not. But it can be indistinguishable from better streamer content on the DAC side if handled correctly.

I wouldn't mention an analog domain when discussing about the quality of the streamer connected to the external DAC.
I misunderstood your post, sorry.
I've never said it's difficult, just that in my case I find it disproportionate to use my DAC.
But I also said that it could be different for those with smaller DACs and more practical use.

I’d say yes you are correct.
Some people will claim that the power supply to the digital steamer and/or the cable to the DAC influences the audio. I can’t see how.
I wouldn't say the cable, the power source very little for listening purposes but clearly visible for instrumental analysis.
Even a mechanical perturbation of the box that contains the clock source generates visible perturbations on the instruments. Some claim to be able to defuse them when listening... in my experience this is impossible, but there are those who claim to be able to.

I would argue that dac is important because conversion to analog has some small or higher distortion. Then on this signal ( with varying degree of distortion depending on dac) another distortion is applied by the pre amplifier stage then another distortion from the power amplifier and then another from speakers . So you need to have the initial signal as pure as you can to maintain the best possible signal integrity until it reaches the speakers

I wouldn't say the cable, the power source very little for listening purposes but clearly visible for instrumental analysis.
Even a mechanical perturbation of the box that contains the clock source generates visible perturbations on the instruments. Some claim to be able to defuse them when listening... in my experience this is impossible, but there are those who claim to be able to.
Are those the same people that rely on the LEDs on their DAC in order to be assured that they are getting 24/192 or whatever?

I would argue that dac is important because conversion to analog has some small distortion then on this signal ( with varying degree of distortion depending on dac) another distortion is applied by the pre amplifier stage then another distortion from the power amplifier and then another from speakers . So you need to have the initial signal as pure as you can to maintain the best possible signal integrity until it reaches the speakers
Clearly the DAC is THE most important part of the chain. The streamer provided it is competently manufactured (and here we are really only talking about some kind of SBC running some version of Linux) has almost no bearing on the resulting audio.

Clearly the DAC is THE most important part of the chain. The streamer provided it is competently manufactured (and here we are really only talking about some kind of SBC running some version of Linux) has almost no bearing on the resulting audio.
I don't really agree.
By far the most important part of the chain are certainly the speakers.

I don't really agree.
By far the most important part of the chain are certainly the speakers.
Sorry. I wasn’t clear.
I meant important so far as the digital bit was concerned. I totally agree that speakers are the most important part of any HiFi.

Sorry. I wasn’t clear.
I meant important so far as the digital bit was concerned. I totally agree that speakers are the most important part of any HiFi.
As far as the digital part is concerned, the DAC is certainly the most important component.
Bearing in mind that what we listen to is the analog stream, i.e. the product of everything that comes after the DAC.
I have read some references to the harmonic distortion, but in the analog part there are even more important problems to take into consideration.

Getting a good analog chain presents much greater difficulties than the digital one.

Digital output from WiiM devices is bit perfect if fixed volume is set and EQ is off, so yes the “x-factor” would then be from the connected external DAC or amp.
kindda a side question, but if you have an external digital source like a CD player plugged into the digital input of the Wiim, would it also pass to the WiiM's digital outputs "bit perfect"? I had a somewhat high end streamer (~$900) that I returned. It also had digital inputs and outputs, but it only sent the internal streaming to the digital outputs and the external digital inputs were forced through the units internal DAC to analog output. Since I have a digital amp that was a deal breaker.

kindda a side question, but if you have an external digital source like a CD player plugged into the digital input of the Wiim, would it also pass to the WiiM's digital outputs "bit perfect"? I had a somewhat high end streamer (~$900) that I returned. It also had digital inputs and outputs, but it only sent the internal streaming to the digital outputs and the external digital inputs were forced through the units internal DAC to analog output. Since I have a digital amp that was a deal breaker.
I think in this case you’d be ok but I haven’t tried it.
The ADC part is only 16/48 (if you can tell between 16/48 and 24/96 or 24/192 without the aid of LEDs) but that’s irrelevant here. My understanding is that digital in is passed to digital out unaltered.

kindda a side question, but if you have an external digital source like a CD player plugged into the digital input of the Wiim, would it also pass to the WiiM's digital outputs "bit perfect"?
No. It's transparent when omitting a time period but it also reclocks the incoming signal, so sooner or later it will alter the data in the stream.

Back